Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c7486380e478daa4424b1cac7562557c.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	1154850

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Default Re: Just what is Religion?

Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    I don't believe it's that simple. Religion can be used to control people, but that doesn't explain the root origin of religion or even how it can be used as a mechanism of social or political control. Religion, I think, is based in humankind’s deep need for meaning. This craving, as any craving, can easily be - and has been - exploited by those who seek wealth, power and sometimes just self-aggrandizement. Still, the pursuit of meaning quite justifiably persists independently of those who would use it perversely.
    I agree with your description of religion, as providing meaning. However, to this I would like to add the concept of 'connection'. On a lower level, one often forms a connection, with a personal religious community. Then there is a movement, sometimes called a denomination. It is a connection to people unknown personally, but with the connection that these people share similar beliefs/ideology. But in addition, the ideology I know intimately, connects one to nature, all humanity, the earth, and to the greater universe, since God is defined as the creator of all. I will add that sometimes the connection is about about all people in act inn certain ways towards others regardless of their belief system. Jesus put forth this concept in his well known story, about The Good Samaritan. some background of that, was I learn that Samaritan did believe in God, however they did not believe the entire scriptures of the time. So they were looked down upon by a large segment of Hebrews. Another fact I heard, about the story, but have not personally confirmed, was that the Samaritan community, had rejected Jesus message directly, shortly before he told the story. If this is true, and I believe it is, then he was saying that a person's actions were more important, than following him, (and this would include worship, in my book). In one of favorite Bible passages, Jesus says. "That which you to to the least of them, (or my brethren), you do unto me." And those that did not, he tells to get our of his presence. And this was an allegory about judgement Day. So you can guess where those others,(the goats), were headed.

So in summary, the religious aspects of 'connection' is also about how we treat each other.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.