Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51011121314151617181920 LastLast
    @-}--- Professional Poster

Default Re: Trans News Worldwide

Jan 4, 2019

Appeals court sides with Trump in transgender military case

A federal appeals court is siding with the Trump administration in a case about the Pentagon’s policy of restricting military service by transgender people.

A three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit ruled this morning that a lower-court judge was wrong to block the Pentagon from implementing its preferred policy. The unsigned ruling will not allow the Pentagon to put in place its desired policy, however, because three other judges have entered orders blocking the administration in similar cases.

Military policy until a few years ago had barred service by transgender people. That changed under President Barack Obama, but President Donald Trump said he would reverse course, leading to lawsuits by transgender people.

The administration already has asked the Supreme Court to weigh in on the issue. The high court has not said whether it will.

21, Jan 2019

Indian transgender activist told to change stated gender for Malaysian visa application

PETALING JAYA: In an ironic twist, an Indian transgender activist who is supposed to speak at a company event in Penang about pride and equality is having difficulty entering the country as the Malaysian eVisa application system does not have an option for a third gender.

Shane Anthony Mills, an IT analyst and a supporter of transgender rights in India, was reportedly chosen to speak on the subject of "pride" in Penang on Jan 28.

She was selected to speak at Dell's Employee Resource Group summit in Penang and was told to change her gender to "male" if she wishes to travel to Malaysia.

According to Dell's website, its employee resource groups (ERGs) connects team members around areas such as gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation and backgrounds.

According to the Times of India, Shane found out that Malaysia's online visa portal does not have an option for the third gender in its application.

This is contrary to the Indian e-visa portal that, since 2014, has added the third gender option for foreigners (including Malaysians).

When Shane approached the Malaysian Consulate in Chennai for help, she was told to change her stated gender and reapply.

"To my shock, they asked me to change my gender to 'male' in my passport and reapply!

"This is so embarrassing. I had to go through a lot – from my sex change operation to getting my paperwork in place after the 2014 Supreme Court verdict," she said.

In 2014, India's highest court recognised the existence of a third gender in a landmark judgement hailed by transgender people.

Shane added that the Indian consulate in Malaysia had "no clue" how to help her.

However, she has not given up hope and has since reached out to India's foreign affairs minister Sushma Swaraj for help.

"My company has got in touch with the Malaysian Consulate as well. Hopefully, things will work out," she said.

Last edited by smalltownguy; 01-21-2019 at 05:02 PM.

January 21, 2019

YouTuber raises over $330k for transgender charity playing Donkey Kong 64 on Twitch

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hbomberguy-twitch-580x334-320x184.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	11.4 KB 
ID:	1126053
    This past weekend saw hundreds of thousands of pounds raised for transgender charity Mermaids during a Donkey Kong 64 charity stream.

Hbomberguy, an internet personality known for gaming analysis and in-depth video essays began the stream with an aim of completing the game in its entirety with all collectibles, coins and other secrets discovered.

After an ungodly 55 hours, he accomplished this. The stream was accompanied by multiple guest appearances by popular writers, internet personalities and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, a new member of the US Congress.

It blew past all expectations for Hbomberguy, real name Harry Brewis, who only expected to raise a few thousand pounds to spite comedian Graham Lineham.

Lineham’s social media presence and postings on websites like Mumsnet previously caused The National Lottery to review a £500,000 grant to Mermaids, a charity which supports transgender/gender non-conforming children and their families.

“I chose to support [Mermaids] because as a person living in Britain, I find the media discussion around this issue to be woefully misinformed, and I’d like to do my bit to help support the people who do the hard work of contributing to people’s thinking on an issue.”

Graham Linehan, a comedy writer who did some work on a good show 20 years ago, a very normal man who is very angry about trans people all day nowadays, went on Mumsnet and told them to email the National Lottery en masse…

“Well done, Graham… now, tons of people know about Mermaids, and support them just to spite you!”

It’s been wonderful seeing the gaming community come together to raise money for such a good cause, especially when it laughs in the face of prejudice and looks toward positivity.

That, and Donkey Kong 64 is a nightmare to get through without nailing all the collectibles, so it’s a feat worth commending alongside a ludicrous amount of money raised. Bravo!

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

23, Jan 2019

Donald Trump's restrictions on transgender troops to take effect after US Supreme Court ruling

The Trump administration can go ahead with its plan to restrict military service by transgender men and women while court challenges continue, the US Supreme Court has ruled.

