Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Veteran Poster

Default Anyone watching new Transgender TV series POSE ?

http://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/pose

Has anyone been watching new Transgender TV series on FX channel called "POSE"

i'm hearing no TV series has as many transgender performers cast, and these supposedly real TS girls.
    i'm not sure if some have heard of it or seen it advertised , if so what do you think of it ?

2 out of 2 members liked this post.
    Last edited by pantybulge69; 06-06-2018 at 04:46 AM.

Default Re: Anyone watching new Transgender TV series POSE ?

Will check it out. Thanks for sharing

Good so far. It shows some of the history of the Ballroom culture. If you like that , you may also choose to follow this show: https://www.viceland.com/en_us/show/my-house
    It shows what's going on in the present.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Senior Member Junior Poster

I watched it the other night...pretty good...yeah its that ballroom bitch stuff but still pretty good...the ts character with the cross eyes kinda makes me laugh..

Senior Member Veteran Poster

The show is a hit!
    (I'm just apprehensive because I know the chasers will watch the show because they want to see a trans woman as a piece of meat, not as a human being.)

I'm watching. Very solid show. And very, very VERY important. I was reading the piece Janet Mock did about the show (she is one of the producers (along Murphy and Steven Canals), and she directed an episode!

Her words:

"[...] he assembled a team of culturally specific collaborators from the ball community, including Dominique Jackson who plays one of “Pose’s” leading ladies, as well as Leiomy Maldonado and Danielle Polanco, who serve as choreographers, and our braintrust of consultants, Freddie Pendavis, Hector Xtravaganza, Jack Mizrahi, Michael Roberson, Skylar King, Sol Williams and Twiggy Pucci Garçon.

Murphy’s source material for “Pose” originated from a script written by Steven Canals, a queer Afro-Latinx from the Bronx who earned his MFA in screenwriting from UCLA. Canals’ writing, which came across Murphy’s desk in 2016, centered on Damon, an aspiring dancer who finds himself homeless in New York City after being kicked out of his home for being gay. He is given refuge by Blanca, a trans woman who’s a mother in the ball scene.

The notion of a trans woman saving a young boy’s life moved me. It was a radical departure from what I had seen on screens. I grew up the middle of five kids raised by a working single mother. The television served as a babysitter, of sorts. I devoured shows as a young viewer, from re-runs of classics like “I Love Lucy” and “Designing Women” and soaps like “General Hospital” and “90210” to ’90s sitcoms like “Living Single” and “Family Matters.” I was thoroughly entertained by these shows, but as a black and Native Hawaiian trans girl, I never felt fully reflected.

When girls like us flitted onto my screen, we were seen through the narrowest lens — either as points of trauma, treated as freaks, or mere punchlines. Rarely were we given a chance to be the center of the story, to be the protagonists, the antagonists and the damn villains. And I knew with “Pose,” I would hold the pen, writing narratives that would show the totality of what it meant to be brown and black, to be trans and poor and femme in an era in New York City dictated by a series of ills, from HIV and gentrification to crack and greed.

"I joined the writer’s room of “Pose” in August, and my hiring was historic. I am the first trans woman of color to be hired as a writer on a television series (previous staffings include white trans women writers, including Our Lady J for “Transparent,” Imogen Binnie for CBS’s “Doubt,” and Lana and Lilly Wachowski for “Sense 8”). Murphy then promoted me to producer within weeks of my hiring, and pushed me, despite my own trepidation, to direct episode six of our first season.

Though the series lives under Murphy’s production banner, he has taken a back seat with “Pose,” using the series as an opportunity to champion the communities our show represents. Not only is he donating all of his profits from “Pose” to organizations that directly serve trans and gender-nonconforming people (including the Audre Lorde Project, Fierce, House Lives Matter, and the Sylvia Rivera Law Project), he’s empowered Canals and me, giving us unprecedented control of the narrative and direction of the show, urging us to cast nearly every part to ensure the show truly represents the characters onscreen. We’ve casted and employed more than 100 trans people. This is extraordinary especially when trans people are an overwhelmingly underemployed demographic and have watched with gritted teeth as non-trans actors have embodied our realities onscreen.

“Pose” has also made history for hiring five trans actresses – all of color – as series regulars. But our leading ladies cannot be defined solely by their trans-ness. They are, like all of us, whole beings. Their trans-ness may not the sole focus of our story, but it’s also not sidelined. They grapple with their gender, just as they grapple with their bodies, their loves, their families and their dreams. Their narratives are not limited by their transitions and rarely do we meditate on their origin stories. Instead we center on what it is like living, struggling and striving in a world not built for them to thrive.

Our characters are the center of their own stories rather than plot devices, serving as martyrs who teach non-trans protagonists a lesson about authenticity and self-assuredness. No, in the world I am writing, these women are the heroines I have always been waiting for. They are tethered to one another. They support and challenge one another. They love on and dance and laugh and yes, shade one another. This is what sisterhood, family and resilience looks like, especially in an era where black and Latina trans women are being hunted down for merely existing.

the full piece https://variety.com/2018/tv/columns/...mn-1202803368/

2 out of 2 members liked this post.
    Last edited by josehip; 06-06-2018 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alcoolsrimbood View Post
    I watched it the other night...pretty good...yeah its that ballroom bitch stuff but still pretty good...the ts character with the cross eyes kinda makes me laugh..
    why she makes you laugh?

oh yeah, plus, the photography and the dialogue are pretty pretty pretty good.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bscap0001.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	112.1 KB 
ID:	1078705Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bscap0004.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	109.8 KB 
ID:	1078706

Quote Originally Posted by alcoolsrimbood View Post
    that's funny, RIGHT?
    The woman is humiliated, beaten and kicked out the house from home by her parents, then contracts HIV, then find a gay young man in the streets who went through the same situation. And then she welcomes him, gives him a home, hopes, strives for him to run after his dreams. He gets a scholarship at a famous dance school because she supported him. And then she does all that monologue saying: I AM HIS MOTHER.

but you have specifically chosen to focus on her appearance? OKAY.

Senior Member Junior Poster

Indya Moore, Dominique Jackson, Dominique Jackson (Abundance Mother), Hailie Sahar, and of course Angelica Ross are all trans.

Senior Member Silver Poster MrFanti's Avatar

Tks for posting...I'll check it out~

"I am, a SIGMA Male...