Thread: Yellow Vests.

Eurotrash! Platinum Poster Jericho's Avatar

Default Yellow Vests.

Granted, I might have missed it, but I haven't seen the french "yellow vest" riots in Paris mentioned on here.
    What sort of coverage are they getting in the states on the news?
    Over here, they're never mentioned, which given they are regular riots in a major European City quite strange.

I hate being bipolar...It's fucking ace!

Gold Poster

Default Re: Yellow Vests.

Quote Originally Posted by Jericho View Post
    Granted, I might have missed it, but I haven't seen the french "yellow vest" riots in Paris mentioned on here.
    What sort of coverage are they getting in the states on the news?
    Over here, they're never mentioned, which given they are regular riots in a major European City quite strange.
    I've seen two articles about it in the last week in the New York Times but I've been watching the impeachment hearings which are very long. It's not getting a ton of coverage but it seems a reasonable amount.

Gold Poster

I'm not sure you're heading in this direction but this is a nightmare dialogue I imagined. I mean it only as a joke:
    Our message is suppressed.
    Okay, why not tell us your message?
    Because it's been suppressed up til now.
    But here's a chance to talk about it.
    You want to ignore the fact there's been a media blackout about our message?
    No I want to talk about what's been suppressed. What's the forbidden knowledge people are afraid of?
    I see, and ignore how we were silenced? Doesn't the fact we were silenced tell you everything?
    I'm not even fucking sure you were. WHAT IS THE MESSAGE?????
    You will not intimidate me with all caps. Fascists OUT.

filghy2 Silver Poster

I think any story is subject to declining media attention if the same thing continues for a long time without any significant change. The same thing has happened with the riots in Hong Kong.

Diminishing returns and all that, but we still hear about the old colony nearly everynight.
    Riots in Paris. Police fighting the firebrigade. And nothing, not even an endnote from the BBC.
    It's getting to the point where I switch on the news and I'm embarrassed for them.

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Jericho View Post
    Diminishing returns and all that, but we still hear about the old colony nearly everynight.
    Riots in Paris. Police fighting the firebrigade. And nothing, not even an endnote from the BBC.
    It's getting to the point where I switch on the news and I'm embarrassed for them.
    It's not just diminishing returns but if you are reporting a protest that has been going on for 75 to 80 weeks, you run out of things to write about it. Yes there have been fatalities, but some were from automobiles, and there was also a heart attack. Often foreign protests don't get a lot of international coverage unless the government is killing people or there's the potential for a coup. The police fighting the firebrigade is the exact flash point that generates coverage. The New York Times articles talked about how police should stop using tear gas canisters.

I guess my question is if you had to write the news article informing the public about them, what would it say? And if it is something that could have been said 10 or 20 weeks ago, what would be the purpose of the article?

When I go to the google news section and search the bbc articles in the last 10 months I found 14 or 15 articles about the yellow vests just on the first three pages. They're not pr people for the yellow vests. They're not their press agents. There's been a steady trickle, but not a broadcasting of their every thought.

Last edited by broncofan; 01-29-2020 at 09:07 PM.

Hmm, if I was writing it?
    "and yet another weekend of riots in Paris"
    At least it would be 'something' from the national public broadcasting service.
    As for searching, that's great...if you're on line.

Quote Originally Posted by broncofan View Post
    It's not just diminishing returns but if you are reporting a protest that has been going on for 75 to 80 weeks, you run out of things to write about it. Yes there have been fatalities, but some were from automobiles, and there was also a heart attack. Often foreign protests don't get a lot of international coverage unless the government is killing people or there's the potential for a coup. The police fighting the firebrigade is the exact flash point that generates coverage. The New York Times articles talked about how police should stop using tear gas canisters.

I guess my question is if you had to write the news article informing the public about them, what would it say? And if it is something that could have been said 10 or 20 weeks ago, what would be the purpose of the article?

When I go to the google news section and search the bbc articles in the last 10 months I found 14 or 15 articles about the yellow vests just on the first three pages. They're not pr people for the yellow vests. They're not their press agents. There's been a steady trickle, but not a broadcasting of their every thought.

filghy2 Silver Poster

The other thing about the yellow vests is that they seem to be a real mixed bag, lacking coherent objectives other than disrupting the status quo. Reminds me of Marlon Brando's famous line in The Wild Ones:
    Q: "What are you rebelling against?"
    A: "What have you got?"