Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    filghy2 Silver Poster

Default Re: Are all cultures equal?

Quote Originally Posted by MrFanti View Post
    Agreed 100%
    This is one of those 'ugly truths' that an be hard to swallow and that we oftentimes take our status here in the USA for granted.
    It is also an ugly truth that the greater tolerance of LGBTs in western countries has happened in spite of the best efforts of your fellow travellers on the right. That's why trying to use this as an anti-liberal argument (a the initial post implied) is quite disingenuous.

Senior Member Silver Poster MrFanti's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by filghy2 View Post
    It is also an ugly truth that the greater tolerance of LGBTs in western countries has happened in spite of the best efforts of your fellow travellers on the right. That's why trying to use this as an anti-liberal argument (a the initial post implied) is quite disingenuous.
    Who are you calling "your fellow travelers on the right"?
    I never said I was a person on the right...

Read up!

"I am, a SIGMA Male...

Senior Member Veteran Poster Lester316's Avatar

The thread title is rather short and simple but it's a minefield to be honest; more specific versions of it have probably been subject of no end of university dissertations over the years.

Sadly the simple answer to the thread title is no they aren't and probably yes they should be. Sadly true equality in any place isn't a reality yet; we are just closer to it in some than others, with some countries being decades behind. But the impacting factors are too many to mention with economics, religion and politics to name just a few.

I feel privileged that I live in a country where I feel safe enough to openly be who I want to be despite the fact some people still openly hate that fact at the same time. It's a scary thought that in so many places just being yourself is enough to warrant hatred and the threat of death however; but then every time I watch the news I wonder if those of us from countries where we can feel so privileged will feel that way for much longer. If recent years have taught us anything there are sections of society that have voted for political change for very scary negative reasons and feel they can be more openly hateful because of those results.

Don't get me wrong I'm not really pro or anti-brexit for example I can see the sensible reasons for both but there is most certainly a minority that voted out of hatred of others; and I'm no fan of Hilary Clinton - in many way the old South Park episode came true in my eyes with voting between a giant douche and a turd sandwich - but a world where a man as hateful as Donald Trump currently holds so much power scares me.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.
    Before I came here I was confused about this subject. Having listened to your lecture I am still confused. But on a higher level. Enrico Fermi

I confused things with their names: that is belief. Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by Lester316 View Post
    I feel privileged that I live in a country where I feel safe enough to openly be who I want to be despite the fact some people still openly hate that fact at the same time.
    Nailed it!

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    "I am, a SIGMA Male...

filghy2 Silver Poster

Quote Originally Posted by MrFanti View Post
    Who are you calling "your fellow travelers on the right"?
    I never said I was a person on the right...

Read up!
    I have. Every post I've seen from you on a political question has supported the right-wing position (gun control, net neutrality, climate change). If there are others that I've missed then how about pointing them out?

Quote Originally Posted by filghy2 View Post
    I have. Every post I've seen from you on a political question has supported the right-wing position (gun control, net neutrality, climate change). If there are others that I've missed then how about pointing them out?
    You missed everything....

Well....I guess you need to pay objective attention rather than cater to your own biases.
    Never have I stated that I'm a right wing person.

And for the record - I'm not.
    Perhaps you should stop, think, and understand that world is not fully Left nor Right.......one example of that are Libertarians another are Independents.

Or to simplify things for you, everything is not Black or White....Or if you're a Star Wars fan, to simplify for you....everything is not absolutes in that you're either with me or against me...

Etcetera, etcetera....

Last edited by MrFanti; 12-22-2017 at 01:29 PM.
    "I am, a SIGMA Male...

Senior Member Junior Poster

All animals are equal
    but some animals are more equal then others.

Senior Member Junior Poster

Absolutely not

0 out of 1 members liked this post.

Junior Poster

Equal? Try "successful", read a lot of history, and you'll have your answer.

GHB

Senior Member Gold Poster holzz's Avatar

no. all hold the right to their culture, but some are more progressive, or more advanced, than others.