Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Silver Poster

Default Mitch vs The Donald

mitch mcconnell aka the hampster accuses donald trump (the don) of having "excessive expectations" for legislative progress. oh snap!

the don, probably in the middle of the mcdonalds big mac, fires back "i don't think so".

oh- this is good. i hope it gets ugly because i know somewhere in iowa, mike pence is masturbating furiously at the thought of him becoming president anytime soon. and for some weird reason, that is funny in mine mind (though not sure why)

with the whole north korea thing and russia thing and trump's numbers every dwindling, this is pretty fun (?) to watch

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/09/politi...ino/index.html

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...47654431035393

please mitch: fire back. and fire back hard!!!

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Gold Poster

Default Re: Mitch vs The Donald

Quote Originally Posted by bluesoul View Post
    please mitch: fire back. and fire back hard!!!
    It would be entertaining if he did but Mitch has a reputation as a smart guy. If he takes offense at Trump calling him out, he might wait until Trump's more vulnerable and then hurt him. If Mitch went right back at him, he'd have talk radio, rightwing television, alt-right goons, and other thugs all over him. What that could actually do I don't know but nobody wants to deal with that kind of harassment. It is something Mcmaster, Kushner, Priebus, and others have gotten a taste of.

Let's see if Mitch remembers and plays the long game. The fact that Trump hasn't made more enemies like this is testament to the fact that it's hard to hold a grudge when your only concern is party. But if life imitates art, everyone is waiting for the moment when Trump's enemies find it expedient to attack him.

BTW, I think Mitch looks more like a turtle....and given the number of online memes I'm not the only one who thinks it.

Silver Poster

43 years ago today, henry kissinger resigned as secretary of state to the united states. he made it short and sweet too, just like a tweet.

here's hoping we can keep this tradition alive (if only, just once more?)

Last edited by bluesoul; 08-10-2017 at 05:00 AM.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

The key thing I took from this in today's UK newspapers, is that it reveals the President is ignorant, and does not know how Congress works, although I think we knew that anyway. As with Rex Tillerson, another man who can't handle the job, the 'CEO problem' is that in business the CEO issues an order and those beneath him implement it. In the US political system the CEO can say whatever he (or she) wants, but Congress will say 'hmmm... let me think about that...' and often either oppose the President or transform his or her intentions into something else, usually designed to transfer tax payers dollars into their State as intentions become policy.

As for John Kelly, the new master maestro imposing military-style discipline on a chaotic White House, where was he when his President threatened a nuclear war to everyone's surprise and concern? I guess he can discipline everyone except the person most in need of it.

Silver Poster

kelly said the following about the donald:

Trump gets bored with people easily and has a history of blaming aides for his own missteps. Even Kelly may not be immune. One former aide who has fallen from grace suggested it was only a matter of time. But Kelly is clear-eyed about the mission: it is not so much about “fixing” Trump as it is earning the President’s trust so that he can make repairs to White House operations quickly, before an international incident tests the team.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...=.26e3e303b22f

real talk.

also: trump keeps hammering at mitch the snitch. mitch remains mum. why?

here's hoping 'shit' hits the fan

peace

Silver Poster

lol. someone in the don's camp told him to pump the breaks on the attack. mitch still mum. wtf? weekend is coming and we know someone (hint: donald trump- is going golfing) so let's get this going.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...86351529672704

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    The key thing I took from this in today's UK newspapers, is that it reveals the President is ignorant, and does not know how Congress works, although I think we knew that anyway. .
    He should not blame Congress for not passing the bill when it would have been a disaster for them if it passed. He should blame his party, and himself for promising to repeal something when he did not have any better ideas. There are Americans who are very opposed to any social welfare programs, but I can't imagine the average person would thinks it's fair to be bankrupted simply because they get sick. This requires too much lack of foresight even for his supporters.

Mitch simply has no courage and even though Trump is losing popularity people in his party also do not have the necessary courage to challenge him. Mitch is depicted as a shrewd partisan operator, so if he doesn't see any percentage in attacking Trump he won't do it.

Last edited by broncofan; 08-10-2017 at 08:28 PM.

Silver Poster

i'm speaking to someone. and we're talking. and we're not agreeing on what we're talking about. so i say: war is good. war separates us, and tells us where we are. dogs fight. cats fight. monkeys fight. why shouldn't we? are we so great that suddenly we should not disagree?

so let's say we do have a war. then what? do we become savages? i don't know. but let me tell you, i will fuck you up pretty bad buddy. so let's get this thing going.

2020: i'm ready

at the very least, the blast will be

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by broncofan View Post
    He should not blame Congress for not passing the bill when it would have been a disaster for them if it passed. He should blame his party, and himself for promising to repeal something when he did not have any better ideas. There are Americans who are very opposed to any social welfare programs, but I can't imagine the average person would thinks it's fair to be bankrupted simply because they get sick. This requires too much lack of foresight even for his supporters.

Mitch simply has no courage and even though Trump is losing popularity people in his party also do not have the necessary courage to challenge him. Mitch is depicted as a shrewd partisan operator, so if he doesn't see any percentage in attacking Trump he won't do it.
    But Broncofan, the Republicans have had seven years to prepare an alternative health care policy, and had there been a working relationship with the White House the two could have sat down early on in the Presidency to go through it and produce a version bth would support, the only difficulty being objections from Democrats depending on how far the new Bill departed from the old. The key here has always been the relationships in Congress and the relationship between Congress and the President. In the past it was a straight forward battle between White House and Congress, but since 2008 if not before, it has become a struggle for the Republicans to unite and now a 'Republican in name only' President appears to have widened the gap between the Presidency and Congress. For all his boasts about his achievements and his popularity, we could be seeing a Presidential term that in practical terms produces now new laws, and has every executive order challenged in the courts. Assuming this President makes it through the first term. If the Democrats were not so weak and divided themselves, this would all be sweet music to them, as it is, all we hear is a tuneless noise. Rather like the House of Commons when debating Brexit!!

filghy2 Silver Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    But Broncofan, the Republicans have had seven years to prepare an alternative health care policy, and had there been a working relationship with the White House the two could have sat down early on in the Presidency to go through it and produce a version bth would support, the only difficulty being objections from Democrats depending on how far the new Bill departed from the old.
    The problem is that it is logically impossible to do what they claimed they were going to do, which is to maintain or even improve health insurance coverage for those who need it while spending less and allowing healthy people to opt out. I suspect the true position of the Republican leadership is that economic losers should not get health insurance because that reduces their incentive to become winners, as well as requiring the winners to pay more tax. But obviously they know that's not going to be a popular argument.

Trump's role in this has been clueless (who knew health policy was complicated?), but I doubt he could have made much difference given the inherent contradictions. The joke is that he doesn't realize what a bullet he's dodged. Even the most deluded Trump supporters would probably wake up to reality when they lost their health insurance. A smarter person would be happy to let it go and move on to something else.