Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Platinum Poster

Default Re: The Boris Johnson Show: Not a Comedy

Hmmm, Boris, where is your left hand? Is that why she's smiling?

The Telegraph has temporarily lifted its paywall in defence of a 'free press' because of Extinction Rebellion's siege of printing works, though I suspect most people access the paper oniine and read articles that are not in the print edition.

Whatever. The link below documents the relationships that Johnson has cultivated in the White House, not so much with the President but the Under-President Kushner and his wife, and in particular Stephen Miller. But it is a sad comment that to get the President to listen you must first spend ten or twenty minutes telling him what a great guy he is and how well he is doing as President, rather like meeting the leader of a Banana Republican and showering him with praise before suggesting his foreign policy is rubbish.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...s-easier-said/

Senior Member Silver Poster MrFanti's Avatar

I tend to tread lightly when it comes to discussing the politics of countries that I'm not a citizen of.

"I am, a SIGMA Male...

Quote Originally Posted by MrFanti View Post
    I tend to tread lightly when it comes to discussing the politics of countries that I'm not a citizen of.

Why tread lightly when this was the country that gave you Jamestown; gave you the Slave Trade- which I assume traded your ancestors for £20 a head, sometimes £3-; that is at the root of the claim that Americans don't approve of taxes or Kings, but whose President was desperate, and I mean desperate to be seen to have a banquet with the Queen, and is seeking a trade deal with the UK that gives the US 100% access to UK markets in return for what, 5% of the US?

Why tread lightly when the Prime Minister was born in Manhattan, and shares with the President from Queens a self-obsession that sneers and jeers at lesser mortals, makes flagrantly ridiculous campaign promises, yet in office is revealed to be a liar and a fraud, a pompous creator of bogus tales, a fanatical devotee to a flimsy idea called Brexit that threatens to unravel the Union -ours, not yours- ,while the public heath crisis that has engulfed the UK is being handled with the same level of incompetence at the political level as your Government, with the frightening possibility that the man in charge of Covid policy in the US, Under-President Kushner, is conferring with his father-in-law's equivalent, bloated foozler were it not for the fact that Boris Johnson is too lazy to play golf, but seems to give himself the same sporting chances as the President when it comes to playing pussy.

I get it, that the UK doesn't mean much to you, but look around and ask how it is that we see political leaders across the world who in reality don't lead, who talk a lot but don't walk it, who jeer at everyone they think is beneath them, while above them the people turn away in disgust, and while this same class of criminals who blame their predecessors for economic and financial failure are helping themselves to the Nation's cash as if it belonged to them, or rather, as if they were Medieval Kings acting on their entitlement.

You might think you are alone, but the US is mired in the same swamp of corruption and lies as Russia, Hungary, the UK et al -but with the better option for getting out of it. By the end of this year you might be on the road to restoring your self-respect, the Constitution and the Rule of Law. With the cavalier attitude to the rule of law and International Treaties being shown by our Prime Minister, the UK is being kicked down the road to ruin.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...g-in-the-wings

And no, we don't want you to come to our rescue this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    Why tread lightly
    Because IMHO, when one doesn't reside and or is not a citizen within "said" country, that individual misses out an numerous innuendos to the bigger picture.

Do I have opinions and perspectives?
    Yes indeed!!

-But I don't around blaring them out like I had a megaphone in hand....

"I am, a SIGMA Male...

I have stated before that there are a lot of those nuances in American politics that I don't get, and there are a lot of people in politics and the media well known to you I have never heard of. There is nothing to stop you from commenting on British, European and World affairs, and I would welcome it. All I can say is that you might not be aware of how constant reporting on the US is in the UK, not just because of the election, from high politics to social and cultural affairs, probably more than what you get of the UK over there.

I have stated before that there are a lot of those nuances in American politics that I don't get, and there are a lot of people in politics and the media well known to you I have never heard of. There is nothing to stop you from commenting on British, European and World affairs, and I would welcome it. All I can say is that you might not be aware of how constant reporting on the US is in the UK, not just because of the election, from high politics to social and cultural affairs, probably more than what you get of the UK over there.
    I generally agree with you in that the world receives more on the US than the US does on the rest of world - which only serves to strengthen my resolve on treading lightly on other countries politics.
    I will however make an exception - for example I spent 3 months living in a small Italian town. I saw a whole lot more in those 3 months living in Italy than in a single year from a US reporting perspective on Italy.

"I am, a SIGMA Male...

filghy2 Silver Poster

Quote Originally Posted by MrFanti View Post
    Because IMHO, when one doesn't reside and or is not a citizen within "said" country, that individual misses out an numerous innuendos to the bigger picture.
    It seems we have a master of malapropism in our midst.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Quote Originally Posted by filghy2 View Post
    It seems we have a master of malapropism in our midst.

filghy2 -any thought on Tony Abbott being appointed 'Trade Adviser' to the UK Government? I don't know a lot about him other than he was dumped by his own party when Prime Minister, and has been appointed either because there is no-one in the UK who can do his job, or Johnson can't find anyone in the UK with sufficient Brexit zeal to be trusted. That Abbott has been offered a job by a bare-faced liar who told us in December he had an 'Over Ready' deal with the EU which turns out to be half-baked, suggests Abbot is either a fool who has been conned, or is desperate for a job, even one that comes without a salary though I assume the tax-payer will pay for his travel and accommodation expenses. Or maybe he just wants to live outside Australia for a while?

filghy2 Silver Poster

filghy2 -any thought on Tony Abbott being appointed 'Trade Adviser' to the UK Government?
    I know that he was never trade minister and does not appear to have any expertise in that field (he was health minister in the previous conservative government before he became PM). A senior ministerial colleague also once said that Abbott knew nothing about economics, though I guess lack of expertise would be a plus rather than a minus for Boris and the Brexiteers.

Abbott was actually born in the UK and studied at Oxford as a Rhodes scholar. I believe he has strong political connections in the UK, which I suppose is why he got the job (in addition to being a Brexit fan). I would guess that he has found his relevance in Australia to be declining, so perhaps he concluded that the current government was unlikely to offer him a good job. Since he left politics his views seem to have become increasingly hard-right - eg describing the climate change movement as a cult (even though he claimed to accept the science when he was PM) and also praising what Viktor Orban has been doing in Hungary.