Page 23 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1318192021222324252627283373 ... LastLast

Default Re: US Elections 2020

Quote Originally Posted by blackchubby38 View Post
    Could you imagine trying to get someone to vote on a weekend during the middle of football season.

Most of the times that I have voted, its been either before I went into work or coming home from it. So there are ways to get around Election Day not being a national holiday or on a weekend. If you request a day off from work, most employers will honor that request. So just do the same for Election Day.
    Quite frankly, I no longer care how people want to vote in the United States. I’m always going to vote, otherwise I feel I’d be giving up the right to bitch and complain..lol. I honestly

3 out of 3 members liked this post.

The quote should’ve continued : I honestly believe that it should be a little inconvenient to vote. I think people should give pause to the moment. There are areas around the world ...many areas, not just a few, where voting can mean actually risking your life...for real, but when given the opportunity, they still come out and do it. Think of what their answer might be , to a complaint of the line being a little too long...or in fact, any complaint that has to do with “social distancing”.

So yeah, my opinion - most voting should be done in person. I’m always going to feel that way because of the importance of it. That’s what voting means to me.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Should voting be compulsory? Barrack Obama thought so, and famously, or notoriously, Australia has a voter turnout of 90-91%, though attending the polling station and being given a ballot doesn't mean the vote itself can take place -the voter can write on the paper 'I'd rather have a cold beer' or something more provocative...so it doesn't mean the State has taken away the right of people to refuse to participat, just made it more annoying. Two articles -one on Australia, the other more general put the case for and against. https://www.theguardian.com/australi...-from-trumpism https://www.psa.ac.uk/insight-plus/b...pulsory-voting

Gold Poster

I'm in between Fred's view and compulsory voting. I don't think anyone should vote who actually doesn't want to or won't even fill out a ballot. But I think our democracy wants to know what leaders people prefer, not what sacrifice they'll make to place their vote. So I think it should be made reasonably convenient but also ensure the integrity of the election and prevent fraud to a reasonable degree. I think mailing does that and even if it's not the norm I think it's perfectly reasonable where there's a pandemic and people face unequal risks and in person voting might prevent some people from voting.

Senior Member Veteran Poster

I wonder if its just coincidence or its because she is one of Minnesota's two senators that Amy Klobuchar's was one to make the announcement about the additional charges against the cops in George Floyd case. Or is it because Biden has already made up his mind about her being his running mate and just hasn't made the announcement yet.

One more thing about Biden's vice president nominee. Because of the death of George Floyd, progressives would have a problem with him picking someone with a background in law enforcement. Which not only effects Klobuchar's chances, but Harris' as well.

Cynical Idealist 5 Star Poster Fitzcarraldo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackchubby38 View Post
    One more thing about Biden's vice president nominee. Because of the death of George Floyd, progressives would have a problem with him picking someone with a background in law enforcement. Which not only effects Klobuchar's chances, but Harris' as well.
    What about Val Demings? She was police chief in Orlando (and her husband was formerly sheriff of Orange County), but she's black and female.

"We can't seem to cure them of the idea that our everyday life is only an illusion, behind which lies the reality of dreams."--Old Missionary, Fitzcarraldo

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzcarraldo View Post
    What about Val Demings? She was police chief in Orlando (and her husband was formerly sheriff of Orange County), but she's black and female.
    I would be all for it. But like I said in my earlier post, there are some progressive who don't want him to pick anyone with a background in law enforcement. Even if they are a minority.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

I’m starting to hear Tammy Duckworth mentioned a lot. She does have an incredible biography.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

21at Century America -but the machines don't work. Looks like this will be the most contested election, at so many levels...

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...er-suppression

1 out of 1 members liked this post.