Thread: Istanbul Turkey

Senior Member Junior Poster

Default Istanbul Turkey

Just wondering if anyone has been there lately and can comment on the TS scene. I already have a trip planned for other reasons. Ive searched for and read the previous threads from a few years ago. From what Ive gathered, Sahra Club and Club 17 are two of the more popular clubs. But Ive also seen mention of safety issues. If I cant trust anyone I meet there maybe Im better off not going. I will keep my valuables in an internal pocket, or in the hotel safe as the case may be. With the Lira weak now may be an opportune time.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Senior Member Veteran Poster

Default Re: Istanbul Turkey

Well isn't Turkey an Islamic country?? If so isn't that enough said? or I could be wrong

It actually has a large TS community with a nightclub scene. Check google. The bigger issue isnt availability but the probably of getting ripped off. The nuggets Ive found in various places including this site really dont have any feedback from people who’ve gone over there and had success. Im not expecting much honestly. But I might as well ask.

you should watch the 1978 flick MIDNIGHT EXPRESS
    Unless you have close family there, why exactly would you contemplate traveling to Turkey?

Quote Originally Posted by flabbybody View Post
    you should watch the 1978 flick MIDNIGHT EXPRESS
    Unless you have close family there, why exactly would you contemplate traveling to Turkey?
    I am a world traveler. Turkey has a fascinating culture and history. There are risks, but nothing unusually dangerous if you do your research. I havent seen the movie, but after reading the summary, it appears that the dumbass was trying to smuggle drugs out of the country. While I don’t defend the monolithic and inhumane drug laws in most of the world, Rule No 1 when travelling through Asia (and prob most of the world) is don’t mess with drugs. Rule 2 is watch your ass when crossing an international border, including returning to the USA. The guy in the movie was young and this was before the internet. But there is no excuse for making that big of a mistake now.

Last edited by wiltthestilt; 05-24-2018 at 05:24 AM.

Silver Poster

Quote Originally Posted by flabbybody View Post
    you should watch the 1978 flick MIDNIGHT EXPRESS Unless you have close family there, why exactly would you contemplate traveling to Turkey?
    there are very few countries with an equally amazing nightlife as ankara turkey. and basing turkey on the events of midnight express is probably the most inaccurate representation of the country you can do; especially considering billy hayes felt so guilty he went back to apologize for how the country was depicted- as did oliver stone. in the real story, everyone he met was rather nice- except hamidou- and after he leaves, he pretty much has as normal a life as you can have on an island prison similar to alcatraz

http://www.tc-america.org/issues-inf...-turks-124.htm

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...16/turkey.film

Quote Originally Posted by bluesoul View Post
    there are very few countries with an equally amazing nightlife as ankara turkey. and basing turkey on the events of midnight express is probably the most inaccurate representation of the country you can do; especially considering billy hayes felt so guilty he went back to apologize for how the country was depicted- as did oliver stone. in the real story, everyone he met was rather nice- except hamidou- and after he leaves, he pretty much has as normal a life as you can have on an island prison similar to alcatraz

http://www.tc-america.org/issues-inf...-turks-124.htm

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...16/turkey.film

They still occupy part of Cyprus, they imprison political opposition, refuse to acknowledge their atrocities against the Armenians during the genocide, they’ve closed down Christian schools and limit the activities of the ecumenical patriarch, they provoke hostilities with neighboring Greece with multiple daily incursions into their airspace and waters, they attack the Kurds indiscriminately, the list is exhausting. Turkey deserves their reputation imo.