Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    filghy2 Silver Poster

Default Re: White Nationalists March on University of Virginia

Unintentional duplicate - why do they let us edit posts, but not delete them?

Last edited by filghy2; 08-16-2017 at 04:06 AM.

filghy2 Silver Poster

Meanwhile, in the land of make believe, it's all the fault of Obama and George Soros. https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...harlottesville
    How did Trump miss that?

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by filghy2 View Post
    Meanwhile, in the land of make believe, it's all the fault of Obama and George Soros. https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...harlottesville
    How did Trump miss that?
    This is a maddening read. Hard to add anything to that. I can't believe people are so unevolved. These people are real dipshit fucking cretins.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Gold Poster

I wonder how hard these people were to find and whether people who express views like this are openly racist with each other. Can't help but read this article and think we have a much bigger problem. Yuck.

Last edited by broncofan; 08-16-2017 at 05:29 AM.

filghy2 Silver Poster

Interesting article on the timing of construction of these confederate monuments. https://www.vox.com/identities/2017/...derate-statues
    The big peaks were in the early 20th C, when the Jim Crow laws were being put in place in the South, and to a lesser extent in the 1950s and 60s when they were trying to defend these laws against the civil rights movement.

What's all this "alt" crap? Alternative to what? The right? The left? The somewhere in between? Honesty in general? Why can't we just call the Klan/Nazis what they are? Oh, that's right. They're not enemy combatants unless they're in uniform.

Now admittedly, i've been out of touch for a while. But I hadn't seen the term "alt left" before today. Who the hell are they supposed to be? Are they pink? Are they a bunch of spiteful thugs who attack poor defenseless stand-your-grounders for no discernable reason? Boo hoo. They're such meanies. Better tune up the car.

Huh? I don't get it. Does anybody really think that twisted language makes things better? That it justifies being an asshole and doing harm to those who may not agree with somebody's bullshit? I hope an epidemic of rational thought sweeps the country soon.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by hippifried View Post
    What's all this "alt" crap? Alternative to what? The right? The left? The somewhere in between? Honesty in general? Why can't we just call the Klan/Nazis what they are? Oh, that's right. They're not enemy combatants unless they're in uniform.
    Now admittedly, i've been out of touch for a while. But I hadn't seen the term "alt left" before today. Who the hell are they supposed to be? Are they pink? Are they a bunch of spiteful thugs who attack poor defenseless stand-your-grounders for no discernable reason? Boo hoo. They're such meanies. Better tune up the car.
    Huh? I don't get it. Does anybody really think that twisted language makes things better? That it justifies being an asshole and doing harm to those who may not agree with somebody's bullshit? I hope an epidemic of rational thought sweeps the country soon.
    Welcome back, Hippifried, I hope your absence was not due to illness as it once was before, and if it was I hope you are in good shape. The 'alt-right' invented themselves with this moniker, they only have themselves to blame for it.

As for a rational discussion, on this specific event, the First Amendment rights of the Unite the Right rally are not at issue. The organizer, Jospeh Kessler, who blames law enforcement not the 'alt-left' for the breakdown on August 12th, applied for a permit to hold the rally in Emancipation Park where the statue of Robert E. Lee is situated, but Charlottesville wanted it to take place in another park, McIntrye Park so Kessler took the City to court and won his case, on the basis that the whole point of the rally was to protest against the removal of the equestrian statue of Lee -and Kessler was supported in his legal case by the ACLU.

I am not sure if the torchlit procession on the evening of the 11th through the University of Virginia had a permit, but the argument is that a couple of hours before the rally was due to be held on the 12th violent confrontations caused the City to declare a 'state of emergency' and thus shut down the rally, so I guess it could be argued this was a matter of 'public order' rather than a First Amendment issue, which is how Ann Coulter described in on BBC-2's Newsnight the other day, blaming the left for trying to 'shut down debate' and so on.

But the most rational response came from the President himself, who offered his first unscripted and thus honest feelings in New York some hours ago:

“I mean, I know a lot about Charlottesville,” Trump said, walking out of the press conference. “Charlottesville is a great place that's been very badly hurt over the last couple of days. I own, actually, one of the largest wineries in the United States; it's in Charlottesville.”

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...ess-conference

So head off to your nearest liquor store and put more money into his pockets -why else is he President?

Gold Poster

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics...e-documentary/

This is a documentary by vice. It follows a white supremacist through the torch lit rally. It is only 22 minutes but is extremely powerful...watching this puts the President's words in perspective. It's hard to watch and think there are good guys and bad guys equally on both sides.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Gold Poster

I should put a warning with the vice documentary that at about 11 minutes in they show the car running into the crowd. If anyone wants to avoid that I just checked, the scene with the car in the crowd starts at 11 minutes 15 seconds and is over at 15 minutes in. I think it's worth watching even if it's disturbing but that's just my view.

Last edited by broncofan; 08-16-2017 at 08:35 AM.

filghy2 Silver Poster

Quote Originally Posted by broncofan View Post
    This is a documentary by vice. It follows a white supremacist through the torch lit rally. It is only 22 minutes but is extremely powerful...watching this puts the President's words in perspective. It's hard to watch and think there are good guys and bad guys equally on both sides.
    I watched the video and I have no idea how you reached this conclusion. On the one side, we have a bunch of people spouting hateful bigotry and clearly setting out to intimidate and provoke. On the other, we have bunch of people trying to resist this, some of whom (understandably) lost their tempers and may have overreacted at times. Hating people because they do hateful things isn't morally equivalent to hating people simply because of their race or religion.

Also, the video is necessarily only a partial record and seems to have missed the violence instigated by the white nationalists, which has been widely reported elsewhere.