Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Gold Poster

Default Re: Not so Serene Serena

Men are also penalized for murder more often than women and it doesn't imply they're treated more harshly.

The question is not who is penalized more but who is penalized more per infraction. I can guarantee you men break a lot more racquets and hit a lot more balls out of the court. I can't believe anyone would even write up this statistic without considering that it doesn't take into account the primary issue, which is how many penalties they receive given their conduct. It would require comparing the outcomes above to an objective standard which is sometimes not held.

I'm sure Trump supporting cleats50 who is downvoting every post that implies maybe the umpire did not have to deduct a game from Serena will like this but it doesn't even address the main issue.

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by blackchubby38 View Post
    Report: Men penalized significantly more than women in tennis

Following her controversial loss at the U.S. Open last week, Serena Williams has sparked a conversation about equality in tennis.

Williams was fined $17,000 for three code violations in the final match. The chair official first penalized Williams for illegal on-court coaching, which she denied and said she did not see. She then picked up a penalty for smashing her racket, and then a third after calling the official a thief after she believed she was unfairly penalized.

Williams pleaded her case to other officials who were called to the court, and called out what she sees as a double-standard in the sport — saying that male tennis players never face harsh penalties like hers for similar actions.

However, in the four Grand Slam events over the past 20 years, men have been penalized significantly more often than women, according to a New York Times report on Friday.

The report, looking at fines data at Grand Slam events from 1998 to 2018, found that women were fined 535 times, while men were fined 1,517 times.

Women only outnumbered men in two categories over the past two decades — racking up 152 fines for coaching, compared to just 87 for men, and 10 no press fines, compared to just six for men.

Here are some of the biggest fines, from the New York Times:

Racket Abuse — Men 646, Women 99
    Audible Obscenity — Men 344, Women 140
    Unsportsmanlike Conduct — Men 287, Women 67
    Verbal Abuse — Men 62, Women 16
    Ball Abuse — Men 49, Women 35
    Visible Obscenity — Men 20, Women 11

The biggest fine in which women were fined for more than men, coaching, is the one that Williams picked up her first penalty for during her loss to Naomi Osaka — which sparked the other two penalties.

Courtesy Yahoo Sports.
    Men are also penalized for murder more often than women and it doesn't imply they're treated more harshly.

The question is not who is penalized more but who is penalized more per infraction. I can guarantee you men break a lot more racquets and hit a lot more balls out of the court. I can't believe anyone would even write up this statistic without considering that it doesn't take into account the primary issue, which is how many penalties they receive given their conduct. It would require comparing the outcomes above to an objective standard.

I'm sure Trump supporting cleats50 who is downvoting every post that implies maybe the umpire did not have to deduct a game from Serena will like this but it doesn't even address the main issue.

Gold Poster

For instance, when Roger Federer, the multi-year sportsmanship award winner, says the word shit to the umpire during a changeover and doesn't get penalized we take that into account. We could have a ratio of penalties to (penalties plus unpenalized infractions). You could also consider penalties that were given but not warranted even under a strict interpretation and consider it separately. But the above numbers say nothing bc men engage in much more obvious abuses than women and more often.

Senior Member Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by broncofan View Post
    For instance, when Roger Federer, the multi-year sportsmanship award winner, says the word shit to the umpire during a changeover and doesn't get penalized we take that into account. We could have a ratio of penalties to (penalties plus unpenalized infractions). You could also consider penalties that were given but not warranted even under a strict interpretation and consider it separately. But the above numbers say nothing bc men engage in much more obvious abuses than women and more often.
    If Federer just says the word "shit", wouldn't that fall under the category of "Visible Obscenity" and not "Verbal Abuse"?

Gold Poster

If Federer just says the word "shit", wouldn't that fall under the category of "Visible Obscenity" and not "Verbal Abuse"?
    Yeah I'm pretty sure it's audible obscenity, which when I looked at the rules includes any word commonly recognized as profanity. Verbal abuse is what Serena did by accusing the ump of being a thief.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Report: Men penalized significantly more than women in tennis
    This is not the key point, which is not only the lack of consistent decision making by umpires faced with code violations,but that Carlos Ramos, who we are told is a strict enforcer of the rules does not apply them constently in the games he chairs.

Ramos has also been accused of inconsistencies. At this year’s Wimbledon quarter-final between Novak Djokovic and Kei Nishikori both players threw their rackets to the ground in frustration. However, only Djokovic was issued a warning and directed a comment at the umpire during the game: “Double standards, my friend, double standards,” he told Ramos.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/oth...yers-1.3623344

I see that Serena is the target of white male abuse again. I can't think of another player, male or female, who is on the receiving end of such abuse. I find it sad that men are even saying these things in 2021, but I guess the fact of life is that there are some men who will always assume their views are not controversial or offensive, when they are. I don't hear people saying Federer shoud quit because he has two ageing parents and two sets of twins to look after, or that Djokovic should be banned because of his suspect politics.

"Tiriac was speaking on a Romanian television show when asked if he had doubts before Simona Halep’s 2019 Wimbledon final. He responded by referring to Williams, Halep’s opponent, as a “monster”. “At this age and the weight she is now, she does not move as easily as she did 15 years ago,” he said. “Serena was a sensational player. If she had a little decency, she would retire.”
    "Tiriac has directed similar comments towards Williams numerous times. It reflects what Williams has had to deal with throughout her career. Even when there is no reason for her name to cross any lips, at some point she will always have to deal with racist and/or sexist comments from people in positions of prominence within her own sport.
    It is worth recalling some of the incidents. Two years ago, in the early months of her return from maternity leave, Tiriac decided to shame her weight: “With all due respect, she is 36 years old and 90 kilograms,” he said to the German magazine Sport Bild. “I would like to see something else, I would like to see a player like Steffi Graf.” In 2017, shortly after Williams announced her pregnancy, Tiriac’s good friend and countryman Illie Nastase, Romania’s Fed Cup captain, commented on Williams’s unborn child during the tie against Great Britain. “Let’s see what colour it has. Chocolate with milk?” he said.
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/bl...isogyny-racism

Senior Member Junior Poster

1 out of 2 members liked this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Budweiser View Post

I have seen this cartoon somewhere before, and it has never made me smile. I wonder why.

0 out of 1 members liked this post.

Senior Member Junior Poster

I had to simply use the smile emoji because I could not find a ROTFLMFAO type of emoji. LOL!

1 out of 2 members liked this post.