Senior Member Silver Poster MrFanti's Avatar

Lightbulb FTM Transgender wrestler Mack Beggs wins second Texas state girls’ championship

Interesting situation when you read the article...
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.4d1e065fb329

"I am, a SIGMA Male...

Senior Member Junior Poster

Default Re: FTM Transgender wrestler Mack Beggs wins second Texas state girls’ championship

Feminism winning ��

0 out of 2 members liked this post.

Default Re: FTM Transgender wrestler Mack Beggs wins second Texas state girls’ championship

Good for him, but I’d put an asterisk by that win.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Quote Originally Posted by legault View Post
    Feminism winning ��
    It's not feminism winning. It's an outdated rule about having to wrestle under the gender on your birth certificate. He wants to wrestle with the guys.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

This is wrong.

Mack Beggs is winning because of he is receiving testosterone injections (hence more muscle, and something which is not allowed in his opponents).

Mr. Beggs should have done the right thing and sat out the State tournament. He should have been the bigger person and realized his situation gave him an unfair advantage.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Senior Member Veteran Poster

When this story was first posted, I wanted to wait a couple of days to gather my thoughts about it. Its one of those stories that is going to cause a reaction no matter what side of the aisle a person sits on and I think its one of those situations where nuance is needed.

First, should the University Interscholastic League adopt a new rule that allows transgendered people to compete against the gender that isn't listed on their birth certificate?- Yes. I think they should come up with something similar to the NCAA's rule:

"trans male (FTM) student-athlete who has received a medical exception for treatment with testosterone for diagnosed Gender Identity Disorder or gender dysphoria and/or Transsexualism, for purposes of NCAA competition may compete on a men’s team, but is no longer eligible to compete on a women’s team without changing that team status to a mixed team".

This way you're being fair to the transgendered person and you're preserving the the integrity of women’s sports.

Second, I think it is fair to question whether or not Mack has an unfair advantage over his female opponents due to the testosterone injections he is receiving. It would be interesting to see what his record was before he started transitioning. From the two articles that I read, I haven't seen it mentioned.

Third, I think you can have empathy for Mack's situation. But at same time, think it isn't right that he is competing against female wrestlers. Especially when you consider that he is going to get the chance to compete against other boys on the national level. A decision that was reached last year. So its also fair to wonder if he should have competed in this year's state tournament.

Finally, I'm all for people following their dreams. I also understand that starting the transitioning process is an important step in a transgendered person's life. But sometimes in life people have prioritize what's most important to them. So I think its fair to ask whether Mack should have either waited to begin transitioning until he was done competing at the high school level or stopped competing altogether while he was doing so.

Last edited by blackchubby38; 03-04-2018 at 11:08 PM.

Senior Member Gold Poster Murmdrum's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackchubby38 View Post
    When this story was first posted, I wanted to wait a couple of days to gather my thoughts about it. Its one of those stories that is going to cause a reaction no matter what side of the aisle a person sits and I think its one of those situations where nuance is needed.

First, should the University Interscholastic League adopt a new rule that allows transgendered people to compete against the gender that isn't listed on their birth certificate?- Yes. I think they should come up with something similar to the NCAA's rule:

"trans male (FTM) student-athlete who has received a medical exception for treatment with testosterone for diagnosed Gender Identity Disorder or gender dysphoria and/or Transsexualism, for purposes of NCAA competition may compete on a men’s team, but is no longer eligible to compete on a women’s team without changing that team status to a mixed team".

This way you're being fair to the transgendered person and you're preserving the the integrity of women’s sports.

Second, I think it is fair to question whether or not Mack has an unfair advantage over his female opponents due to testosterone injections he is receiving. It would be interesting to see what his record was before he started transitioning. From the two articles that I read, I haven't seen it mentioned.

Third, I think you can have empathy for Mack's situation. But at same time, think it isn't right that he is competing against female wrestlers. Especially when you consider that he is going to get the chance to compete against other boys on the national level. A decision that was reached last year. So its also fair to wonder if he should have competed in this year's state tournament.

Finally, I'm all for people following their dreams. I also understand that starting the transitioning process is an important step in a transgendered person's life. But sometimes in life people have prioritize what's most important to them. So I think its fair to ask whether Mack should have either waited to begin transitioning until he was done competing at the high school level or stopped competing altogether while he was doing so.

I believe last year was 9 losses and this year 0 losses....i read the story a few weeks back and can't remember the wins

Senior Member Veteran Poster

Also just in case anybody was interested:

"trans female (MTF) student-athlete being treated with testosterone suppression medication for Gender Identity Disorder or gender dysphoria and/or Transsexualism, for the purposes of NCAA competition may continue to compete on a men’s team but may not compete on a women’s team without changing it to a mixed team status until completing one calendar year of testosterone suppression treatment".

Last edited by blackchubby38; 03-05-2018 at 01:28 AM.