Key points:
    The ban on transgender military personnel was lifted under Barack Obama in 2016
    But Donald Trump moved to reverse that policy change the following year
    The administration's position is now the subject of multiple legal battles

The conservative-majority court split 5-4 to grant President Donald Trump's administration's request to lift injunctions issued by federal judges against the policy while a legal challenge continues in lower courts.

Transgender advocates reacted to the decision with outrage.

"The Trump administration's cruel obsession with ridding our military of dedicated and capable service members because they happen to be transgender defies reason and cannot survive legal review," said GLBTQ Legal Advocates and Defenders (GLAD) transgender rights project director Jennifer Levi.

The justices refused the administration's request for them to decide the merits of the legal fight even before a California-based federal appeals court already considering the matter is given a chance to rule.

Donald Trump's restrictions on transgender troops to take effect after US Supreme Court ruling
    Posted 21 hours ago, updated20 hours ago
    At a protest outside the White House, a man holds a sign that reads 'Gay vet supporting trans rights'.
    IMAGE Civil liberties and rights groups are challenging Donald Trump's ban on transgender people serving in the military.(Reuters: Jonathan Ernst)
    The Trump administration can go ahead with its plan to restrict military service by transgender men and women while court challenges continue, the US Supreme Court has ruled.

Key points:
    The ban on transgender military personnel was lifted under Barack Obama in 2016
    But Donald Trump moved to reverse that policy change the following year
    The administration's position is now the subject of multiple legal battles
    The conservative-majority court split 5-4 to grant President Donald Trump's administration's request to lift injunctions issued by federal judges against the policy while a legal challenge continues in lower courts.

Transgender advocates reacted to the decision with outrage.

"The Trump administration's cruel obsession with ridding our military of dedicated and capable service members because they happen to be transgender defies reason and cannot survive legal review," said GLBTQ Legal Advocates and Defenders (GLAD) transgender rights project director Jennifer Levi.

The justices refused the administration's request for them to decide the merits of the legal fight even before a California-based federal appeals court already considering the matter is given a chance to rule.

Obama opened door for transgender servicemen and women
    Until a few years ago service members could be discharged from the military for being transgender. That changed under former president Barack Obama.

The military announced in 2016 that transgender individuals already serving in the military would be allowed to serve openly. And the military set July 1, 2017 as the date when transgender individuals would be allowed to enlist.

Mr Trump tweeted in late July 2017 that the Government would not allow "Transgender individuals to serve in any capacity in the US Military".

He later directed the military to return to its policy that was in place before the Obama administration changes.

Lawsuits challenging the policy were filed in 2017 by civil liberties and rights groups on behalf of current transgender military service members, including some deployed overseas with decades of experience in the armed forces, and transgender people aspiring to join the military.

The Trump administration lost early rounds in those cases, with courts issuing nationwide injunctions barring the administration from altering course.

In March 2018, the Trump administration announced that after studying the issue it was revising its policy.

The new policy generally bars transgender individuals from serving unless they serve "in their biological sex" and do not seek to undergo a gender transition.

The policy has an exception for transgender troops who relied on the Obama-era rules to begin the process of changing their gender, allowing them to continue to serve.

The military said last year that more than 900 men and women have done so.

Last edited by smalltownguy; 01-23-2019 at 06:07 PM.

Feb. 11, 2019

Writer Sues Twitter Over Ban for Criticizing Transgender People (Lesson: Leftist agenda and political correctness overrule free speech rights)

Canadian blogger tweeted ‘Men aren’t women,’ violating harassment rules on the platform

A Canadian writer filed a lawsuit against Twitter Inc. on Monday, saying the social-media platform unfairly banned her because her criticism of transgender rights doesn’t line up with the company’s politics.

Meghan Murphy, a gender-politics blogger, alleges that Twitter violated unfair-competition law when it changed its hateful-conduct policy late last year. Under Twitter’s new policy, users can be banned for calling a transgender individual by their pre-transition names or referring to them with the wrong pronouns. The suit alleges that change conflicts with Twitter’s previous commitment to free speech.

The lawsuit, filed in state Superior Court in San Francisco, combines two hot-button issues: how Silicon Valley companies should moderate content on their sites, and what protections should be provided for transgender individuals.

