Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Senior Member Professional Poster peejaye's Avatar

Default Re: Do you want a 2nd BREXIT vote?

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    Peejaye, did you not tell us in the other Brexit thread that you voted to Leave not because of the EU, but because you opposed David Cameron and his government's policies of economic austerity? You were not asked to vote on domestic economic policy but on the future of the country in a vote that you surely knew would change the UK for more than a generation -and yet you ignored this out of spite. What, then, is a fickle voter?
    You are partially correct but I have been saying the European Union should be broken up for about 5 years are so. I think some people have mistaken me for a floating voter who watches television then decides how to vote. You couldn't be more wrong. I don't sit on the fence with anything. I still feel the same and won't be happy till the lot is broken up. You seem to struggle with this? Cameron going was a huge bonus. I didn't actually believe him before the result as he, like most Tories, is a passive liar.
    I've STILL yet to see or meet anyone who isn't wealthy who actually voted to remain & I will add; I still think YOU are a Politician or someone who's worked very closely with them but that's your business.

Quote Originally Posted by buttslinger View Post
    No ...you're exactly right because a Government for, of, and by the People MUST juggle catastrophe at all times.
    I'm guessing Brexit boils down to Immigration, just like Trump. It took pissed off women 150 years to get the "right" to vote, but to this day the only thing a pissed off blackman gets is a trip to jail. The biggest flaw in a Democracy are it's people, same as any other form of government.
    thx for providing me the appropriate opportunity to use my favorite quote (Stavros hates it)
    "democracy is the worst form of government.... except for all the others"
    Winston Curchill

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by flabbybody View Post
    thx for providing me the appropriate opportunity to use my favorite quote (Stavros hates it)
    Winston Curchill
    I have trouble believing this could be anyone's favorite quote. In form it looks like a clever or memorable statement but is lacking any depth, insight, or wisdom. It is my favorite quotation, except for all the others.

The issue with referendum is the degree to which an issue is decided in a purely democratic manner as opposed to being mediated through representatives. Likewise in our country, it is not just our representative government that prevents pure democracy but also inviolable rights that we set aside.

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Jong-un View Post
    The head of the British Bankers’ Association promoted competition in banking, arguing that challenger banks should have a level playing field with large banks on prudential regulation. The government was supportive, but the barrier was the EU. It was a constant frustration to the UK’s global financial institutions that the EU would apply its rules to their operations all over the world, making them less competitive internationally. Come Brexit, it seems likely the government would be able to ensure that a UK bank or insurance company working in the US or Asia can compete with US or Asian banks on a level playing field.
    I was wondering if you could give some examples of how this might work to your benefit. In particular what regulations would you be able to avoid? So you're saying you think your financial sector is going to be more profitable if banks are able to avoid costly regulations in countries that have less stringent regulations? Why is more legislation appropriate in some places but not others and in what ways would your banks be more competitive if the E.U did not restrict their practices?

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by peejaye View Post
    You are partially correct but I have been saying the European Union should be broken up for about 5 years are so. I think some people have mistaken me for a floating voter who watches television then decides how to vote. You couldn't be more wrong. I don't sit on the fence with anything. I still feel the same and won't be happy till the lot is broken up. You seem to struggle with this? Cameron going was a huge bonus. I didn't actually believe him before the result as he, like most Tories, is a passive liar.
    I've STILL yet to see or meet anyone who isn't wealthy who actually voted to remain & I will add; I still think YOU are a Politician or someone who's worked very closely with them but that's your business.
    Fair enough, I give you credit for voting against Cameron as well as being opposed to the EU, but I still wonder why. The UK was a founder member of the European Free Trade Area in 1960 and the economic growth of the 1960s is often attributed to that, which was a further incentive to join the EEC as it then was. I think you know the political arguments that led to the formation of the European Union in its early form in the 1950s, and I think you are sensitive to the need France and Germany had to put centuries of war behind them and find a new way of living together. For all the criticisms of it -let us not talk about the garbage speech Boris Johnson gave today-, the EU as it is has been a blessing rather than a curse, and if your preferred option were to come to pass -the dissolution of the EU- it would merely be replaced in time by another trading bloc with or without the 'political union' just as the UK in time will realise that 'standing alone' doesn't make sense and either re-join the EFTA or find some other collective to be part of. For the simple reason that this is how capitalism now works best, not through individual, but through collective and creative partnerships. Do you really think the US is going to scrap the North America Free Trade agreement? The UK can only flourish if it has trade with other countries, I cannot think of a more stupid proposition than leaving a market of 500 million with trade worth more than $200 billion a year for an inferior relationship that by definition will leave the UK poorer, even as it seeks re-entry into the very same market it has just left. The USA cannot thrive as an economy without allowing foreign governments to buy its (colossal, and gowing) debt, to invest in its properties and industries, just as supply chains are now global not national.

But maybe the administrations in the US and UK are begging precisely the question: do we need you? But I think the answer is yes, not no, and that if the US and UK turn inwards the long term costs will be severe.

Quote Originally Posted by flabbybody View Post
    Winston Curchill
    Nothing wrong with the quote, it is the genocidal racist who made it I don't like.

Quote Originally Posted by broncofan View Post
    I was wondering if you could give some examples of how this might work to your benefit. In particular what regulations would you be able to avoid? So you're saying you think your financial sector is going to be more profitable if banks are able to avoid costly regulations in countries that have less stringent regulations? Why is more legislation appropriate in some places but not others and in what ways would your banks be more competitive if the E.U did not restrict their practices?
    Kim Jon-un didn't write this, he cut and pasted the article from The Sun that I linked in my reply to that post.

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    Kim Jon-un didn't write this, he cut and pasted the article from The Sun that I linked in my reply to that post.
    Lifting an entire article word for word without attribution? That Kim Jong-un really is a monster.

Senior Member Gold Poster holzz's Avatar

no. what's the point? we know we're leaving. If anything, the terms of the deal should be subject to referendum.

Or the government should ask the people directly, have consultations, and then put the most popular option to a vote.