Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    @-}--- Professional Poster

Default Re: Trans News Worldwide

April 10, 2018
    Transgenders to be Recognised as Independent Gender Category in PAN Form - INDIA
    The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT), which frames policy for the department, issued a notification on Monday that provides a new tick box for the transgenders to apply for the PAN.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Transgenders-875.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	1069868
    In this November 26, 2017, people sing and dance as they take part in the 10th Namma Pride March, an event promoting gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender rights, in Bengaluru. (File Photo: Reuters)
    New Delhi: The government has amended Income Tax rules that will now allow transgenders to be recognised as an independent category of applicants for obtaining a Permanent Account Number (PAN) for their tax-related transactions.

The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT), which frames policy for the department, issued a notification on Monday that provides a new tick box for the transgenders to apply for the PAN.

The notification, issued under sections 139A and 295 of the Income Tax Act, specifies the new application process for obtaining a PAN number by an individual.

Till now, only male and female gender categories were available to be chosen on the PAN application form.

A senior official said the notification amending the tax rules was brought out in view of some representations received by the CBDT in this context.

"Individuals from the transgender community were facing hassles in obtaining a PAN card and this problem was further magnified as Aadhaar had the third gender category but not PAN. "Hence, the transgenders were not able to link their PAN with their Aadhaar due to this anomaly," the official said.

The amendment will now be reflected in Form 49A (PAN application form for Indian citizens) and 49AA (PAN application form for individuals not a citizen of India), the official added.

PAN is a 10-digit unique alphanumeric number alloted by the I-T department to individuals and entities.

The government has now made quoting of Aadhaar mandatory for filing income tax returns (ITRs) as well as obtaining a new PAN.

Section 139 AA (2) of the Income Tax Act says that every person having PAN as on July 1, 2017, and eligible to obtain Aadhaar, must intimate his Aadhaar number to the tax authorities.

As per updated data till March 5, over 16.65 crore PANs, out of the total about 33 crore, have been linked with Aadhaar. The deadline to link these two has been extended recently till June 30 by the CBDT.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Interview with Janet Mock-

Janet Mock is talking so fast I can’t keep up. One moment we are in Hawaii and she is living, desperately uncomfortably, as a little boy called Charles. The next she is 10 years old and has created the alter ego Keisha to enable her to talk to boys on the phone. Then she is living happily as a transgender girl, a star pupiland captain of the school volleyball team. Now she is 16, doing sex work and stripping at a local club to earn enough money to pay for her operation – or bottom surgery, as she calls it. It is an astonishing story – and we have barely started. There is her move to New York at 21, a master’s in journalism, two bestselling memoirs, a groundbreaking drama she co-scripted and two marriages – and, along the way, she has become the world’s most prominent trans activist. Phew!

Read more here-
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/...oking-for-that

Senior Member Silver Poster MrFanti's Avatar

Much appreciated!

2 out of 2 members liked this post.
    "I am, a SIGMA Male...

April 17, 2018
    Classes Begin in Pakistan's First School for Transgenders in Lahore
    The Gender Guardian school which offers a full 12 years of academic education from the primary level to matriculation and then leading up to college, has been opened by NGO Exploring Future Foundation (EFF) in the Defence Housing Authority area of the city.

Name:	delhi-school-kids.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	1069967
    Lahore: Pakistan's first of its kind school for transgenders opened on Tuesday to provide education and vocational skills to people from the community.

The Gender Guardian school has been opened by NGO Exploring Future Foundation (EFF) in the Defence Housing Authority area of the city.

The NGO said Lahore — Pakistan's second-most populous city — has a population of about 30,000 transgender persons.

Classes on Tuesday commenced in the school, which offers a full 12 years of academic education from the primary level to matriculation and then leading up to college, its officials said.

The school also has training-based courses in eight fields, including cooking, fashion designing and cosmetics, on offer.

"This school has been set up to educate the neglected and oppressed section of the society. It is unfortunate that transgenders are forced to live in isolation since their childhood," says EFF's Asif Shahzad, the owner of the school.

He said there is no age limit for people to enroll as students in the school, which has 15 faculty members including three transgenders.

"So far 40 transgender persons have been enrolled in the school. This is the only such school in any Islamic country in the world," he claimed.

Shahzad lamented that parents hide the gender of their child and do not like to talk about the matter fearing society's reaction.

