Page 78 of 81 FirstFirst ... 2868737475767778798081 LastLast
    Senior Member Veteran Poster

Default Re: US Elections 2020

I want to be really CLEAR about something. Trump, Giuliani, Hawley, Cruz, etc.... are responsible for what happened on Wednesday. The people who stormed the Capital are responsible for their own actions and should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

But trying to understand how it could happen, along with everything else that has been going on in this country for the past 4 years, is not the same thing has condoning or making excuses for people's actions. Rather trying to figure how we can learn from our mistakes and move forward as a country. That point is made repeatedly in the video and is something I happen to agree with.

Because as scary as it might sound, someone worse and more competent than Trump can come along and exploit the divisions in our country and do a better job at succeeding where he and his cronies failed.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.
    Last edited by blackchubby38; 01-10-2021 at 08:53 PM.

Rookie Poster

Quote Originally Posted by blackchubby38 View Post
    I think I have an idea on what you're trying to say and think its better illustrated in this point:

That puts it a lot better than i can lol , thank you for posting it. I wish I could remember that professor’s name, if only for my curiosity of what she’s doing now.

0 out of 1 members liked this post.

Gold Poster

The video presupposes that there is a way that the mainstream media could have responded to what Trump did that would have avoided the harm. If the media said there was systematic electoral fraud (which is false) that wouldn't have avoided the violence but would have encouraged more. If they opposed it more stringently, then they could be blamed for people lashing out.

I'm sure there are problems with the media in this country, but there was no way to cover what Trump did that would have reduced the fury of his followers. The job of the media is to report the truth. There is no way to present their actions except as wholly dishonest and dangerous.

Every mainstream news feed I've seen other than fox news has said the election fraud allegations are false. That is a non-partisan and factual view.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by sidney111 View Post
    That puts it a lot better than i can lol , thank you for posting it. I wish I could remember that professor’s name, if only for my curiosity of what she’s doing now.
    When you post other people's views and say this is what I think it's easy to ignore the contradictions. The article you posted said that 68% of Republicans think the election was not fair.

The cause of that is not media polarization. It is people telling them things that aren't true. Q anon, OANN, Fox News have told people things that can't stand up to scrutiny. You can't blame media outlets that rebutted these lies for people choosing to believe them.

These views have all of the coherence of Republicans who say that if Trump is impeached the impeachment will be the cause of more violence. So much for the party of personal responsibility. If upholding the constitution causes people to violate it that's quite a paradox. If pointing out that Donald Trump is lying causes people to believe those lies well then we might as well not even try to be honest. Well done.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Katherine J. Cramer?

https://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/2016/11/16/13645116/rural-resentment-elites-trump

2 out of 3 members liked this post.
    Last edited by Stavros; 01-10-2021 at 09:29 PM.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

This article from last November by Joan Williams is sort of like a companion to Cramer-

https://hbr.org/2020/11/how-biden-wo...-working-class

But it begs the queston -can Biden deliver jobs in 'Middle America', ravaged by Covid -?

Rookie Poster

Damn that’s impressive ��

Rookie Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    This article from last November by Joan Williams is sort of like a companion to Cramer-

https://hbr.org/2020/11/how-biden-wo...-working-class

But it begs the queston -can Biden deliver jobs in 'Middle America', ravaged by Covid -?
    At the moment I’d say no, but if they go on a rebuilding American infrastructure plan, which I seem to vaguely remember reading about, possibly they could provide new jobs.

filghy2 Silver Poster

Yes I do include the mainstream media (not saying there as fanatical) who have been on a slow descent since the fair and balanced reporting law was removed https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FCC_fairness_doctrine.

from the replies, it seems this moment will change nothing, and we will still be on the race to the extremes, for me that’s a shame, but being old and not living in the USA , won’t affect me a lot.
    You still haven't put up any evidence for your claim that both sides are equally responsible for what has happened - or at least that the other side bears a large share of responsibility. You can't enter a discussion, not provide evidence for your argument, and then complain when other people don't accept it.

If you think that what happens in the world's major democracy won't have any effect on you then I don't think you've thought about it very deeply.

Last edited by filghy2; 01-11-2021 at 02:13 AM.

Rookie Poster

Quote Originally Posted by filghy2 View Post
    You still haven't put up any evidence for your claim that both sides are equally responsible for what has happened - or at least that the other side bears a large share of responsibility. You can't enter a discussion, not provide evidence for your argument, and then complain when other people don't accept it.

If you think that what happens in the world's major democracy won't have any effect on you then I don't think you've thought about it very deeply.
    Well considering I’d just come from viewing the Tgirls with really hard full erections thread, you could be right