Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: 2016 - worst year ever?

Welcome back , glad you are well.
    Loved the "99 reasons to be cheerful" some interesting things there.
    I would add that it has been an interesting year in science , some of which was mentioned in the "99 reasons" above .
    Also , the new ebola vaccine is successful.
    http://www.nature.com/news/2016-in-n...e-year-1.21159

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/...ne-results/en/

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Quote Originally Posted by sukumvit boy View Post
    Where is Stavros on this forum ? Miss his input the last few weeks, hope he is OK.
    Back to the topic , the official "word of the Year " for 2016 is "Surreal". That says a lot.
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/word...-words-surreal
    The "word of the year " for 2017 is complicit

http://www.dictionary.com/e/word-of-the-year-2017/

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by sukumvit boy View Post
    The "word of the year " for 2017 is complicit
    My word of the year would be 'tired' as in, tired of being subjected to the latest squeal from the attention-deficit President who turns every situation, domestic or international into the latest segment of the ME show.
    Tired of 'fake news' that is real and real news that is fake, as if we adults do not know the difference. Tired of the feeble attempts made by people who should know better to defend the persistent attacks on democracy that could have the long term effect of undermining the confidence of a generation in the flawed but most equitable and just means of government.

But, again, if you turn away from politics to science and technology, major advances in 2017 have been made to eradicate Guinea Worm Disease (mostly in Africa); Polio is in what we hope is now terminal decline; some advances have been made in the treatment of spinal injuries and Alzheimer's which could have long term positive outcomes from sufferer's of those illnesses; and nuclear fusion could be a decade or two closer to proving all of us with cheap energy. These and others are in the link below, though I am not sure about 'Hyperloops' as the next big thing in transport, as I don't see where the money will come from to pay for it.

Finally be aware that the link has the word 'science' in it, as among other things in 2017 that was very not good is the continuing attempt to claim science is bullshit, from those who deny the valid arguments in the science of climate change, to those Russians leading a campaign against the science that is explaining -or trying to explain- the shocking numbers of Russians falling victim to HIV/AIDS -an increase of 149% in the last ten years, on the basis that HIV is 'the greatest myth of the 20th century'.

But first the positives:
    https://www.sciencealert.com/15-real...orld-right-now

Then the Russians-
    https://arstechnica.com/science/2017...now-exploding/

2 out of 2 members liked this post.
    Last edited by Stavros; 12-04-2017 at 12:07 PM.

your fantasy Veteran Poster Ts RedVeX's Avatar

I am looking forward to scientists developing a cure for communism other than the old Generanol Pinochetate.

REDVEX's KINGDOM

Arrange an appointment via adultwork.com (please call beforehand to see if I am free at the desired time)

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Scientists study, explain and quantify natural phenomena. Engineers, and medical researchers apply accepted scientific principles to solve practical problems. Medical researchers in particular and medical doctors are primarily concerned with prevention, cure and treatment of diseases and malfunctions of the human body.

Communism isn’t that kind of disease. According to Saint Ayn Rand, “Selfishness is a Virtue.” A corollary of her teaching is communism is a Sin - you know - like homosexuality and gender dysphoria. You don’t need a scientist to cure communism, you need a Prosperity Evangelical.

3 out of 3 members liked this post.
    "...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

your fantasy Veteran Poster Ts RedVeX's Avatar

Well, they ain't coming through the means of democracy are they?

Communism is like a cancerous tumour. It has to be removed whole, otherwise it grows back and spreads.

As for passing judgement on one's sins - leave that to God, would you?

Last edited by Ts RedVeX; 12-04-2017 at 05:54 PM.
    REDVEX's KINGDOM

Arrange an appointment via adultwork.com (please call beforehand to see if I am free at the desired time)

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

As for passing judgement on one's sins - leave that to God, would you?
    I am, I leaving it to God and you Prosperity Evangelicals to both judge and remove the tumor of communism, stamp out the rash of democracy and then enthrone the most beneficent, fairy-tale monarch the Earth has ever seen.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.
    "...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Senior Member Silver Poster

These posts prove to me once again that the year is only the year as seen through each individual's eyes, for me this has been the worst year since I lost my health, my job, and my house.
    In the Political Year it's sadly funny that the only imperative the Republicans have seen necessary to act on is to slash corporate tax rates in half, and ensure that they are not only unpunished for the gross amount of money they've stolen throughout the years, their kids won't be taxed on it either. But on the bright side, only half of them would welcome a child molester to their Senate.

For Redvex, two stories I might have told before, second hand stories not bound by facts:
    1) The Government once conducted a study to find out what makes people happy, so they could figure out the most effective way to dispense taxes to do the most good.
    After several long months and several several millions of dollars, they discovered that it is money makes that people happy.
    2) When Bernie Sanders was Mayor of Burlington, Vt. half his phone calls were complaints from the Burlington Branch of the Republican Party, crying foul over his communistic ways. When they called to complain that their street hadn't been plowed after a big snowstorm, he told them he couldn't do that because that would be communistic.

In the Religious year, I'm reminded of a thought by Sherlock Holmes
    "There's almost no mystery that sleep can't solve"
    or something like that.

3 out of 3 members liked this post.
    World Class Asshole

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by buttslinger View Post
    These posts prove to me once again that the year is only the year as seen through each individual's eyes, for me this has been the worst year since I lost my health, my job, and my house.
    In the Political Year it's sadly funny that the only imperative the Republicans have seen necessary to act on is to slash corporate tax rates in half, and ensure that they are not only unpunished for the gross amount of money they've stolen throughout the years, their kids won't be taxed on it either. But on the bright side, only half of them would welcome a child molester to their Senate.

For Redvex, two stories I might have told before, second hand stories not bound by facts:
    1) The Government once conducted a study to find out what makes people happy, so they could figure out the most effective way to dispense taxes to do the most good.
    After several long months and several several millions of dollars, they discovered that it is money makes that people happy.
    2) When Bernie Sanders was Mayor of Burlington, Vt. half his phone calls were complaints from the Burlington Branch of the Republican Party, crying foul over his communistic ways. When they called to complain that their street hadn't been plowed after a big snowstorm, he told them he couldn't do that because that would be communistic.

In the Religious year, I'm reminded of a thought by Sherlock Holmes
    "There's almost no mystery that sleep can't solve"
    or something like that.
    I have liked your post for the first two paragraphs and even the interesting bullet point about Bernie Sanders which I want to fact check..not that I'm doubting you but I'm not even sure that's an ethical way to make a point. But where does Sherlock Holmes come into this? Was he a red? A redvex? I'm gonna sleep on it.

Edit: I should probably say I am sorry your year has been so rough. The things you compare it to are pretty tough. Hope 2018 is better...not that we should give up on December!

Last edited by broncofan; 12-04-2017 at 09:32 PM.

Jeez , buttslinger , hope things start turning around for you . Hang in there !