"Such a child when grows up starts earning a living through singing and dancing. When they grow old, transgender persons beg in street," he said.

"We are also trying to convince them (transgender people) to lead better lives and also try to tell the rest of society that they are also human beings and that they should be treated as humans," he added.

Mooeza Tariq, managing director of the NGO, said after the completion of training, transgender people will also be provided funds and services for setting up of their own businesses.

"Most of the enrolled students have shown interest in fashion industry, including learning about cosmetics, fashion designing, embroidery and stitching, while some have also shown interest in graphic designing and culinary skills," Tariq said.

January 10, 2018
    Gay Prince From Gujarat Throws Open Palace Doors To Vulnerable LGBT People
    Prince Manvendra Singh Gohil, heir apparent to the throne of Rajpipla in Gujarat, said it was particularly hard to come out in small-town India, where traditional values hold sway and heterosexual relations are the norm.

Name:	gay prince.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	1069968
    HIGHLIGHTS
    Manvendra Singh Gohil is the only openly gay prince in India
    Prince Gohil is the heir apparent to the throne of Rajpipla in Gujarat
    He is building a centre for the LGBT community on his palace grounds

MUMBAI: The only openly gay prince in India is throwing open his palace doors to lesbians, gays, transgender and other Indians shunned for their sexuality.

Prince Manvendra Singh Gohil, heir apparent to the throne of Rajpipla in Gujarat, said it was particularly hard to come out in small-town India, where traditional values hold sway and heterosexual relations are the norm.

"People still face a lot of pressure from their families when they come out, being forced to marry, or thrown out of their homes. They often have nowhere to go, no means to support themselves," he told the Thomson Reuters Foundation.

So the prince, 52, is building a centre for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people (LGBT) on the grounds of his ancestral palace.

"I am not going to have children, so I thought, why not use this space for a good purpose?" Gohil said, adding that he will offer rooms, a medical facility and training in English and vocational skills to help people find jobs.

Gohil came out to his family more than a decade ago, prompting his mother to take out a newspaper advertisement disowning him.

After coming out, Gohil set up the Lakshya Trust, a charity for LGBT people in his conservative home state, and became a champion for gay rights. He has made numerous international appearances, including on The Oprah Winfrey Show.

He is a vocal critic of the colonial-era law that criminalises consensual sexual relations between same sex adults. Earlier this week, the Supreme Court said it would reconsider its 2013 decision to uphold the law.

"Lifting the law will encourage more people to come out and live their lives freely. But it may also mean more people in need of support," Gohil said.

Gohil said he is renovating and extending his palace, built in 1927, on the 15-acre site, installing solar panels for power, and reserving some land for organic farming.

An online crowdfunding campaign and donations are financing the centre, which will be managed by his charity, he said.

Gohil's high profile has helped the LGBT community in India enormously, said Harish Iyer, a gay rights activist who hosts a radio show dedicated to LGBT issues.

"For him to be one of us, the stakes are even higher, so providing this space is a great gesture," he said.

"We are lucky to have many LGBT-friendly spaces in cities like Mumbai and Delhi. But in smaller towns, there are not so many places, and that is where they are most needed."
    © Thomson Reuters 2018

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

7 February 2018
    The transgender-only home giving people a 'safe place'
    Lexi and Phoenix are living in a home set up exclusively for transgender residents.

Name:	99902181_img_0381.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	1069980
    The 21-year-olds say living there has given them the confidence to be themselves.

Phoenix told Newsbeat: "People at the safe house can relate to how I'm feeling and we can all talk to each other and support each other."

We went to visit them at the flat in the north east of England, which has been set up by the charity Trans Aware.

It says its the first of its kind in the UK.

Name:	99912262_img_0114.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	1069981
    Phoenix (left) and Lexi say they're more confident now they live in the safe house

The flat is just like your typical student house.

There are ready meals in the fridge, everyone crowds into the living room each night to watch TV and, on the day we visit, they've run out of milk - so we're on herbal tea and black coffee.

What makes it unique though is that everyone living there can relate to feeling like they've been born in the wrong body.

Lexi had been living on her own for 10 months and was feeling isolated before moving into the home because she was in an area where people didn't know her.

She said: "That was quite a setback for me because I didn't get to be the person I am. If I was going out I'd call a taxi so I wouldn't draw attention to myself when I was leaving the house.

