Veteran Poster

Default Does Prostate Cancer threaten Transgender Women?

I'm honestly curious! I am wondering if this ailment has claimed or threatened the life of a transwoman. Or just is it a male thing. I've looked it up already and didnt see much. But I might of overlooked some common sense facts, I mean it blew my mind when I met a female that stuttered... facts. Or maybe the fact most trans take hormones and that might reduce their chances. Also if this was posted before ignore it. But at the same time enlighten me.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Default Re: Does Prostate Cancer threaten Transgender Women?

Estrogen based HRT certainly lowers the risk of prostate cancer significantly, but is not a 100% effective deterent . Following PSA levels is a simple, cheap way of monitoring for prostate cancer .

Surprisingly, even post-op transwomen are at a certain low level of risk , as GRS typically does not remove the prostate gland .

It may be only a theoretical risk, but it does no one any good to ignore the possibility .

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by IluvemHung View Post
    I'm honestly curious! I am wondering if this ailment has claimed or threatened the life of a transwoman. Or just is it a male thing. I've looked it up already and didnt see much. But I might of overlooked some common sense facts, I mean it blew my mind when I met a female that stuttered... facts. Or maybe the fact most trans take hormones and that might reduce their chances. Also if this was posted before ignore it. But at the same time enlighten me.
    Sadly the answer is yes:
    Prostate cancer can and does happen to transgender women. A 2013 case study published in the Canadian Urological Association Journal, for example, reports the case of a transgender woman who was diagnosed with metastatic prostate cancer (meaning, it had spread beyond her prostate to other parts of her body), 31 years after she transitioned. Another case study published in JAMA tells the story of a transgender woman who was diagnosed with prostate cancer 41 years after her transition.
    https://www.self.com/story/transgend...te-cancer-risk

See also
    http://prostatecancer.ca/Prostate-Ca...nder-Community

Thx Stavros. trans women are biological males and posess prostate glands regardless of hormone therapy or SRS history.

To everyone over 50 yrs old: know your PSA level. If it’s over 4.0 there may be further tests recommended.
    Know your PSA at 45 if you’re black or have a close relative with prostate cancer.
    This disease will not kill you if detected early via PSA screening

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

The current consensus on this is that if you go on HRT before age 40 its almost impossible for you to get prostate cancer. If you go on HRT after age 40, it actually makes your prostate cancer risk get worse.

The woman mentioned in that study linked earlier who got it 31 years after transitioning was 45 when she started. Would it have still happened if she'd gone on HRT 6 years earlier? Really no way to say.

And maybe its easier to withdraw from life
    With all of its misery and wretched lies
    If we're dead when tomorrow's gone
    The Big Machine will just move on
    Still we cling afraid we'll fall
    Clinging like the memory which haunts us all

Quote Originally Posted by SarahG View Post
    The current consensus on this is that if you go on HRT before age 40 its almost impossible for you to get prostate cancer. If you go on HRT after age 40, it actually makes your prostate cancer risk get worse.

The woman mentioned in that study linked earlier who got it 31 years after transitioning was 45 when she started. Would it have still happened if she'd gone on HRT 6 years earlier? Really no way to say.
    I'm sorry but your first sentence stating that it's impossible to get prostate cancer if you go on HRT prior to reaching age 40 is not borne out by any recognized study in The US, UK or Australia that I can find. Can you tell me where there's some info on this?
    Hormone therapy is a wide range of treatment cocktails prescribed at different stages of life with very different objectives.
    It's effectiveness as treatment in various stages of cancer is a subject of debate among the medical community.
    Early life HRT to effect gender transformation and cosmetic outcomes has not demonstrated later in life protection against disease, as far as I can tell.

On an upbeat note, there's a study out of Boston University and Harvard Medical school that finds masterbating 21 or more times per month might reduce a man's prostate cancer risk. For some of us that's not a very difficult threshold to obtain. Sex resulting in ejaculation also counts.
    Draw your own conclusions. And know your blood PSA level.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedh...e-cancer-risk/

Last edited by flabbybody; 01-28-2018 at 09:26 AM.