Default Plane hits NYC High-Rise

Is anyone else watching this? One word: fuck!

-Quinn

Life is essentially one long Benny Hill skit punctuated by the occasional Anne Frank moment.

Rookie Poster

thats a few blocks away from me I can see the smoke from the building and the 100 choppers above.

5 Star Poster

Incredible, the confusion over whether it was a heli or fixed-wing. They're saying it was a plane now, but...no one saw it? It wasn't a lightning bolt, it was a craft flying down the East river!

Professional Poster

RIP ! Yankee Pitcher Corey Lidle

Lots of small planes zig-zag in that area. I wonder if someone important to an industry was inside that plane.

5 Star Poster

I showed the unfolding story to my roomate just now. She said, "Did you hear the military planes taking off all night?" I live in the basement, and we live a few miles from the airport where planes can be heard all the time, so I hadn't heard anything unusual. She said a friend of hers who 'monitors the news' says we're deploying to Iran.
    My reaction to this has run the range of emotions from alarm to dismissal so far. Still, if the s--t's going down, well, there you are.

Still Here 5 Star Poster

Holy Shit. The plane was registered to Yankee's Pitcher Cory Lidle.

Platinum Poster JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel's Avatar

Default .................................................

As a Yankees fan, I'm in shock

snɯıʇdo snʇoʇ soʌ oloʌ

In the hearts of the kind, and in the fears of the wicked.

Oct 11, 4:49 PM EDT

Small Plane Hits NYC Building; 2 Die

By COLEEN LONG
    Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK (AP) -- A small plane crashed into a 50-story condominium tower Wednesday on Manhattan's Upper East Side, raining flaming debris onto the sidewalks below and rattling New Yorkers' nerves five years after the Sept. 11 attack. Police said at least two people were killed.

The FBI and the Homeland Security Department said there was no evidence it was a terrorist attack. "The initial indication is that there is a terrible accident," Homeland Security spokesman Russ Knocke said. Nevertheless, fighter jets were sent aloft over U.S. cities as a precaution, the Pentagon said.

The twin-engine plane came through a hazy, cloudy sky and hit the 20th floor of The Belaire - a red-brick tower overlooking the East River, about five miles from the World Trade Center - with a loud bang, touching off a raging fire that cast a pillar of black smoke over the city and sent flames shooting from four windows on two adjoining floors.

Firefighters shot water streams of water at the flames from the floors below and put the blaze out in less than an hour.