Page 5 of 85 FirstFirst 123456789101555 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Platinum Poster

Default Re: Donald Trump Presidency-Day One

The bleak news is that it appears Breitbart is being presented as a legitimate 'news' website, when it is propaganda that regularly takes news items whose facts can be verified, and turns them inside out with the 'post-truth' tactic that makes everything an opinion -other than their own argument. In the summer of 2015 for example, Breitbart produced more than one article on the shocking photo of three-year old Aylan Kurdi lying dead on a Turkish beach and used it to point out how 'odd' it was that this one photo had changed the debate on Syrian refugees -the answer being that it was staged, that the 'facts' about Aylan Kurdi and his father were the opposite of what the 'liberal' media had said and it was Breitbart that alone had the truth to hand. Just last week President Asad said the footage of the small boy rescued from a building bombed to rubble, placed in the back of an ambulance with blood on his head and bewildered look on his face was anti-Syrian propaganda staged for the media.

Another example is the extent to which Pamela Geller (who has been denied entry into the UK for her extreme views) has exploited an incident in Twin Falls, Idaho earlier this year in which she claims Muslim immigrants raped a five year old at knifepoint, even though the truth is there was no knife and there was no rape. No matter, Muslim immigrants are only in the USA to rape and murder, and that is the only 'truth' Ms Geller wants her fellow Americans to know.

But that is not all. The Trump campaign has capitalised on the disaffection with both Democrats and Republicans and hacked away at both the liberalism and conservatism it sees in those decrepit parties. In its place there is a radical, or pseudo-radical 'populism' which is really just White Supremacist garbage dressed up as the 'righteous' anger of 'Americans' disillusioned with globalization -the buzz word for job stealing foreigners. It doesn't just mean ridiculing Conservatives like John McCain and Jeb Bush, but identifying them by their religion, as happened to the distinguished conservative Bill Kristol (see below).
    Ben Shapiro in the Daily Wire, who used to work at Breitbart has turned on Bannon in this piece here-
    http://www.dailywire.com/news/8441/i...n-ben-shapiro#
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blog_breitbart_kristol_renegade_jew.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	135.8 KB 
ID:	979357  

2 out of 2 members liked this post.
    Last edited by Stavros; 11-14-2016 at 04:05 PM.

A few news outlets saying Giuliani about to be appointed to Hillary's old job...Secretary of State. I would have guessed he'd prefer Justice Dept given his background as prosecutor. But the chance to run foreign policy has to be irresistible

Or it could be John Bolton as Secretary of State -he has a long-established contempt for Iran- while Giuliani heads Homeland Security?

In the meantime I understand Trump will not put his businesses or shareholdings into a Blind Trust and his family will run the Trump empire. Will this lead to a new definition of mergers & acquisitions?

Senior Member Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by flabbybody View Post
    A few news outlets saying Giuliani about to be appointed to Hillary's old job...Secretary of State. I would have guessed he'd prefer Justice Dept given his background as prosecutor. But the chance to run foreign policy has to be irresistible
    Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    Or it could be John Bolton as Secretary of State -he has a long-established contempt for Iran- while Giuliani heads Homeland Security?

In the meantime I understand Trump will not put his businesses or shareholdings into a Blind Trust and his family will run the Trump empire. Will this lead to a new definition of mergers & acquisitions?
    Supposedly if Trump apppoints Bolton, he will use up any political capital he has when it comes to his appointments. But there has to be somebody else for better for Secretary of State than Rudy Giuliani. It seems to me he would be in way over his head if he took that job.

So there lies the question for any Republicans who maybe don't like Trump and think he was the wrong person for the job. If offered a position in his administration, do they do what's best for the country and say yes. Or do they stick to their convictions and just wait his presidency out.

Quote Originally Posted by blackchubby38 View Post
    So there lies the question for any Republicans who maybe don't like Trump and think he was the wrong person for the job. If offered a position in his administration, do they do what's best for the country and say yes. Or do they stick to their convictions and just wait his presidency out.
    If the meetings with 'Lyin' Ted Cruz' and Mitt Romney are anything to go by it appears some people are desperate to be part of the game and have no shame when it comes to justifying their actions, though I suppose 'what's best for the country' produces a group of people who maybe think they can manipulate Donald or want to 'keep him on the right path'? Or he could like Theresa May be giving high profile jobs to people who disagree with each other to strengthen his position while weakening theirs.