In the offending tweets, Ms. Murphy wrote that transgender women are the same as men, as part of her argument that gender is determined at birth. Those views are viewed by some lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender activists as inciting hate speech against transgender people.

“Twitter claims its policies do not take into account political views,” said Noah Peters, Ms. Murphy’s lawyer. “They actually do practice viewpoint discrimination.”

Twitter said it believes Ms. Murphy’s claims are meritless, and it will defend itself against the suit.

Twitter has been criticized for the way it draws the line between free speech and harassment, as well as its ability to make these decisions consistently and fairly.

For years, Twitter executives shied away from moderation on their platform beyond extreme cases. Some early executives at the company called Twitter “the free speech wing of the free speech party,” brandishing their commitment to a marketplace of ideas where more speech could counter hate speech.

But in 2016, Twitter Chief Executive Jack Dorsey declared an “abuse emergency” following a number of high-profile cases of Twitter users leaving the platform because of harassment from other users.

Twitter’s push to clean up its platform appears to be achieving some of its goals. While these efforts sometimes result in shutting accounts, other users tend to spend more time on Twitter when they feel more welcome. Marketers also say they are in favor of the changes, because they don’t like advertising alongside negative content. On Thursday, Twitter reported record quarterly revenue.

In the case of Twitter’s policy update for transgender issues, the company banned the practice of intentionally referring to individuals by the wrong gender or referring to their previous names, saying it can be a form of harassment. The policy was designed to make Twitter a more inclusive space for transgender individuals.

Ms. Murphy says that Twitter locked her account on Nov. 15, telling her that to regain control of her account, she would need to remove two tweets she posted the prior month. One tweet stated: “How are transwomen not men? What is the difference between a man and a transwoman?” The other said: “Men aren’t women.”

Ms. Murphy deleted the tweets, and posted a response to Twitter, saying, “I’m not allowed to say that men aren’t women or ask questions about the notion of transgenderism at all anymore?” The post went viral, according to her suit, receiving 20,000 likes. Days later, Twitter informed Ms. Murphy that she needed to delete this tweet as well, the suit says.

Twitter then banned Ms. Murphy permanently. According to the suit, Twitter sent an email to Ms. Murphy on Nov. 23, informing her that an item she had posted previously on Nov. 8 violated the company’s hateful conduct policy because she referred to a transgender woman as “him,” according to the suit.

The suit says Ms. Murphy had tweeted “Yeeeah it’s him” to refer to an image of a Google review of a waxing salon posted by a Twitter account with a male name and a female name in parentheses. In the past year, the suit states, the person behind that account had filed complaints against aestheticians for refusing to perform Brazilian waxes due to that person’s male genitalia.

Feb. 9, 2019

Mom has a 'gender reveal' photo shoot after her child comes out as transgender
    When her 20-year-old child came out as a transgender man, this mom knew just how to announce it to family and friends.

Heather Lundberg Green was like any other proud mother when she posted pictures on Facebook filled with blue balloons as part of a gender reveal announcement for her son.

The only difference is that her son, Adrian Brown, is 20 years old.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	transgender-gender-reveal-today-main.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	1131346

Brown came out to his family as a transgender man in September, which led to Green, 39, deciding to celebrate her son's 20th birthday on Jan. 29 by putting the news out there for all of their family and friends in a fun way.

Weary from repeating the same conversation to loved ones, the family from Louisville, Kentucky, just decided to have a goofy and heartwarming photo shoot announcing to the world that "It's a boy!"

The pictures of a smiling Brown swaddled in a blanket and holding blue balloons with Green and his younger brother, Lucas, 17, have led to an enormous outpouring of support since Green posted them on Facebook.

"When your child comes out as trans, the best thing to do is create a photoshoot to celebrate the fact that he silently and bravely stepped out of the race that he never wanted to be in, found his own lane and proceeded to win,'' Green wrote in the post.

"Everybody has reached out just saying thank you for this because it means we can celebrate this,'' Green told TODAY. "My kid is a boy. When a parent says 'I'm having a boy,' you go, 'Yay, congratulations!' That should be true even if they're 20 in this case."

"Since this post has gotten so much positive feedback, I've felt like I can stand up for myself and say this is who I am,'' Brown told TODAY. "If you don't like it that's fine, but you need to respect how I feel and how I want to live my life, and just use the right name and the right pronouns and stop being mean for the sake of being mean."

