Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Junior Poster

Default Re: Sunset and Wein: a tale of old Hollywood

I suspect one of the reasons this is more likely to be prevalent in the film industry is that there are no Protected Characteristics in acting.

It's one of the few (along with modelling) jobs where the hirer can pick you based entirely on wether they like the way you look so their is nothing to stop a Producer or Directer saying "yep, she is perfect for the role in every way. I just don't want her". And that's tuff to regulate

Silver Poster

Quote Originally Posted by broncofan View Post

There were a lot of people complicit in this through their silence and even actively by arranging meetings with Weinstein as you said in his suite, or with him where they would run out in the middle of a meeting leaving him alone with a young actress. I imagine there must be more.
    exactly what authority was anyone going to complain to about harvey's behavior? the cops? the DA? did the victims complain? did his brother?

your fake "it's time this is addressed seriously" is almost as silly as your attempt at trying to understand the gravity of the situation. but good try.

0 out of 1 members liked this post.

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by bluesoul View Post
    exactly what authority was anyone going to complain to about harvey's behavior? the cops? the DA? did the victims complain? did his brother?

your fake "it's time this is addressed seriously" is almost as silly as your attempt at trying to understand the gravity of the situation. but good try.
    The DA did not prosecute a case he should have prosecuted. That's complicity. If his brother knew and did not confront Harvey or bring the matter to the attention of the board that is absolutely complicity. Leaving a meeting at someone's instruction so that person can be alone with a woman to assault her is complicity. The fact that 30 women have come forward is evidence that sexual assault is not being addressed seriously in Hollywood. Nice work defending rape.

Stop trolling my posts you stupid shit.

3 out of 3 members liked this post.
    Last edited by broncofan; 10-18-2017 at 06:34 AM.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Aticus100 View Post
    I suspect one of the reasons this is more likely to be prevalent in the film industry is that there are no Protected Characteristics in acting.
    It's one of the few (along with modelling) jobs where the hirer can pick you based entirely on wether they like the way you look so their is nothing to stop a Producer or Directer saying "yep, she is perfect for the role in every way. I just don't want her". And that's tuff to regulate
    There is also the Non-Disclosure Agreement which I was vaguely aware of before, and an internet search suggests that if someone has been paid off over an accusation or actual sexual harassment they get some money but must sign an NDA preventing them from ever talking about it in public, though how far some NDAs are legal is a matter of dispute. Some, perhaps many celebrities make guests to parties sign NDAs, confiscate their phones for the duration and threaten severe penalties if any details of the party are leaked to the press. Justin Bieber apparently has 'wild' parties he doesn't want you to know about but whatever the issue over privacy might be, the NDA appears to have been an effective tool that has drawn a veil of secrecy over some of the lurid stories that have affected Hollywood probably since the silent era. I have no links but you can do a search on it and find plenty of stuff, and one should also accept that confidentiality clauses make sense in competitive industries and may also apply to actors and staff working on films the production company wants to keep secret before their release.

Gold Poster

did the victims complain?
    Ambra Gutierrez did complain. Not only did she complain but she has Harvey on tape admitting to sexual assault. Since when is an open admission of sexual assault not enough to prosecute? Just exit the conversation.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Silver Poster

you don't seem to comprehend how powerful harvey was- which is exactly why ambra gutierrez's tape didn't help her before (it may now) but harvey had people like peter bart protecting him. he was throwing fundraisers for hillary clinton. he could get a room at cannes when it's fully booked five years in advance. do you even know who peter bart is, or are you just going to google the name and after clueing yourself who he is, pretend you always knew?

and i love how repeating bullet points you read online suddenly makes you think you've know everything there is about this story. and so you the best you can do is "the DA did not prosecute a case he should have prosecuted". no shit sherlock. if you'd bothered to think just a little, or do a little research, then you'd have realized the DA was receiving large sums of money from weistein's former attorney, elkan abramowitz. it also just so happens abramowitz was a partner at the firm the DA used to work at.

but because this is all information you didn't know, you just repeat a headline you read then you add your little moral crap like you would have done anything- and to make yourself feel better, you call me a troll and i should exit the conversation.

oh and LOL at the guy that thinks phone's are confiscated at parties. that's cute. unfortunately we don't still live in the 90s

Senior Member Platinum Poster

oh and LOL at the guy that thinks phone's are confiscated at parties. that's cute. unfortunately we don't still live in the 90s
    I don't know for sure if this happens, it is alleged to be a rule at Justin Bieber's parties which is why I suggested using an internet search engine for more coverage of NDAs some of which is titillating trash but may contain a grain of truth for all I know. And you may or may not know of an incident at a 'pool party' in Las Vegas a few years ago when camera footage of the host, Prince Harry was leaked to the press after his security team were supposed to have confiscated guests phones for the duration of the event.

