Page 18 of 61 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718192021222328 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus

Gold Poster

Default Re: Coronavirus

We have 560,000 cases in this country. Travel bans are helpful, but when the virus was already out of China, a travel ban without testing is useless. This is especially true when we already had cases in the U.S. in January. Every other country had to deal with a lack of transparency from China and some did it well and others did it poorly. The guy who compared Covid-19 to the flu in March did it poorly.

Countries that put into place social distancing restrictions as soon as they had community spread have fewer deaths per capita than we do. This includes Canada, Australia, and Norway. But there are many others if you'd like to take a look. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Trump would not have needed the previous Supreme Court case to be able to shut down travel from a country during an epidemic. The previous case was only contested because Giuliani and others made it clear that the motive for their ban was based on the Muslim population of the selected countries. Additionally, you mentioned the first amendment in a previous post which you also don't understand. You don't have a first amendment right to post on a private forum because the entire bill of rights only proscribes government conduct.

I actually think you're a Trump supporter or you wouldn't possibly be able to think he did a competent job. In late January the characteristics of the virus were known, including how transmissible it is, the case fatality rate, and even the genome sequence. It was not only sequenced in China, but French scientists sequenced it before the month of January ended.

We also have reports of hospital workers who had to wear trash bags to work and re-sterilize masks for weeks on end. The President has a tool called the Defense Production Act which allows him to have any manufacturer make these things. He preferred to let front-line health care workers not have equipment than to invoke it. But yeah sure, being the leader of the richest country in the world and endangering health care workers by not providing them the right equipment is a sign of competence.

3 out of 4 members liked this post.

Gold Poster

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status...44477547753473

Here is a graph showing the curves of other countries. As a helpful hint, a flatter curve is a good sign.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Check the dates?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The-Media-is-Clueless.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	406.2 KB 
ID:	1243705  

Last edited by african1; 04-13-2020 at 02:52 AM. Reason: Adding Attachment

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by african1 View Post
    He wrote this on March 12 and is exactly right. A ban can help but it's not sufficient. How does a travel ban stop the spread of a virus that is already in your country? We already had community spread at this point. We now have more cases than any other country.

Gold Poster

Check the dates?
    Holy shit. A New York Times tourism reporter wrote something on February 5th, which definitely means it's not the President's fault that our country, the wealthiest in the world, had among the lowest test rates per capita in the industralized world while a pandemic was sweeping our country. Great work.

Quote Originally Posted by broncofan View Post
    Holy shit. A New York Times tourism reporter wrote something on February 5th, which definitely means it's not the President's fault that our country, the wealthiest in the world, had among the lowest test rates per capita in the industralized world while a pandemic was sweeping our country. Great work.
    There you go again with the lowest test rates per capita. This is claim is a strange and crazy as Trump trying to seal off the Southern Border with a wall and using the example of Israel border with Egypt as an example. Yea a border that is 150 miles long and still cannot be 100% secured.
    I swear some people must brain-dead when regurgitating the news. America is a vast country. You cannot compare it to S. Korea where 60% of the population live in the Capital Seoul, or Germany, a country the size of New Mexico. We are at 3 million tests, More than any country by far. S.Korea has 500k, yet the media is not satisfied. Besides why do you need to test a bunch of rednecks scattered around the countryside when they only meet once or twice a year during a holiday. NYC and the big metropolitan areas testing is going well.

This is why I am starting to see the bias in the left. An establishment I belonged to for so long.

1 out of 2 members liked this post.

Why no comments on this? or it it too much to handle?

And the NYT opinion page reflects the view of the editorial board. I just don't have time to sip through more articles but they were behind as well.

Gold Poster

There you go again with the lowest test rates per capita. This is claim is a strange and crazy as Trump trying to seal off the Southern Border with a wall and using the example of Israel border with Egypt as an example. Yea a border that is 150 miles long and still cannot be 100% secured.
    I swear some people must brain-dead when regurgitating the news. America is a vast country. You cannot compare it to S. Korea where 60% of the population live in the Capital Seoul, or Germany, a country the size of New Mexico. We are at 3 million tests, More than any country by far. S.Korea has 500k, yet the media is not satisfied. Besides why do you need to test a bunch of rednecks scattered around the countryside when they only meet once or twice a year during a holiday. NYC and the big metropolitan areas testing is going well.

This is why I am starting to see the bias in the left. An establishment I belonged to for so long.
    You not being on the left is not a loss to anyone . If you want to control community spread you have to have a high percentage of tests in every area there is an outbreak. We have outbreaks now in every region of the country. South Korea tested people when they were actually able to perform contact tracing. We now are doing better per capita than we were but it matters when you test. If you wait for a disease to get out of control and then test, it is a lot less useful.

I read about 40% of people who take a test in New York test positive. This is a sign that even now testing is not very good. Your President is going to be judged by how well he controlled outbreaks, not by what Sean Hannity and you have to say.

The reason I didn't mention your wall of articles is that it looks like you copied it from someone else and I'm not able to see them or the dates. President Trump comparing covid-19 to the flu in March isn't made better by other people doing it in February. Your argument is that it's okay if he's incompetent as long as some other people were.

Further, you didn't respond to a single part of my argument on the last page. How does a travel ban help when you already have thousands of undetected cases in your country? How does it help when you have more cases than the countries whose people you're banning?

2 out of 3 members liked this post.