Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jump the Shark

Platinum Poster JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel's Avatar

Default .................................................

Lucy Liu

thought she was hot beyond belief, and the fact that she was a Queens girl was even hotter, but then she goes overboard and says she's never date Asian during an interview...................

just a bad choice of words from someone who probably had a HUGE Asian fanbase up until that point

snɯıʇdo snʇoʇ soʌ oloʌ

Junior Poster

Wu-tang, jumped the shark sometime around 98 or 2000. I'd still hit up a concert if they came around, long as it isnt a promotional tour.

5 Star Poster

Sting. The Police were great. He's always been a pretentious guy, but that was part of him. Then, he lost it, after having more money than anyone would ever need. Pick your moment, but I heard he did a tune with a boy band, did a Jaguar ad purely because his latest 'adult contemporary' album was flopping (the video for Desert Rose was pure camp - passionate wailing middle east guy here, rad turntablist bent over his decks there - you know, the kids dig that rave shit now! Even though no part of the song has a guy beatmatching or scratching.) Andy Summers said he first became aware that 'Every Breath You Take' had been turned into a shitty Tupac tribute or whatever it was by seeing it on tv. Remove his guitar, and you've got a four-note ditty rhyming take, make, break, and fake. But Andy didn't get a dime from it, except for performance royalties. I'm in the business, and see it all the time. The singer writes a melody with four chords, in the studio, the musicians suggest some changes to alleviate the monotony, the singfer says, "Thanks, man!", and gets all the writer's royalties. This has gotten pretty damn long. Basically, I hate it when formerly great artists who can afford to take chances lose their edge and drag down the state of music.

Junior Poster

So true Suckseed. Keeping it in the music mode, Eric Clapton with "Lay Down Sally". With the Yardbirds, John Mayall and even Cream, every note he played was informed by some emotion. Then this 3 chord, twangy Statocaster, pseudo country crap., PLEASE. I guess that giving up heroin was good for the body, bad for the body of work. ( By the way, apologies to the younger people here who must consider this in the same category as a discussion of 15th cenury Italian politics.)

Junior Poster

So true Suckseed. Keeping it in the music mode, Eric Clapton with "Lay Down Sally". With the Yardbirds, John Mayall and even Cream, every note he played was informed by some emotion. Then this 3 chord, twangy Statocaster, pseudo country crap., PLEASE. I guess that giving up heroin was good for the body, bad for the body of work. ( By the way, apologies to the younger people here who must consider this in the same category as a discussion of 15th cenury Italian politics.)

Default Re: Jump the Shark

Quote Originally Posted by Arianna
    Name someone or something that was once at least acceptable to your tastes ...

...but somewhere along the way, they lost you.

I'll start w/ Mel Gibson. Some would say that he jumped the shark with the Jesus movie; some would say it was his shitfaced statements about the Jews; others, when he did the crossdressing movie.

Well, I thought he was just super fucking HOT in Mad Max, and also in "Road Warrior". Both were pretty entertaining too imho.

But "The Year of Living Dangerously"? That movie just DRAGS! And if he never made those other corny movies w/ Danny Glover, his career would have ended years ago.

Eventually, I would like to see Braveheart. But I'm in no hurry.
    Actually you passed up his greatest movie.If you're only gonna see one Mel Gibson movie,"Braveheart" is the one...."Braveheart" is an absolute classic,and while Mel does takea few liberties with some historical facts along the way,it is still one of my all-time fav movies.

Back to the topic...Nic Cage in "National Treasure" comes to mind,and while he has probably jumped a few sharks prior,his performance in Leaving Las Vegas was stellar...so what happened Nic?!

DJ Asia

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by suckseed
    Andy Summers said he first became aware that 'Every Breath You Take' had been turned into a shitty Tupac tribute or whatever it was by seeing it on tv.
    it was a biggie tribute, and while biggie was definitely ill, that tribute was fucking terrible

Gold Poster

Isaac hayes until he join those religious nutcases of bizzaro world and just quit south park its just laughable that they have made fun of christains before and he didn't have a problem with that but one scientology episode and he goes crazy.

For me, it's Hollywood in general:

1. Too few good movies.
    2. Too few good actors.
    3. Too many pointless remakes.
    4. Too much preachy bullshit across the spectrum.

-Quinn

Life is essentially one long Benny Hill skit punctuated by the occasional Anne Frank moment.

Definately Arnold Schwarznegger.

He once was in my group of childhood badasses (i.e. Bruce Lee, Sly Stallone, Mr.T). Now that he is the governor of my state, I can't stand the man. Most of the public feels the same.

Atleast Clint is still the man.