The rich and powerful, whether it is the Princes of industry, A list Hollywood big-shots or the Mafia, I think you will agree, often use their influence to avoid public embarrassment, even potential legal problems, as happened in New York City when Cyrus Vance Jr successfully prevented the prosecution of Ivanka and Jared Kushner for fraud and larceny with regard to SoHo apartments they were trying to sell, allegedly inflating the price to would-be buyers to give the impression the apartments were selling like crazy and the buyers should seal the deal as soon as possible and part with their cash. But who knows? maybe there was no case to answer.

Gold Poster

you don't seem to comprehend how powerful harvey was- which is exactly why ambra gutierrez's tape didn't help her before (it may now) but harvey had people like peter bart protecting him. he was throwing fundraisers for hillary clinton. he could get a room at cannes when it's fully booked five years in advance. do you even know who peter bart is, or are you just going to google the name and after clueing yourself who he is, pretend you always knew?

and i love how repeating bullet points you read online suddenly makes you think you've know everything there is about this story. and so you the best you can do is "the DA did not prosecute a case he should have prosecuted". no shit sherlock. if you'd bothered to think just a little, or do a little research, then you'd have realized the DA was receiving large sums of money from weistein's former attorney, elkan abramowitz. it also just so happens abramowitz was a partner at the firm the DA used to work at.

but because this is all information you didn't know, you just repeat a headline you read then you add your little moral crap like you would have done anything- and to make yourself feel better, you call me a troll and i should exit the conversation.
    I didn't read a headline or use someone's bullet points but said something you yourself acknowledge is true, which is that there was a culture of complicity. I love that you have done original research to prove my point. And no I did not know who Peter Bart is (nor do I see his special relevance except that you can pretend to have insider knowledge) but knew everything in your second paragraph, which is a piss poor excuse for inaction.

You also have no idea how sexual assault has affected my life which is why it is so unbelievably inappropriate for you to pretend to know what I would have done or what my motives are in expressing concern. You have no clue how out of line you are in this case.

Silver Poster

nobody confiscates a phone at an industry event or party. your phone is put into a magnetic wallet that you cannot open and you keep that. when you leave, you go to the security people to have it unlocked. most events are just too big to have people "hold onto" that many phones not to mention the clusterfuck of all those people trying to get back their phones.

if someone is making people sign NDA's, then it's unlikely those people are in the industry- and since you mentioned the biebz i'd wager those were groupies asked to sign documents. a few years back (maybe 3 or so) a certain choreographer decided to go up against someone in the music industry. i think they had underestimated what he was up against. not long after spilling the beans on said industry guy, he very quickly left the country, retracted his story and his career was done. last i heard, he's still scared to come back.

Silver Poster

Quote Originally Posted by broncofan View Post
    I didn't read a headline or use someone's bullet points but said something you yourself acknowledge is true, which is that there was a culture of complicity. I love that you have done original research to prove my point. And no I did not know who Peter Bart is (nor do I see his special relevance except that you can pretend to have insider knowledge) but knew everything in your second paragraph, which is a piss poor excuse for inaction.

You also have no idea how sexual assault has affected my life which is why it is so unbelievably inappropriate for you to pretend to know what I would have done or what my motives are in expressing concern. You have no clue how out of line you are in this case.
    yawn- first of all i'm not agreeing with you or proving your point dimwit. i'm actually saying everything about your point was incorrect. can't you fucking read?

two: how do you know i wasn't sexually assaulted myself? you know you have no point to make so now you play the victim. story, but just like quantasia sharpton, alleging you've been sexually assaulted does suddenly make it so.

and actually i do know what you would have done and what your motives are. you know how? your history. but that's just typical of you- to try and make this about yourself.