Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Gold Poster

Default Re: Happiness is a warm gun

Quote Originally Posted by buttslinger View Post
    We're Killers, Man, Remember Lexington and Concord?
    The death totals on both sides indicated they weren't using Ar-15s. Let's bring back muskets.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.
    Last edited by broncofan; 02-16-2018 at 04:17 AM.

Senior Member Silver Poster

Quote Originally Posted by broncofan View Post
    The death totals on both sides indicated they weren't using Ar-15s. Let's bring back muskets.
    That was just my Ugly American cheap shot at Stavros for running down my Country. Only WE have the right to run down our Country!!!
    Many Hunters do use a bow and Arrow to hunt, although those compound bows they make now probably are more deadly than a musket.
    It seems like yesterday was the day to be bummed out, I woke up this morning in a really down mood, today was the day to get mad. These fuckin Republican Fatcats hiding behind the second amendment to line their pockets with NRA bucks needs a look. Little Kids getting murdered and they're accusing the Democrats of politicizing it. The stats on guns are unbelievable!!! No way could they exist without Political Cover. I can't say the Republicans are directly responsible for a Gun Crazy USA, but I would go out on a limb and say the children are innocent. Maybe we need an Amendment to the Constitution that says we should look out for our kids.
    Obama said talking to the parents of the Sandy Hook Kids were his hardest days. God, I miss that guy....

upload image gif

World Class Asshole

Gold Poster

That was just my Ugly American cheap shot at Stavros for running down my Country. Only WE have the right to run down our Country!!!
    Many Hunters do use a bow and Arrow to hunt, although those compound bows they make now probably are more deadly than a musket.
    I thought it was! Now's not a good time for us. During the Obama years it was obstructionism and rising racism. But now it's peak racism, treason, and massacres. We know who we are, but it's impossible for other folks to not wanna let us know what they're seeing. It's not a pretty picture.

When I was 12 I fired some sort of ancient gun at summer camp. It's the only time I shot a gun, other than a paintball gun. I can tell you this, I definitely wouldn't be able to figure out how to work one of those muskets. They have powder and a flask and musketballs.....

The NRA problem is tied to another problem which is money in politics. Are we going to have to come up with bigger bribes to Republicans to save our kids?

1 out of 2 members liked this post.

Republicans already have a surefire gun control system: Move to an ULTRA-RICH Neighborhood.

0 out of 1 members liked this post.
    World Class Asshole

Senior Member Platinum Poster

I think the problem is there's a particular brand of loser who knows the American Dream doesn't include him, and it just takes a bad day, moment, week or year to push him over the edge. In my grade his name was Riffy, he was always stoned, and after a big fight with his Mom one afternoon, he died in a shoot-out with the Police. I was friends with twins in my elementary school, but by high school they became "hoods" and we never really talked much. While skipping school one day, Charles killed himself playing Russian Roulette with his Dad's gun. Years later I would talk with his brother, but high school was a high pressure environment. My Job never gave me three hours of homework.
    To be totally honest, but without giving anybody ideas, I'm surprised some troubled soul with some smarts and a whopping Imagination hasn't pulled off a terrorist event that kills hundreds of thousands. Like YodaJazz was eluding to on another post, everybody has a kind of moral gyroscope that limits their kills to a kind of Justice in their own minds. The Columbine kids were bullied, I remember. If a solution to gun violence is found, I would think it would have to be a roundabout solution, like taxes, black people with concealed weapon permits, an end to gerrymandering, or a Russian Scandal so huge the entire Country gets revolted and leans left for a generation. I remember when everybody in the USA smoked cigarettes, how suicidal is that?
    Like I explained to you before, The USA is #1 because of Nagasaki and Hiroshima. We're Killers, Man, Remember Lexington and Concord?
    There is nothing personal about this, what puzzles a lot of us outside the USA is how you can do so many things at world class level, while in other areas you undermine that quality of performance -race relations and gun ownership being two outstanding causes. You could argue at the cultural-historical level that violence has been endemic in American life since Jamestown, that without Lexington and Concord there would be no USA, but that doesn't make it necessary today and the USA's greatest achievements did not necessitate murdering people in their thousands, and nor is the US number 1 as you depict it, given that per capita it is more dangerous today to live in Honduras, El Salvador and Syria than it is in Florida. Parkland was the safest town in Florida before this incident.