"I'm still quite early in my transition so people do notice and that's when you can get the verbal abuse.

"Now I'm in the house, I feel so much more confident because I know that when I go out I've got a friend who is the same as me - who can walk down the street with me."

That friend is 21-year-old Phoenix.

She was one of the first residents to move into the home in November and says it's given her the confidence to be herself.

She's even thinking about applying for a place at university to study performing arts.

"I struggled a lot when I was younger with how I looked and I didn't quite understand why. It feels like you're not the person you feel you are inside.

"My family accept me for me but they don't really understand it, whereas people at this safe house can relate to how I'm feeling and we can all talk to each other and support each other."

Name:	999021.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	1069984
    Living in the safe house has given Phoenix the confidence to think about going to uni

A survey by LGBT charity Stonewall released last month suggested that 44% of trans people avoid certain streets because they don't feel safe there.

While 25% said they were discriminated against when looking for a house or flat to rent or buy.

Trans Aware worked with The Students Living Company to set up the house. The residents pay rent which includes bills and wi-fi.

The charity would like to see it replicated by other organisations around the UK.

Ellie Lowther, from the charity, said: "Young trans people might not always have support from their families, they could be sofa surfing or living somewhere where they're always having to justify who they are.

"They need a solid base if they're going to reach their potential in life."

March 17, 2018
    Transgender pageant crowns Miss Vietnam as the new Miss International Queen

Name:	miss-international-queen-thailand-678x381.jpeg 
Views:	84 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	1069991
    Miss International Queen 2018 winners. From L-R, 2nd runner up Rinrada Thurapan from Thailand, Crown keeper Nguyen Huong Giang from Vietnam, 1st runner up Jacqueline from Australia. Photo from nationmultimedia.com

Vietnam’s Nguyen Huong Giang won the coveted title in the contest that is considered to be one of the world’s most prestigious beauty pageants for transgender women.
    Miss Vietnam was crowned in the picturesque resort city of Pattaya, Thailand, the venue of the contest since 2004.
    Wong of Asia Pacific Transgender Network that beauty contests such as Miss International Queen provided a powerful medium to showcase the challenges, talents and hopes of the transgender community.
    Besting 26 other remarkable candidates, Miss Vietnam brought home the bacon when she won the Miss International Queen title in Thailand on March 9.

Nguyen Huong Giang won the coveted title in the contest that is considered to be one of the world’s most prestigious beauty pageants for transgender women according to the latest transgender news by the Agence France-Presse and published by the Jakarta Post on March 10.

Camaraderie, diversity
    Miss Vietnam triumphed over candidates representing countries from Mongolia to Mexico. She was crowned in the picturesque resort city of Pattaya, Thailand, the venue of the contest since 2004.

Before the coronation, the candidates were busy preparing for the competition. Huddled in a packed dressing room, they put on their makeup and had their hair done with as an army of stylists whirred around them.

Nitasha Biswas, who represented India, said, “This is my first international experience of coming to pageant where it is really a big exposure to all my trans sisters all over the world.”

Growing LGBT community
    The competition was considered fierce, but many took the opportunity for camaraderie among transgender contestants who, although coming from diverse background and culture, have commonly shared experience of discrimination back home.

This year’s winner, Vietnam, had a growing LGBT community. Recently, its communist government is pushing for a landmark legislation that would allow transgender individuals to legally change gender.

The host country, Thailand, has a thriving, visible LGBT community and is hailed for its being open-minded on issues that many LGBT members face.

It has also become a destination for many transgender people who are facing intolerance in their own country, including Myanmar.

“Myanmar is a developing country so there is still only a small amount of transgender people,” Juana Paing, this year’s Miss Myanmar. “I want to try my best for Myanmar to be more open for transgenders.”

Tolerance
    In addition, Thailand is considered one of the top places to undergo sex reassignment surgery. However, some parts of society remained to have deeply-held conservative beliefs.

Many of its transgender citizens, despite having attained a high level of education, still couldn’t find stable full-time employment opportunities outside of the entertainment and sex industries. Up until 2012, transgender people were considered to have a medical illness.

The Thailand government has also not legalized and does not recognize same-sex marriage.

But the beauty pageant was welcomed by LGBT advocates including Joe Wong of the advocacy group Asia Pacific Transgender Network.

