Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Member Junior Poster

Default Are all cultures equal?

I sometimes argue with my liberal friends about whether all cultures are equal and sometimes I think the LGBT forget how much worse it is to be not straight than in non western countries and how backward some countries are about alot of things. What is anyone else s take?

Senior Member Junior Poster

Default Re: Are all cultures equal?

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by retroboy View Post
    I sometimes argue with my liberal friends about whether all cultures are equal and sometimes I think the LGBT forget how much worse it is to be not straight than in non western countries and how backward some countries are about alot of things. What is anyone else s take?
    Your pose one question which begins with a general question about culture before limiting the response to LGBTQPIAN/B rights in different countries. Attitudes as well as laws that do not support LGBTQPIAN/B citizens are common across the world and examples may be more numerous than the more liberal laws and attitudes that can be found in parts of Europe, America and Asia -but even then, you don't need to go far to discover that even in the US or the UK, for every successful LGBTQPIAN/B individual, there are more examples of distress, which may be related to the lack of employment opportunities, restricted access to education and health services, and most of all vulnerability to violent attack.

Whether the country they live in is Religious or Secular may not be the cause of the problem, let alone its culture whatever that means.
    LGBTQPIAN/B people are often not equal with other citizens, wherever they live, that is the core problem.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Senior Member Silver Poster MrFanti's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by retroboy View Post
    I think the LGBT forget how much worse it is to be not straight than in non western countries and how backward some countries are about alot of things. What is
    Agreed 100%
    This is one of those 'ugly truths' that an be hard to swallow and that we oftentimes take our status here in the USA for granted.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.
    "I am, a SIGMA Male...

@-}--- Professional Poster

Cultures may look different but people still act crazy & passionate for TS

Senior Member Gold Poster Laphroaig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by delhiguy View Post
    Cultures may look different but people still act crazy & passionate for TS
    Or in some cultures, against...

Senior Member Silver Poster MrFanti's Avatar

Another 'ugly truth' (or difficult to swallow truth), is that the videos in the previous postings illustrate some of the differences between Black America and Africa - and why Africans have a distinctly different view of Black America...often different than what "we" want....

"I am, a SIGMA Male...

Senior Member Professional Poster

Not all cultures are equal. Try going to many of the "religion of peace" nations and make love to a ts there. Make it public and you will be killed.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by BostonBad View Post
    Not all cultures are equal. Try going to many of the "religion of peace" nations and make love to a ts there. Make it public and you will be killed.
    Make it public and you will be killed.

As happens in the USA. And most of those African countries are Christian, and when was the last time anyone dared be seen in public with a transgendered girlfriend in Jamaica and lived to tell the tale?

There doesn't even seem to be an equality of bigotry here.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

To ask whether one thing is ‘equal’ to something else is already to allow that distinct things can be regarded as ‘equal’ provided you look at them through various prescribed filters.

It take it that this thread is interested in filtering out everything but how cultures interact with gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender persons.

Under this filter, few cultures do well. The U.S. seems to be improving but not very many years ago gay men were jailed, beaten and killed. Our President wants to make America Great Again in that very respect. Presently Roy Moore’s popularity as well as his infamy is in part due to his despicable views on gays and transgender persons.

I find it a bit confusing, because it’s tempting to begin comparing nations, religions and races when the question is about equivalence between cultures. Are Christianity and Islam cultures? How about Evangelicals or Sufi? Does the gay community count as culture in and of itself? Black American males? I would caution against making judgments about too broad a group of people.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.