Page 17 of 81 FirstFirst ... 712131415161718192021222767 ... LastLast
    filghy2 Silver Poster

Default Re: US Elections 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    Can the Party Conventions, and indeed, the General Election be postponed, and should they be?
    It should be easy to find another way to do the party conventions. I'm not sure about the legalities on the election, but If the US hasn't yet found a way to do it without having voters stand in lines for hours it seems unlikely it will be able to do so in less than 8 months. There's obviously a concern that Trump will abuse the situation if it looks like he would lose. https://www.politico.com/news/magazi...lection-134349

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Senior Member Veteran Poster

Can the Party Conventions, and indeed, the General Election be postponed, and should they be?
    I don't think either the Ohio or Connecticut primaries should have been postponed and the same goes for the remaining ones. If things have gotten back to normal by the summer, I say go ahead with the Party Conventions.

But under no circumstances should the General Election be postponed. With all this uncertainty and people being on edge, we need to have some stability and to remind people that life will go on once we get to handle on this thing. We didn't postpone elections during WWII or after 9/11. Democratic societies find a way to soldier on during times of crisis and make sure one of the principles of said society, free and fair elections, take place.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

I think I read that the Democrats may pospone their Convention by a month, to August, but I assume that too can change.

Meanwhile I seek clarification of 'mail ballots' which I assume are what we call postal votes in the UK?

“Mail ballots are a very dangerous thing for this country,” the president said. The ballots are “forgeries in many cases - it’s a horrible thing,” he added, citing no evidence to back the claim.
    Trump himself voted by mail — in March. "
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...log-navigation
    -posted at 23.29pm

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Quote Originally Posted by blackchubby38 View Post
    I don't think either the Ohio or Connecticut primaries should have been postponed and the same goes for the remaining ones. If things have gotten back to normal by the summer, I say go ahead with the Party Conventions.

But under no circumstances should the General Election be postponed. With all this uncertainty and people being on edge, we need to have some stability and to remind people that life will go on once we get to handle on this thing. We didn't postpone elections during WWII or after 9/11. Democratic societies find a way to soldier on during times of crisis and make sure one of the principles of said society, free and fair elections, take place.
    The BBC looks at this:
    Coronavirus: Could Donald Trump delay the presidential election?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52326166

Senior Member Gold Poster KnightHawk 2.0's Avatar

I think I read that the Democrats may pospone their Convention by a month, to August, but I assume that too can change.

Meanwhile I seek clarification of 'mail ballots' which I assume are what we call postal votes in the UK?

“Mail ballots are a very dangerous thing for this country,” the president said. The ballots are “forgeries in many cases - it’s a horrible thing,” he added, citing no evidence to back the claim.
    Trump himself voted by mail — in March. "
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...log-navigation
    -posted at 23.29pm
    Not surprised that Donald Trump thinks Mail Ballots are a very dangerous thing for the country,because him and his cronies are trying to surpress the votes,even though he voted by mail last month.

Joe Biden has said that he intends to nominate a woman to run as his Vice-President. The article linked below argues that choosing a woman from the Senate might weaken the Democrat presence there, if its Elizabeth Warren, but probaby not if it were Kamala Harris, the difference being that a Republican might win in Massachusetts, but not in California.
    It seems the choices are: a) a Senator; b) a Congressional Rep; c) a State Governor; d) a Mayor; or e) someone else.

Thus:
    Elizabeth Warren
    Kamala Harris
    Amy Klobuchar
    Gretchen Whitmer
    Meghan Rapinoe
    Michelle Obama
    Mrs Robinson
    Angelina Jolie
    Any thoughts?

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/biden-choo...154412390.html

Last edited by Stavros; 04-22-2020 at 07:04 PM.

Senior Member Veteran Poster

Joe Biden has said that he intends to nominate a woman to run as his Vice-President. The article linked below argues that choosing a woman from the Senate might weaken the Democrat presence there, if its Elizabeth Warren, but probaby not if it were Kamala Harris, the difference being that a Republican might win in Massachusetts, but not in California.
    It seems the choices are: a) a Senator; b) a Congressional Rep; c) a State Governor; d) a Mayor; or e) someone else.

Thus:
    Elizabeth Warren
    Kamala Harris
    Amy Klobuchar
    Gretchen Whitmer
    Meghan Rapinoe
    Michelle Obama
    Mrs Robinson
    Angelina Jolie
    Any thoughts?

My pick would be Amy Klobuchar. I think you need someone from the mid-west to help balance the ticket and I found her impressive during the Democratic primary.

To soothe any hurt feelings, I would sell Elizabeth Warren on the idea of being the Secretary of Treasury and Kamala Harris on a nomination for the Supreme Court.

Senior Member Gold Poster KnightHawk 2.0's Avatar

Thus:
    Elizabeth Warren
    Kamala Harris
    Amy Klobuchar
    Gretchen Whitmer
    Meghan Rapinoe
    Michelle Obama
    Mrs Robinson
    Angelina Jolie
    Any thoughts?

I think that Kamala Harris would be an excellent candidate for Attorney General,because she has the experience and was a prosecutor and District Attorney of California,and Amy Klobuchar as Joe Biden's running mate for Vice President.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Agree that Klobuchar would make a good running mate. I prefer to keep Warren, Harris and Sanders on the Senate; we need people there.

4 out of 4 members liked this post.
    "...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Gold Poster

I've seen two interviews with Stacey Abrams, who ran against the shmuck in Georgia who is trying to open all of the nail salons, and I liked her. About a month ago I saw a bunch of articles about how she would be a good vp candidate and I agree. I haven't heard anything since. I don't know whether she would be better than anyone who's previously been mentioned, but she's not in Congress and she is smart, which tends to help.