Brown first came out to Lucas this past fall, to which his brother replied in typical teen deadpan fashion, "OK."

"I said, 'What would you think if I wanted to be a boy and change my name?'" Brown said. "He said, 'Well, you'd have to change your name tag at work."

His reaction gave Brown, who grew up as Hannah, the courage to tell his mother that he is a transgender man.

"I was obviously a little scared,'' Brown said. "I always knew my mom would accept me and be loving and supporting, but it was nerve-racking to say, 'Here's this big part of me, what do you think?'''

"I told him that I didn't know how to react, but of course I was going to love him through this,'' Green said.

"From a parent's perspective, there's almost a feeling of loss when a child comes out, even the parents that support it. You kind of go through a mourning process of letting go of, for me, this sweet little girl that I raised, while accepting his journey and his truth."

Green and Brown have received messages of thanks and hope from all over the world from transgender people and their families.

A study released in 2018 by the American Academy of Pediatrics found that transgender adolescents have a dramatically higher rate of suicide behavior than the general population, particularly those transitioning from female to male.

"There's been transgender people saying they were on the verge of suicide, and seeing the love and support we received has renewed their faith in humanity that people are beginning to accept and celebrate their community,'' Green said. "Those messages break my heart and lift it up at the same time."

"I'm glad it's helping so many people,'' Brown said. "One day my brother came home and gave me this bone-crushing hug, and he said a boy at his school who came out to his parents as trans had been considering suicide, and the reason he had the courage to tell them was because he saw the (Facebook) post."

Brown thought his mother's photo shoot idea was a little corny at first, but went along with it and had fun. Kara Davis, 14, the daughter of Green's boyfriend, Scott Davis, snapped the photos of the gender reveal.

"Both of my sons have been good about going along with my hare-brained schemes,'' Green said. "(Kara) thought I was insane, but she laughed and was like 'go ahead.' I think she really captured our essence in those photos."

The most gratifying part for Green may be the change she has seen in her son since the viral Facebook post.

"Before he kind of walked around with this air of apology, trying not to interfere or upset anyone else,'' she said. "Since this post, he's just been empowered and has a joy and a light that beams from him."

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

The first time ever that a gender reveal party wasn't terrible.

Senior Member Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
    The first time ever that a gender reveal party wasn't terrible.
    Those 'gender reveal' parties are some demented shit.

party * presents * narcissism * lower-class shenanigans

Look Marge, I'm reading The Economist, did you know Indonesia is at a crossroads?

Feb 26, 2019

Ellen Page: It's time to defend transgender people

Ellen Page decided to speak out after lesbian tennis player Martina Navratilova was fired from LGBTQ charity last week for making transphobic comments against transgender female athletes

Actress Ellen Page says it's time to "step up" to support transgender people. "We need to realise that a lot of the most marginalised people in our community have been left behind. We need to step up for trans people because they are under attack," Page, who is married to Canadian dancer Emma Portner, told Gay Times magazine.

The "Juno" star decided to speak out after lesbian tennis player Martina Navratilova was fired from a Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Queer (LGBTQ) charity last week for making transphobic comments against transgender female athletes, reports femalefirst.co.uk.

"A man can decide to be female, take hormones if required by whatever sporting organisation is concerned, win everything in sight and perhaps earn a small fortune, and then reverse his decision and go back to making babies," Navratilova said.

Responding to those comments, Page slammed the sporting star for letting history repeat itself, as she branded Navratilova's words as "demonising and dehumanising".

"It's not like people didn't use the same arguments for lesbian, gay and bisexual people, but people are also using that rhetoric to make trans people seem like predators. It's demonising and dehumanising. It's deplorable. In regards to those conversations in the UK, and the treatment and attack on trans rights in the US, it's utterly cruel," she said.

She RoXXX! Professional Poster LilyRox's Avatar

Navratilova is going after the wrong people. She should be trying to push laws, not personally attack people. I don't think anyone would only change their sex just to win a sports competition and I don't know what she's talking about saying "go back to making babies". It doesn't work like that, you become sterile and some trans don't even stay functional. It isn't just a switch you can flip on or off, taking hormones results in permanent lifelong choices.

I love Ellen Page. She has done a lot to speak up for the trans community (she's lesbian). She's great in the new Umbrella Academy series.