Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Member Platinum Poster

Default Re: Jerusalem, the Golden City

Quote Originally Posted by peejaye View Post
    How many threads as this guy started up on this website all obsessing over one individual?
    You're gunna give yourself a fucking hernia!
    Peejaye, it is not about the President, it is about Jerusalem. This President hasn't got a clue and is merely a useful idiot for some very, very dangerous people.
    More importantly, what is your view of the USA's decision, and what proposals do you have to re-start the peace process between Israel and the Palestinians, with specific reference to Jerusalem?

Here is my proposal:

a) As an important religious city for Jews, Christians and Muslims, Jerusalem, as a matter of principle, should have the politics taken out, and thus not be the 'capital city' of either the state of Israel or Palestine.

b) to achieve this, the municipal boundaries of Jerusalem should be re-drawn to exclude the Knesset, the Prime Minister's Office and other Israeli government buildings from the City of Jerusalem. This would allow current buildings used by the Israeli government to remain in Israel, but not Jerusalem. The district in which they are at the moment can become part of a civic district within Israel.

c) the Goverment of Palestine can be in Ramallah, or any other city under the jurisdiction of Palestine.

d) the aim of this change is to create in Jerusalem a place of inter-faith dialogue where people of all faith and none can congregate without fear to engage in religious worship and social interaction to the benefit of all.

e) because Israel has repeatedly re-drawn the boundaries of Jerusalem to include illegal settlements, these settlements would not be part of the City of Jerusalem but be located in Palestine. In accordance with an agreement to be negotiated between Israel and Palestine, a review of settlements would take place with a view to transferring settlers from Palestine to Israel as part of a recognition of Palestinian sovereignty.

This is at least a start in the right direction -what do you think, and what are your alternative proposals?

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    Last edited by Stavros; 05-16-2018 at 03:56 PM.

Senior Member Professional Poster peejaye's Avatar

Stavros; This is a website for Trans-girl admirers, I KNOW there's a section for Politics but don't you sometimes feel you're at a football match but spend the whole 90 minutes of it stood downstairs by the burger van?

I'll be honest, although I take a mild interest in Politics outside the UK I wouldn't know where to start with that lot?
    It didn't seem the best idea to me to relocate the Embassy to Jerusalem! Seemed inevitable what as happened

Senior Member Platinum Poster

I neglected two important aspects of potential reform to take the politics out of Jerusalem and facilitate a new chapter in the peace process. These would mean (to carry on the list in the previous post)-

f) the City of Jerusalem to be run by a council elected by residents of the city, who would vote as Israelis and Palestinians in General Elections on Israel and Palestine. It may be necessary to create a non-confrontational council to avoid either an Israeli or Palestinian dominated council making decisions that favour one community over the other, for example on housing and the water supply.

g) under the agreement first made in 1924 and renewed on a regular basis and, for example, in the Peace Treaty between Israel and Jordan of 1994, the Hashemite Kingdom is Custodian of the Christian and Muslim holy places in Jerusalem. I am not sure if this is justifiable in the long term. It was hugely important for the late King Hussein because it was the last link the Hashemites had with Islam's holy places, a link extending back to the family of Muhammad to whom Hashemites claim to be related. It was also important because Jordan extended its rule across the West Bank in 1948 where Hussein's grandfather Abdullah was murdered in 1951. When Jordan lost the West Bank in 1967 the King summoned the commanding officer in charge and beat him up.
    I think that if there was a peace process that established Jerusalem as an inter-faith city one would have to trust the city Council to administer the holy places with equal respect to Jews, Muslims and Christians.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hashem...lem_holy_sites