Senior Member Platinum Poster

Default A Constitutional Convention?

I was actually thinking about this the other day, without knowing how it can be done. The question is, if there were to be a Constitutional Convention, would it not be obliged to consider amendments from all Americans rather than just a few nutcases from the Republican Party? And could this be the moment to repeal the Second Amendment, and add in an Amendment limiting the powers and rights of the President in office, for example making it explicit that a President cannot use the office for financial gain?

Maybe the Republicans should be careful what they wish for?

Article begins here, in full in link-

It’s been more than 230 years since America’s last constitutional convention, but there is growing confidence in some conservative circles that the next one is right around the corner – and could spell disaster for entitlement programs like medicare and social security, as well court decisions like Roe v Wade.

“I think we’re three or four years away,” said the former Oklahoma Senator Tom Coburn on Friday, speaking at the annual convention for American Legislative Exchange Council (Alec) – a powerful rightwing organization that links corporate lobbyists with state lawmakers from across the country.
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...onvention-alec

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Senior Member Silver Poster

Default Re: A Constitutional Convention?

In one way, Der USA is a story, and we don't know how it's going to end, you just have to keep turning the pages.
    The USA is also an Eternal Truth, like the Flag that survives bombs bursting, and rockets glaring.
    The Constitution has an app for what's going on, it's called impeachment and incarceration. The Constitution remains whether we are asleep or awake, and I'm not so worried about Republican House Clowns, I'm wondering where Trump's base is going to go after Trump and his kids are in jail. Reagan, Bush, Bush Jr, Trump...… what kind of act follows that line-up?

Before we have a new Constitutional Convention, we would need a new American Revolution, and that would interrupt American's newest loves- Air Conditioning, fast food, anti-biotics, TV Soap Operas, the Beach.
    We can't even get 50% of the people to vote, the curse of freedom.
    We got enemies both foreign and domestic, and we always will.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    World Class Asshole

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Default Re: A Constitutional Convention?

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    The question is, if there were to be a Constitutional Convention, would it not be obliged to consider amendments from all Americans rather than just a few nutcases from the Republican Party?
    I see the nutcases are still at it -will they get the States they need?

Trump-tied conservatives are 15 states away from an unprecedented rewrite of the Constitution (yahoo.com)