What I don't understand is the relationship between Trump's business and his family and his responsibilities as President. I don't understand the mechanisms which would require Trump to put all or any of his businesses into a 'Blind Trust' -are they legal requirements or conventions? Also, the presence of his children in the transition team and at meetings with domestic and foreign leaders further blurs the distinction between Donald Trump the President, Donald Trump the businessman and Donald Trump the father with regard to decision-making, security clearances and so forth. The only parallel I can think of is JFK choosing his brother Robert as Attorney General in 1961. I am assuming this will be clearer by January.

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    If the meetings with 'Lyin' Ted Cruz' and Mitt Romney are anything to go by it appears some people are desperate to be part of the game and have no shame when it comes to justifying their actions, though I suppose 'what's best for the country' produces a group of people who maybe think they can manipulate Donald or want to 'keep him on the right path'? .
    I think this is the right question. If right wing moderates are unwilling to be a part of Trump's administration because they're ashamed of the association, that's a bad kind of self-selection. I hope that some moderating forces step up and are willing to influence him.

There are unfortunately early indications that nobody controls Donald but Donald...how else could one explain the tweets he's put up since winning the election. Very scary that people are either afraid to give him advice, don't know what advice to give him, or he cannot be influenced by sane people. There's no way a president elect should be admonishing comedians for satire, or directing vitriol at independent journalists and actors in plays. It's not that these are strictly prohibited acts, but they move in the wrong direction regarding expressive freedom given the power of his office.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

I wish someone would take away his twitter account. It's as if it's his crack and he just can't stop. It needs to sink in that being a President means you're a diplomat 24/7...your public statements usually have to be carefully thought out/chosen - your words have meaning that can't always be stepped back.

Mike Pence, on the other hand, said all the right things when asked about his 'Hamilton' experience :
    http://nypost.com/2016/11/20/mike-pe...-despite-boos/
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...antasy+Huddle)

He even raved about the play, urging everyone to see it and calling it "incredible".

Still need to wait and see what Trump does in January, but for the love of....Stop fucking going on Twitter and get a thicker skin.

2 out of 3 members liked this post.

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by fred41 View Post
    Mike Pence, on the other hand, said all the right things when asked about his 'Hamilton' experience :

He even raved about the play, urging everyone to see it and calling it "incredible".
    I agree with everything you say here. Tons to be said about subject. I personally would not boo Pence if I were at play and I could not have less respect for his politics. That said, there is a way for a democratically elected leader to act in the face of hostility...with dignity and restraint which Pence did.

The statement made to him may have taken him off guard and singled him out, but it was a measured statement. Politically embarrassing that someone feels the need to say it, but not an attack or an attempt to ridicule him.

In fact, if it were met with reassurances by Trump, Trump probably would have won political points, which I suppose he doesn't need since he already won the election. But if he wants to heal the divide, he would respond like an adult to criticism....it would not win everybody over, but it would provide some measure of comfort to the public. The reason pieces of shit feel empowered by Trump is in large part bc he responds to criticism like someone with a major personality disorder.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Senior Member Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by fred41 View Post
    I wish someone would take away his twitter account. It's as if it's his crack and he just can't stop. It needs to sink in that being a President means you're a diplomat 24/7...your public statements usually have to be carefully thought out/chosen - your words have meaning that can't always be stepped back.

Still need to wait and see what Trump does in January, but for the love of....Stop fucking going on Twitter and get a thicker skin.
    He has to realize that he is following in the footsteps of the two of the most polarizing Presidents in the history of our country. From what I can recall, neither Bush or Obama reacted negatively to the ton of crap that was said about them.

0 out of 1 members liked this post.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

I'm not sure it's fair to say the presidents were polarizing. Bush ran as a "uniter not a divider" indicating the populace was already divided.

After 9/11 Bush stood behind Muslim Americans. The whole world was behind us at that point. Then Bush blew it by invading Afghanistan and Iraq. We were divided again, not for the first time.

Nor was Obama polarizing -he has the least polarizing personality I can imagine - it was his race that was polarizing.

I believe the current division in America began when Newt Gingrich became Speaker of the House and shut down government for the first time. It was also the time when new technologies brought about a revolution in media that is still ongoing. Cable gave us 24 hour news stations devoted to their own particular slants and the Internet was just coming into its own.

2 out of 3 members liked this post.
    "...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.