Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Member Gold Poster Laphroaig's Avatar

Default Re: Andy Murray - World Number One!

In terms of Grand Slam titles won, Andy Murray has been "unfortunate" to play in the same era as Federer/Djokovic/Nadal in their prime. Three men who would almost certainly make any list of tennis top 10 greatest players. Earlier in his career he would often win a hard fought match against one in a quarter or semi-final, only to lose to another in the final. Whether that failure to get over the final hurdle was down to a lack of stamina or mental strength at the time can be argued.

However, playing against those greats has probably helped lift him to the heights he has now achieved and with the two Olympic gold medals, he has something that the other three don't and will never have. For that alone, even without the Grand Slam victories, he deserves a place in the hall of fame.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Laphroaig View Post
    However, playing against those greats has probably helped lift him to the heights he has now achieved and with the two Olympic gold medals, he has something that the other three don't and will never have. For that alone, even without the Grand Slam victories, he deserves a place in the hall of fame.
    Thanks for that. I forgot about that entirely. The Olympics are very important...what made Graf's 1988 season so special was the fact that her slam was "golden". He should be a lock for the hall of fame. And he's not done.

In my view, Murray's career is as impressive as Edberg and Becker, who each won six slams and were world number one for a period. I don't say this lightly because I was an Edberg fanatic growing up. But Edberg could be very inconsistent, and neither he nor Becker dealt with anything close to Murray's level of competition. They came up at the end of the McEnroe Lendl era, and had won a handful of slams before Agassi and Sampras hit their stride. McEnroe was done by the late 80's despite not being very old and Lendl for some reason couldn't get it together on grass.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Senior Member Gold Poster Laphroaig's Avatar

I'll admit that I'm firmly in the camp that believes tennis along with golf, football, etc has no place in the Olympics. However, the effect of winning that first Olympic title had on Murray can't be underestimated. It gave him the belief that he could win a "major" final and without it he may not have gone on to win the 3 Grand Slam titles that he has.

I started watching tennis around the era of the Becker/Edberg Wimbledon finals. From memory and without resorting to Wikipedia, I think those ended 2-1 to Becker in terms of victories?