Default HAPPY BOXING DAY everyone

Wish the day after Christmas was an official American holiday like in the UK. Who the hell wants to go to work?
    I've lived with Brit culture for many years but never heard a definitive explanation for the origins of Boxing Day.
    Yea, I know about super rich medieval folks putting their old shit in boxes for their servants who would always get December 26th off.
    But I'm looking for a more acceptable legend for modern correctness

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Member Rookie Poster

Default Re: HAPPY BOXING DAY everyone

It's the day everyone puts their unwanted Christmas gifts back in the box to exchange them at the store...

filghy2 Silver Poster

Quote Originally Posted by flabbybody View Post
    Wish the day after Christmas was an official American holiday like in the UK. Who the hell wants to go to work?
    I've lived with Brit culture for many years but never heard a definitive explanation for the origins of Boxing Day.
    Yea, I know about super rich medieval folks putting their old shit in boxes for their servants who would always get December 26th off.
    That seems to be the generally-accepted explanation, though there is another one relating to distribution of alms boxes to the poor on St Stephens day (also on the 26th).

Senior Member Professional Poster peejaye's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flabbybody View Post
    If it weren't for the football fixtures it would be a day I would rather forget. Unless it as changed recently; Belguim, the country which make most of our laws don't recognise Dec 26th as a bank holiday? It used to be a normal working day if it fell between Monday & Friday!
    Just to clarify; There is no public transport throughout the UK, unless of course, you happen to live in London! Surprise-surprise!