Senior Member Gold Poster holzz's Avatar

Default what's this about Mayweather and McGregor having boxing and MMA fights?

MMA seems intriguing, but i don't really get it, people are saying this prospective fight will be the biggest pay for view ever, but then I think McGregor would win both.

0 out of 2 members liked this post.

Gold Poster

Default Re: what's this about Mayweather and McGregor having boxing and MMA fights?

I never saw this thread until now. I've watched MMA and boxing for years. I hope this fight never happens. I'm not a cynic as I think Mcgregor, who is a good puncher, could fight a mid-level guy in boxing and possibly do okay. But he would get absolutely destroyed by Mayweather in boxing. Mayweather has beaten De La Hoya, Cotto, Corrales, Pacquiao, Mosley, Hatton and every other guy he's fought.

Great boxers go rounds without being able to lay a glove on Mayweather. I've seen footage of Mcgregor sparring in boxing. He's okay. But he doesn't sit down on his punches because he's used to four ounce gloves. He'd get killed. If he wants to make the transition to boxing he should fight a blown up junior welterweight who's top ten-ish, not Mayweather.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Gold Poster

Default Re: what's this about Mayweather and McGregor having boxing and MMA fights?

The fight is now being made. It's going to take place August 26th. I can't see Mcgregor winning unless Floyd is completely finished as a fighter.

Think Floyd will stop him somewhere in the middle of the fight. Mcgregor looks okay for three rounds and then falls off and starts taking shots about four rounds in. My prediction but anything can happen.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Senior Member Junior Poster

Fairweather will obviously win, the same as Connor would win in the mma.. but this is all about generating $$$

Senior Member Gold Poster Laphroaig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by broncofan View Post
    The fight is now being made. It's going to take place August 26th. I can't see Mcgregor winning unless Floyd is completely finished as a fighter.

Think Floyd will stop him somewhere in the middle of the fight. Mcgregor looks okay for three rounds and then falls off and starts taking shots about four rounds in. My prediction but anything can happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by tacocorpv2 View Post
    Fairweather will obviously win, the same as Connor would win in the mma.. but this is all about generating $$$
    I know less than nothing about boxing, but all the experts are saying the same thing, McGregor will get his arse handed to him on a plate by Mayweather. Experts have been known to get it wrong though. Not the best comparison, but virtually every pundit had Chelsea to beat Arsenal in the FA cup and look how that turned out.

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Laphroaig View Post
    I know less than nothing about boxing, but all the experts are saying the same thing, McGregor will get his arse handed to him on a plate by Mayweather. Experts have been known to get it wrong though. Not the best comparison, but virtually every pundit had Chelsea to beat Arsenal in the FA cup and look how that turned out.
    I watch both sports pretty compulsively. I like Mcgregor and think he's talented. It's just that the sports are different enough that it's tough to imagine his skill-set crossing over. He's gonna be wearing 10 oz gloves against Mayweather rather than the 4 oz gloves he usually wears. There's also the fact that Mayweather is not just good, he rarely ever gets hit cleanly.

When Floyd fought Pacquiao, Manny landed 19% of his punches. Manny's average is probably between 40 and 50 percent. When Floyd does get hit by something hard, like he was against Mosley, Judah, or Corley he's able to survive and protect his dome with his big gloves. It's not like MMA where if you get hurt, you can't seek respite on the canvas....a crafty guy can survive. I don't have much trouble seeing Mcgregor wobble Floyd, but I do have difficulty seeing him finish Floyd off.

But I hate that experts in sport pretend there's certainty. When they're right they look good and when they're wrong they can just shrug it off. Southpaws do land from time to time against Floyd and Mcgregor hits hard. Would be amazing to see Mcgregor win, and I bet he shows up well prepared and with a game plan. I'll watch.

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by broncofan View Post
    He's gonna be wearing 10 oz gloves against Mayweather rather than the 4 oz gloves he usually wears.
    BTW, would have loved to see this under boxing rules, but with mma gloves. To me that would have been a really interesting compromise. Of course Floyd would never agree to that, even if you take away the grappling and the kicking and place him in a shootout with 4 oz gloves.

One clean shot, even by an average puncher can completely ice someone with the little gloves. In boxing you will occasionally see fights where you just know there's not gonna be a knockout.