Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ...

Veteran Poster

I think Allanah could give you the best advice.

If you stand for nothing, you'll fall for anything.

*Out of respect for the women here I've officially retired the 2nd half of my signature*

Junior Poster

Just for interest's sake....what is rent in NYC? i.e. decent 2BR in a decent neighbourhood. Just want to make some comparisons.

Junior Poster

Expensive as hell! In Manhattan, anywhere below 110th St, you're looking at anywhere between $1800-$3000 per month for a small 2 bedroom apartment. Above 110th St, which are primarily Latino and/or Black neighborhoods you're looking at $1500-$2300 per month for a nice 2br in a renovated apartment building, in an upcoming (gentrified) neighborhood. In the outer boroughs (Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island) in so-called nice neighorhoods, you're looking at $1200-$2200 per month. You can find the best bargains in Queens and the Bronx. Some neighborhoods that I think a young, white female would feel comfortable living in are, Queens: Kew Gardens, Forest Hills, Bay Ridge, Astoria, Flushing (mostly Asian, but some whites), Sunnyside, Rego Park, and Woodside. The Bronx: Pelham Bay, Morris Park, and Bedford Park. In these neighborhoods, you can get something nice, in a cozy working class neighborhood for $1200-1500 per month (2 BDRM). An apartment broker can get you an apartment, in a neighborhood that's to your liking with a cheaper rent, but you'll have to pay a month's rent as a broker's fee. One tip: Rent from older private homeowners, who own a two-family home. Some are looking for some extra money since they're on a fixed income and own their home "free and clear". They tend to offer good deals on rent, unlike a professional landlord who owns multiple units and are well aware of what the market will tolerate rentwise. The only negative to this type of situation, is that they live right above or below you and we all know how older people with lots of spare time can be nosey. They also will be at your door like clockwork to collect rent versus living in a large apartment building and mailing your rent to the property owner's management company. If you tend to pay bills late, this might not be the ideal situation for you.

Check out the housing section on http://newyork.craigslist.org to see prices and some pics of apartments, to get an idea before you move. However, be careful with apartment brokers on Craigslist, as some some scam artist have took many people to the cleaners. Make sure they have an office you can actually visit and call the office on their business card, to make sure it's an actual office (not just a voicemail or he/she is the only one who answers the line).

Good Luck!

Party Goddess Platinum Poster AllanahStarrNYC's Avatar

oh angela
    it's a process dear

i can put u in touch with some brokers
    but be prepared to have w2's, proof of work, bank statements, employment letter, and pay stubs.

gettin an apt. in manhattan is definately a process you have to be prepared for. just make sure u girls are prepared and it should be ok.

2008 AVN Transsexual Performer Of The Year
    www.TransexualStarr.com
    www.Facebook.com/AllanahStarr

beatmaker's post was right on. Most all the areas he mentioned in Queens and the Bronx are safe and short subway rides from the city. The attractiveness of actually living in Manhattan is way exaggerated.

Professional Poster

One thing in beatmaker's post: Bay Ridge is in Brooklyn (not Queens), isn't it?

Junior Poster

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by jmt; 04-24-2010 at 04:51 PM.

Party Goddess Platinum Poster AllanahStarrNYC's Avatar

ok i would say florida does have SOME redeeming qualities in the south of florida- but i am not sure sarosota or ft. meyers are exactly nice places to live. central floida is actually quite hideous in my opinion- but hey different stroke for different...........

2008 AVN Transsexual Performer Of The Year
    www.TransexualStarr.com
    www.Facebook.com/AllanahStarr

ok i would say florida does have SOME redeeming qualities in the south of florida-
    The only thing I liked about that state were the hot and cold running lizards and the polydachtyl (Sp?) cats of Key West.

As for NYC, try and find a friend or family member that lives in a rent-controlled apartment. NYC leases (At least they used to) work like a chain letter: New tenant adds name to bottom of list, as old tenants/rommies move out, name moves to top of list, etc. As long as one of the "original" tenants occupies the flat, the rent can't be increased by more than certain percentage of the previous year's lease.

I knew people in a fairly nice Brooklyn neighborhood that were paying about $500 a month for an enormous apartment while their immediate neighbors were paying close to $2500 for the same floorplan. It's why landlords hate rent control.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

Junior Poster

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by jmt; 04-24-2010 at 04:51 PM.