Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Member Junior Poster

Default Gene editing strategy eliminates HIV-1 infection in live animals

Just read about this, although HIV is pretty difficult to transmit its something that most of us all fear and hopefully get tested for regularly. do you guys think a Hiv cure would change sexual behaviours in anyway?

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0501112514.htm

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Transexual Princess Junior Poster KelliBlueEyes's Avatar

Default Re: Gene editing strategy eliminates HIV-1 infection in live animals

I am often pleasantly surprised by the news that gets shared on this site. Thank you so much for sharing this.

Probably trans attracted men are not aware that according to the CDC 22% (or approximately 1 in 5) trans women are statistically HIV-positive. They site many reasons for this.

https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/group/gender/transgender/

Maybe things are different among other subcultures here in the United States, but the CDC claims higher rates of infection among certain groups, and in the south.

To me it seems like condom use is pretty prevalent, and testing widespread at least here in the north east. For example, I get tested for all STI's every month with the labs for my hormones, it's easy and convenient to do this.

Hopefully drug companies will be motivated, even if by their intention to profit, to find a cure for this disease.

3 out of 3 members liked this post.
    Snap: Kelliblueeyesx

Http://Kelliblueeyes.tumblr.com

@KelliBlue@switter.at

Quote Originally Posted by natina View Post
    its great to see CRISPR/CAS9 is taking gene editing by storm going from a concept to actually clearing latency in animals, seems they are conducting preclinical trials for cancer causing HPV/hep/ and prob the most common hsv1/hsv2 said to be a 6 billion dollar market if it works. great news for us all if it means we can play safer.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Senior Member Platinum Poster nysprod's Avatar

This is years and perhaps even decades away from being used in humans, if it ever happens.

Phone keys gum condoms lube...I don’t want to be normal.

Professional Poster lifeisfiction's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nysprod View Post
    This is years and perhaps even decades away from being used in humans, if it ever happens.
    Yep, it is difficult to replicate results in animals. On many occasions they have cured disease in animals, but the toxicity is too and high and dangerous for humans (not for animals surprisingly) or other various reasons. I always look at the phase I and phase II results as good indicator of a treatment's potential. Hopefully, with some of the research I read they're getting closer to finding out how to flush HIV out form hiding. If they can do that, they could kill it off. Its penchant for hiding in all parts of the body makes it difficult to fully eliminate.

i figured it may be a while before human trials, there was mention of more animal trials in the papers. Decades from human trials is unrealistic, China already used CRISPR in human trial October 2016 for a lung cancer treatment. future treatments will go through less hurdles to test. A biomedical duel is currently in progress between China and the United States, which is important since competition usually improves the end product and their is also an element of urgency given these solutions are worth multi billion dollar per product....everyone wants a piece of that cake. a preventive vaccine may beat them to it. best of luck to them i hope they solve the issue and help those who carry any burden of disease.

Professional Poster lifeisfiction's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jesi_j View Post
    i figured it may be a while before human trials, there was mention of more animal trials in the papers. Decades from human trials is unrealistic, China already used CRISPR in human trial October 2016 for a lung cancer treatment. future treatments will go through less hurdles to test. A biomedical duel is currently in progress between China and the United States, which is important since competition usually improves the end product and their is also an element of urgency given these solutions are worth multi billion dollar per product....everyone wants a piece of that cake. a preventive vaccine may beat them to it. best of luck to them i hope they solve the issue and help those who carry any burden of disease.
    China does not adhere to legal ethics in the biomedical field as the may other countries rigorously do. In fact, there are numerous reports of their willingness to overlook certain medical protocols in pursuit of medical advancement. Furthermore, China has and continues the practice of organ harvesting from prisoners, particularly prisoners of conscience. Such practices provides information in violation of human rights and disregards safety protocols capable of protecting and promoting proper scientific methodologies While some hope that under President Xi many of these practices will change from former President Zimen. I see his actions as a way to solidify his control over the communist party and to remove his predecessors remaining faction (President Xi's crackdown on corruption campaign removing former Zimen supporters) and the masking/crude patching of China's turbulent stock market provides some grounds to doubt the full medical advancements some Chinese (under the guise of the Chinese government) companies are claiming. That's just my opinion.

Post Re: Gene editing strategy eliminates HIV-1 infection in live animals

editing the genome to remove aids and cancer

Pitting the weaponry of a bacterium against the cunning of a virus

http://www.dailymaverick.co.za/artic...crispr-vs-hiv-

pitting-the-weaponry-of-a-bacterium-against-the-cunning-of-a-virus/

Editing HIV out of our genome with CRISPR
    UMMS scientists seek ways to use powerful gene editing tool to excise latent HIV virus.

http://www.umassmed.edu/news/news-ar...e-with-crispr/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/editing

the genome to remove aids and cancer

Pitting the weaponry of a bacterium against the cunning of a virus

http://www.dailymaverick.co.za/artic...crispr-vs-hiv-

pitting-the-weaponry-of-a-bacterium-against-the-cunning-of-a-virus/

Editing HIV out of our genome with CRISPR
    UMMS scientists seek ways to use powerful gene editing tool to excise latent HIV virus.

http://www.umassmed.edu/news/news-ar...e-with-crispr/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CRISPR

Member Rookie Poster

Hiv has never been proven to exist

1 out of 5 members liked this post.