Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Student group apologizes for playing TAKE A WALK ON THE WILD SIDE

I don't know what's going on here https://heatst.com/culture-wars/stud...lou-reed-song/

A tranny friend of mine even told me she's got no problems with that song that everybody must heard a million times already. In fact Lou Reed's producer said it was meant to be a love song. Lou happened to be fond of trannies too.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Cynical Idealist 5 Star Poster Fitzcarraldo's Avatar

Default Re: Student group apologizes for playing TAKE A WALK ON THE WILD SIDE

It was a Canadian student group. Canadians apologize for everything.

3 out of 3 members liked this post.
    "We can't seem to cure them of the idea that our everyday life is only an illusion, behind which lies the reality of dreams."--Old Missionary, Fitzcarraldo

Senior Member Platinum Poster nysprod's Avatar

I can understand how the lyrics might be perceived to fetishize transgender people by suggesting they are “wild,” “unusual” or “unnatural,” but this was a a very different time in a very different NYC.

This was the post-hippie pre-disco pre-punk era of Bowie and bisexuality and Max's Kansas City, when one of Warhol's Velvets was going thru a very brief period of Factory induced transformation. Alternative sexuality was cool downtown.

Anyway, "media is not always consumed in the ways that it was intended" has to be the brilliantly ironic manifesto of today, given the current circumstances.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.
    Last edited by nysprod; 05-22-2017 at 07:37 AM.
    Phone keys gum condoms lube...I don’t want to be normal.

Quote Originally Posted by nysprod View Post
    I can understand how the lyrics might be perceived to fetishize transgender people by suggesting they are “wild,” “unusual” or “unnatural,” but this was a a very different time in a very different NYC.
    Crazy thing about it is you'd think that people would be more offended by the lyrics then than they are now? But than again this is just the case of one group who wasn't walking or breathing back in the 70's or it's all new to them.

Sno -flakes

Quote Originally Posted by dakota87 View Post
    Sno -flakes
    Since I've already had right wingers label me as a snowflake, I'd be offended by it too then. While I never had any problems with it. In fact my fave Lou Reed tune is when he was with the Velvet Underground and did a song named Sister Ray.

PCers & SJWs have fuck this world up completely

4 out of 5 members liked this post.

Senior Member Platinum Poster nysprod's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bad dog View Post
    Crazy thing about it is you'd think that people would be more offended by the lyrics then than they are now? But than again this is just the case of one group who wasn't walking or breathing back in the 70's or it's all new to them.
    Possibly. Is that you in your avatar? If it is, you're very hot lol

Phone keys gum condoms lube...I don’t want to be normal.

Senior Member Veteran Poster

I don't know whose comes off worse in this story, the student group for apologizing or the people who were supposedly offended by the song.

3 out of 3 members liked this post.

Professional Poster lifeisfiction's Avatar

People don't know the past. It still blows my mind how much time has past. I was talking to someone about the Matrix to only realize the movie is 18 years old. As time progresses people for get why and what was the circumstances of things in the past. I just see our society today split into varying beliefs with very little done to understand each other. It's the age of my way or the highway. Of course, give it 10 more years and society will change again. I guess I'm getting old.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.
    Last edited by lifeisfiction; 05-22-2017 at 07:47 PM.