Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Senior Member Gold Poster holzz's Avatar

Default 2016 - worst year ever?

haha...no.

plenty of celebrity deaths happen all the time.

and plenty of wars.

and Trump got elected, so what? it's called democracy, it's what it is.

I don't see how this year is any worse than any other year in recorded or non-recorded history? people need to settle down, and be less hyperbolic.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Verified account Silver Poster Ben in LA's Avatar

Default Re: 2016 - worst year ever?

"Democracy"

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

2016 saw a rise in employment and in the number of people insured. Health care alone added 28000 jobs over the past year. What worries me is the next four years.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    "...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Senior Member Gold Poster holzz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ben in LA View Post
    "Democracy"
    yep. Trump won.

Senior Member Veteran Poster

I don't believe in hyperbole, so I wouldn't call 2016 the worst year ever.

Now were there individual events that you could say were the worst ever? Definitely. Results aside, I think its safe to say that the 2016 U.S. presidential election wasn't one of this country's brightest moments.

I also happen to think that if you compiled songs from all the musicians who died this year, you could make a pretty damn good soundtrack.

I will say this though. There is a level of uncertainty that I don't think we have seen for quite some time. Both here and abroad. So only time will tell what the impact of some of the events that took place this in 2016 year will be.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Quote Originally Posted by holzz View Post
    yep. Trump won.
    By negative two point nine million votes and with a heavy Russian cyber-thumb on the scale. That's a funny kind of electoral democracy.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    By negative two point nine million votes and with a heavy Russian cyber-thumb on the scale. That's a funny kind of electoral democracy.
    We live under a republic, not strictly a democracy.
    Trump campaign focused on winning the electoral college vote and won handily.
    The mainstream media did whatever they could to help Hillary, you don't seem to have problem with that thumb on the scale.

0 out of 1 members liked this post.

Wrong. The mainstream media was preoccupied with trying to appear unbiased and over applied a false notion of equivalency.

Now Trump tells us the Russians had no effect on the election even though at the time he thought the wikileaks were so advantageous to him that he played them up at every opportunity.
    Don't get me wrong. I recognize Trump as the legitimate president. That's more than he and any other birther granted Obama.

I agree reed we live in a democratic republic. Thanks to our somewhat bizarre electoral system Trump won by negative two point nine million popular votes.

3 out of 3 members liked this post.
    Last edited by trish; 01-09-2017 at 05:01 AM.

Where is Stavros on this forum ? Miss his input the last few weeks, hope he is OK.
    Back to the topic , the official "word of the Year " for 2016 is "Surreal". That says a lot.
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/word...-words-surreal

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by sukumvit boy View Post
    Where is Stavros on this forum ? Miss his input the last few weeks, hope he is OK.
    Back to the topic , the official "word of the Year " for 2016 is "Surreal". That says a lot.
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/word...-words-surreal
    Stavros was away for Christmas and the New Year, simple as that. I wish I could say it was worth the effort, as I did not go far but was not tuned in to the internet as I usually am, and there is no harm in that.

As for 2016 it depends on the indicators. In the link below you will find 99 positive indicators from 2016 of which the 60% decline in deaths from Malaria must be an outstanding statistic given the historic persistence of this horrible disease. There is also the claim that Denmark has become the first country not to define being Transgendered as a mental illness. And, pace the comment by Holzz above, less than a 6th of the world's population is now engaged in war (#60 in the list). Not included is the nuclear deal with Iran, which may be of long term significance, but only time will tell.

And it remains to be seen if it actually matters globally if President Trump annuls the US signature to the Paris Agreement on Climate Change, as I can see most of the rest of the world carrying on regardless, notably China because urban pollution has reached levels that have to be addressed in practical terms.

Reasons to be cheerful-
    https://medium.com/future-crunch/99-...823#.1q2xg4nv6