Wong said that beauty contests such as Miss International Queen provided a powerful medium to showcase the challenges, talents and hopes of the transgender community.

“I’ve learnt from others that contests like these create sisterhood and bonds,” he said.

04/17/2018 01:30 PM EDT

Coast Guard won’t ban transgender members unless compelled

Name:	coast1.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	266.9 KB 
ID:	1070168Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coast1.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	266.9 KB 
ID:	1070168

Commandant Adm. Paul Zukunft said the Coast Guard is committed to transgender troops‘ continued service. | AP Photo

The Coast Guard remains committed to allowing transgender members to continue to serve until there is an explicit policy barring them, Commandant Adm. Paul Zukunft told lawmakers today.

Zukunft said during a House Appropriations Homeland Security Subcommittee hearing today that senior officials from all five of the armed services continue to discuss how to move forward given President Donald Trump's efforts to implement a ban on transgender people serving in the military. But that the issue has not yet been "reconciled" among all branches, he said.

At least 17 of the 40,000 active-duty Coast Guard members would be considered transgender or to have "transitioned," per Zukunft, who said he counted one transgender person among his personal staff.

"We are certainly committed to their continued service in the United States Coast Guard," he said. "We will make sure that there is a one policy for all service members."

Zukunft made the comments in response to a line of questions from Rep. David Price (D-N.C.) about the Coast Guard's position on the matter.

"Seems to me this is an invented problem and a waste of time and dollars and military resources by targeting these dedicated service members who've proved their fitness and their ability to serve," Price said.

April 18, 2018

Wednesday is National Transgender HIV Testing Day: What you need to know
    Testing events being held across the state on Wednesday, April 18

Name:	transhivtestinggraphic1.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	1070266

Today is National Transgender HIV Testing Day, which occurs annual each April 18. It’s a special day to raise awareness and provide resources for important issues surrounding the trans community and HIV.

Trans people are among some of the most at-risk groups for new HIV diagnoses, along young people, gay, bi and other men who have sex with men, as well as people of color generally. What’s more, trans people often face increased stigma and discrimination when attempting to access HIV testing or other preventative treatment or healthcare — creating situations where trans people are less likely to be tested or receive prompt care if they are HIV-positive.

Groups across North Carolina today are holding testing and other awareness events to highlight the important issues facing the trans community and HIV healthcare.

First, some quick facts…
    According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention:

From 2009 to 2014, 2,351 transgender people were diagnosed with HIV in the United States. Eighty-four percent (1,974) were transgender women, 15 percent (361) were transgender men, and less than 1% (16) had another gender identity.
    Around half of transgender people (43% of transgender women; 54% of transgender men) who received an HIV diagnosis from 2009 to 2014 lived in the South.
    A 2013 report found that the estimated percentage of transgender women living with HIV in the United States was 22% among 2,705 transgender women sampled.
    Among the 3.3 million HIV testing events reported to CDC in 2013, the percentage of transgender people who received a new HIV diagnosis was more than 3 times the national average.

Where to get tested today…
    Free HIV testing events will be held on April 18 at sites across North Carolina, including:

Alliance of AIDS Services – Carolinas in Raleigh from 9 AM – 4 PM (1637 Old Louisburg Rd, Raleigh NC 27604)
    Carolinas CARE Partnership in Charlotte from 10 AM – 1 PM (5855 Executive Center Drive, Suite 101, Charlotte, NC 28212)
    El Centro Hispano in Durham from 4 PM – 8 PM (2000 Chapel Hill Rd #26A, Durham, NC 27707)
    North Star LGBT Center in Winston-Salem from 5 PM – 7 PM (930 Burke Street, Winston-Salem, NC 27101)
    Triad Health Project in Greensboro from 1 PM – 5 PM (801 Summit Ave, Greensboro, NC 27405)

11:58, 19 APR 2018

Scotland's only Miss Transgender UK entrant hopes to get £10,000 life-changing surgery
    Perth's Aria Welsh is Scotland's only entrant in the 30-strong field and says she will donate a large chunk of cash to charity if she wins.

Name:	SWNS_ARIA_WELSH_01.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	1070344
    Aria Welsh would receive breast enhancement, facial feminisation, Adam's apple shaving and reassignment surgery

Scotland's only Miss Transgender UK 2018 contestant has said she hopes to receive life-changing surgery worth a whopping £10,000.