I agree that it is often the case that resentment of one kind or another motivates lethal violence, and that you can't legislate for that. But what you can do is use the law to make it harder for people with seething rage and resentment to go into a shop or visit a gun show or purchase online the weapons that give practical expression to that rage and resentment and results in multiple deaths of innocent people -or family members as is the case with so many gun-related homicides.

Watching the President yesterday was to witness a sickening hypocrisy from a man who says there is a mental health problem having made it easier, rather than harder for such people to buy weapons. When is this man going to be subjected to the robust face-to-face grilling that our Prime Minister and Leader of the Opposition is subjected to in the UK?

An 18-year old Cruz was able, legally to buy a semi-automatic weapon, but not old enough to buy a beer. Why make one illegal but not the other?

2 out of 3 members liked this post.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

...It seems like yesterday was the day to be bummed out, I woke up this morning in a really down mood, today was the day to get mad. These fuckin Republican Fatcats hiding behind the second amendment to line their pockets with NRA bucks needs a look. Little Kids getting murdered and they're accusing the Democrats of politicizing it. The stats on guns are unbelievable!!! No way could they exist without Political Cover. I can't say the Republicans are directly responsible for a Gun Crazy USA, but I would go out on a limb and say the children are innocent. Maybe we need an Amendment to the Constitution that says we should look out for our kids.
    Obama said talking to the parents of the Sandy Hook Kids were his hardest days. God, I miss that guy....
    I can’t say either that the Republicans are directly (or indirectly) responsible for a Gun Crazy USA, but they are responsible for current policy and the current sorry state of our laws relating to firearms.

I do not believe the US has more ‘crazies’ than any other nation. Take any other wealthy nation, give them our gun-laws, our healthcare system, our collapsing pension system etc. and you will probably find school shootings and other gun violence rises to the proportion we find in the US.
    Violence in the US is a symptom of our failure to develop successful policies for dealing with all of these other issues; that failure is primarily due to our failure to see beyond ourselves, our own self-interests, our failure to empathize with others and allowing corporations to essentially codify this attitude into (if not a national philosophy, then) the philosophy one of our major political parties.

2 out of 3 members liked this post.
    "...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Trish and Stavros:
    I'm painting with a broad brush here, but Republicans taking away guns from poor white trash would be like Democrats taking Welfare Checks away from Poor black Single Mothers. There really is two USAs, not Republican and Democrat, Rich and Poor. It's not the guys with huge Historic Gun Collections in their Basements, It's more about inner city poor kids, and poor people in "flyover" USA. People with shit jobs, no future.
    They once polled "poor" Republicans, and found out they don't have poor Republicans, they have WORKING CLASS Republicans. One of my Street Whores told me she could get me underage girls, drugs, machine guns,....anything I wanted if I looked out for her. The same people who buy 50 Lottery tickets buy guns. They say Americans are the only people in the World who think they are ENTITLED to happiness.
    I'll explain gun violence to you two when you explain to me why two such highly intellectual individuals are hangin' on a debate page peppered with mind numbing tittlating shemales!!!
    Hey, if this was an easy fix, it would be fixed. It is what it is. A Mystery is what it is. All those Republicans who got huge checks from the NRA were so upset in their tweets yesterday. Trish and Stavros, I agree with both of you, your are right. But I am more right. Because my Mental Disease allows me to see the Despair more clearly. And Revel in it.
    If the USA didn't rise as ONE after Sandy Hook and Columbine, it's every man for himself. I don't know, I really don't know. How did we get Trump as President? I haven't figured that one out either, but I'd bet the answer is not good. Even if you can explain the problem, you would have to fix a problem that doesn't want to be fixed. Everybody has an amulet around their neck with pain, misery, death, taxes. The solution is sometimes not to think about it. For all it's riches, America has a cancer.

