Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Senior Member Veteran Poster

Default Re: Editing Thread Names

Quote Originally Posted by GroobySteven View Post
    No. We're not policing words which are used in context.
    Just because those words doesn't work for one group of people, they might be acceptable to another.
    yeah, like nigger of faggot.

0 out of 5 members liked this post.

Transexual Princess Junior Poster KelliBlueEyes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GroobySteven View Post
    No. We're not policing words which are used in context.
    Just because those words doesn't work for one group of people, they might be acceptable to another.
    Interesting that slurs against trans people are so common on a forum who’s purpose is essentially the sexual objectification of trans people.

I’d probably be in trouble if i started a thread entitled “sex with [insert slur here]”

I understand that it’s too inconvenient to revise any PAST posts on the site, but in the interest of progress it would be helpful if slurs were blacklisted from becoming new thread topics. I believe vbulletin either supports the ability to blacklist various words or phrases from thread topics or a plug-in is available

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    Snap: Kelliblueeyesx

Http://Kelliblueeyes.tumblr.com

@KelliBlue@switter.at

Senior Member Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by KelliBlueEyes View Post
    Interesting that slurs against trans people are so common on a forum who’s purpose is essentially the sexual objectification of trans people.

I’d probably be in trouble if i started a thread entitled “sex with [insert slur here]”

I understand that it’s too inconvenient to revise any PAST posts on the site, but in the interest of progress it would be helpful if slurs were blacklisted from becoming new thread topics. I believe vbulletin either supports the ability to blacklist various words or phrases from thread topics or a plug-in is available
    Bravo!

Senior Member Veteran Poster Lester316's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KelliBlueEyes View Post

Assuming this is correct (I'm not doubting you I just have no idea how vbulletin works) surely it would at least be possible to restrict the future use of the same words that are being removed during Grooby site renaming? Expectations would have to be realistic of course so not before the specific sites have all been renamed - they want to be able to promote their product on a forum they own of course.

I understand Steven saying what is unacceptable to one might be acceptable to another but certain terms transcend that surely? Once it becomes clear a term is offensive to a particular group of people; so much so that it has become business savvy to remove it from a brand name - and the main goal in changing should be about respecting who people are not just protecting a brand I'd hope - it's further use should be restricted or at least warnings or bans issued after it's repeated use.

As a point of comparison the N word isn't seen as acceptable and in a lot of countries its use would be seen as a hate crime so it isn't tolerated; the general rule of thumb springs to mind that if we wouldn't/shouldn't say a certain thing to someone's face in public we shouldn't get away with typing it online in a forum. There is an argument that some cultures reclaim derogatory words as a form of self-empowerment of course but does that apply here? My sense is individuals from this community aren't using certain words in that way as those who transition (correct me if I have this wrong) identify as a specific gender and try to avoid terms that have stigmas attached.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    Before I came here I was confused about this subject. Having listened to your lecture I am still confused. But on a higher level. Enrico Fermi

I confused things with their names: that is belief. Jean-Paul Sartre

Freudian Slip Platinum Poster Wendy Summers's Avatar

I know my position isn't shared by most other folks who are activists, but... whatever.

I'm of the mind that banning those words does little good. To the uninformed, these are the terms they search for when looking for this type of content. Therefore we're faced with 2 options: include it and be the website they find when searching or don't and let more distasteful websites get the hits.

Hung Angels has long been a place where education can and does occur. (Hey kids -- remember when this was added to the sidebar? http://www.hungangels.com/vboard/fri...trans_ally.jpg) Let the terms exist here, but make sure that we, as the community, gently explain the more respectful way to have these conversations.

Banning the language doesn't change behavior. Non-judgmental education does.

/offsoapbox

3 out of 3 members liked this post.