Aria Welsh will compete against 30 other women from across the UK to claim the national title and a trip to Thailand for the gender reassignment surgery.

The kind-hearted 26-year-old has been saving up for the surgery but says if she wins, she will donate those savings to charity .

The procedure would include breast enhancement, facial feminisation, Adam's apple shaving and reassignment surgery.

Aria Welsh hopes she can bring the title home for Scotland

Name:	RW_PAF_030418AriaWelsh_01JPG.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	1070345

The winner of the competition, if medically fit and chosen by the hospital, will also get a modelling contract with the world-renowned Kamol hospital as well as flights and accommodation.

Aria, from Perth , Perthshire, says she is delighted to be the only Scottish contestant in the competition and hopes to bring the crown home for Scotland.

Aria, who was born as a boy called Thomas, came out as transgender three years ago but says she has felt "different" since she was seven.

She said: "I've always been feminine and used to pretend a towel wrapped around my head was long flowing locks."

"I first came out to a transgender friend who helped me lots and was my rock. I then came out to my mum and my ex-fiance."

Aria Welsh was called Thomas when she was younger and was born a boy

Name:	SWNS_ARIA_WELSH_26.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	1070346
    Aria said the breakdown of her relationship was the hardest part of coming out.

She said: "In hindsight it needed to happen so doors could open up for me.

"The most uplifting thing for me is to be free, to be who I was supposed to be. To live my life by my own rules and not societies."

Miss Transgender UK entrants have to raise money for a chosen charity before going to the final in Cardiff, Wales, in November.

Aria has decided to raise money for Stillbirth and Neonatal Death (SANDS) a charity that has been close to her heart since her family suffered a huge loss in 2003.

She said: "SANDS helped my family when we lost my brother who was a stillborn baby 15 years ago.

"I was only 11-years-old at the time but I was definitely old enough to feel the pain.

"The reason I'm getting involved in this is that I can raise money for my charity of choice. It isn't just your run of the mill beauty pageant.

Name:	SWNS_ARIA_WELSH_07.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	1070347
    Aria Welsh will donate money she was saving for reassignment surgery to the Stillbirth and Neonatal Death charity if she wins (Image: Duncan McGlynn)

"The charity were always there to give us advice and they are amazing.

"I just can't wait to present the charity a huge cheque."

If Aria is successful in her fundraising efforts she will be invited to the final along with five other lucky contestants.

The aspiring pageant queen would get the chance to perform in categories such as Best Evening Gown, Best Talent and Best Creation.

And if she wins generous Aria hopes to treat her supportive family and friends to a big dinner to celebrate.

She said: "My family and friends have been the biggest support since I came out as transgender when I was 23."

"The reaction from other people were a mix. There was a pocket of people that didn't understand. I do try and take the time to explain.

"For the most part it has been amazing and I'm one hundred per cent happier.

"As soon as I started the hormone therapy a sense of calm came over me and it was as if my life was leading up to that moment.

Name:	SWNS_ARIA_WELSH_22.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	1070348
    Aria came out as transgender three years ago (Image: Aria Welsh / SWNS)
    "Ever since I transitioned all these doors keep opening for me solidifying that I've made the right decision."
    Proud mum, Rachel Scott, 48, said: "I loved Thomas but sometimes I struggled to like him when he was a teenager.

"Aria on the other hand is a far more responsible and settled person who I am proud to call my daughter."

Last year's winner, Bea Wood, said winning the competition was life-changing.

The 29-year-old, who was born as a boy called Ben, in Scunthorpe, Lincolnshire, was previously banned from the Miss Inspiration beauty pageant for not being a natural-born female.

She said: "I had never met another transgender before and had no support groups or help locally so did it all on my own.

"Through coming out I lost a lot of family, friends, and even my job."

She added: "The best thing about this competition is that it doesn't matter what stage of transition you are at.
    "Miss Transgender UK was set up to empower transgender women who are often excluded by regular pageants because they only allow genetically born females.

"It's not about being judged on the way you look. It gives the girls a chance to show themselves to the world with who they are and why they are amazing."

Aria has set a target of £1000 but hopes to raise more.

Last edited by smalltownguy; 04-19-2018 at 05:05 PM.