World Class Asshole

Trish and Stavros:
    I'm painting with a broad brush here, but Republicans taking away guns from poor white trash would be like Democrats taking Welfare Checks away from Poor black Single Mothers. There really is two USAs, not Republican and Democrat, Rich and Poor. It's not the guys with huge Historic Gun Collections in their Basements, It's more about inner city poor kids, and poor people in "flyover" USA. People with shit jobs, no future.
    I cannot write with much authority on the US as I don't live there, but the danger in referring to a 'coastal' and 'flyover' America is that repeated enough times it creates a division that is not there. The supposedly 'liberal' complexion of Boston and New York on the East Coast, San Francisco and LA on the West, sits uneasily with the coastal regions of Florida and Texas and in any case this is the wrong analogy to use. Although it may be a given that the USA is divided, so are most countries that I can think of including the UK. It sounds philosophical but I think part of the problem is that if you ask Americas what does America mean, you get a diverse range of answers. They may all agree on the importance of the Constitution and the rule of law, but not agree on what the Constitution means, or judge that the rule of law is fair in the sense that everyone is equal before the law. One could get lost in a labyrinth of contested interpretations of 'What America means to me' and yet this has been the source of its politics since 1776.

Gun control thus may be seen in this context, and whether or not it is an optional extra or a necessary part of what it means to be an American. I see it as an affront to the authority of the State, for if the State concedes its monopoly on the legitimate use of force to citizens on the basis of trust, but only that basis, it cannot in fact control its society if gun owners challenge state authority indeed, repudiate the authority of the government and law enforcement agencies. As the USA provides its citizens with protection from external attack through its military and intelligence agencies, and protection from domestic attack through its police services, there can be no justification for the widespread ownership of firearms, just as the first ban on the ownership of such weapons was introduced after the Civil War when fears that freed slaves would run rampage across the south killing all in their path.

I suggest a major contradiction has now opened up between the authority of the state and its law and order regime, and the widespread ownership of firearms by Americans who have not only lost faith in their own governing system, but may resort to the use of those weapons at some future date if they believe their inherited privileges are being undermined by an America they do not recognize as their own. 'A well regulated militia' may have been written into the Constitution to protect the country against another British incursion (as indeed happened), but it no longer applies and if anything is now a direct threat to the survival of the USA as an integrated union of 50 states.

Hence the question: can the 2nd Amendment be repealed or replaced? Maybe it is time to stop tinkering and go for the core justification that is no longer relevant, or is a threat to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness if young lives are extinguished before they even have a chance to realise that dream. Happiness is not a warm gun, after all.

Nice pensmanship, Stavros, I live in Northern Virginia, and I can tell you if I drive an hour and a half south it's a different world. That's about the same distance it would take me to legally discharge a firearm.
    I'm sure you could amend the Constitution to make pink hats mandatory, but that's not going to happen.
    Marshall Law, that's not going to happen.
    Sometimes you'll get a Brady Bill, like after Reagan was shot, and one time Reagan imposed gun laws during the time the Black Panthers used to walk around with rifles in their neighborhoods.
    They had a list of the Republican Senators that received NRA money last election, as much money as the Russians spent, the NRA spent more. We've got overlapping problems going on here.
    Americans have a fascination with guns.
    If the Military, the Police, the Red Cross, Medicare, Social Security all had more money, living in the USA would be Heaven on Earth.
    As it is, the book goes out the window when the demands exceed the ability. This is what a twenty trillion deficit looks like.
    Try to look at the bright side, that's the best I can offer. I'm stressed out of my mind lately.

World Class Asshole

No surprises that the pathetic response of the President is to blame everyone else. Blame the FBI for not taking action against Cruz, blame Obama and his supporters for not passing stronger anti-gun laws in their first term, as if he supported such things. Nothing about guns, a refusal to publish any photos of him signing away the Obama era ruling making it harder for people with mental health issues to buy guns, and not a word of criticism of the NRA or the gun show that opened this weekend just miles away from Parkland.

And yet, is this a turning point, as students plan their own march on Washington DC? Is Emma Gonzalez the face of a new movement led by women that is transforming the public sphere in the US? Or is this just a spasm of rage that the NRA and its supporters will see through while passing Conceal and Carry and turning every school, hotel, mall, cinema, hospital and station into an armed fortress, increasing the number of guns in society? One wonders if it is, or if Bannon was right to claim, in somewhat hysterical fashion that the #metoo movement was women putting an end to 10,000 years of history dominated by men, though I am not sure where the 10,000 came from.

On the one hand the US has been here before, on the other hand maybe it is too soon to predict, and we may be surprised....