Page 22 of 85 FirstFirst ... 1217181920212223242526273272 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Platinum Poster

Default Re: Donald Trump Presidency-Day One

We now know that on Day One of his Presidency, 45 discovered the letter written shortly before by President 44. President 45 has described the letter as 'long. It was complex. It was thoughtful' -and is here in full:

"Dear Mr. President -

Congratulations on a remarkable run. Millions have placed their hopes in you, and all of us, regardless of party, should hope for expanded prosperity and security during your tenure.
    This is a unique office, without a clear blueprint for success, so I don’t know that any advice from me will be particularly helpful. Still, let me offer a few reflections from the past 8 years.
    First, we’ve both been blessed, in different ways, with great good fortune. Not everyone is so lucky. It’s up to us to do everything we can (to) build more ladders of success for every child and family that’s willing to work hard.
    Second, American leadership in this world really is indispensable. It’s up to us, through action and example, to sustain the international order that’s expanded steadily since the end of the Cold War, and upon which our own wealth and safety depend.
    Third, we are just temporary occupants of this office. That makes us guardians of those democratic institutions and traditions – like rule of law, separation of powers, equal protection and civil liberties – that our forebears fought and bled for. Regardless of the push and pull of daily politics, it’s up to us to leave those instruments of our democracy at least as strong as we found them.
    And finally, take time, in the rush of events and responsibilities, for friends and family. They’ll get you through the inevitable rough patches.
    Michelle and I wish you and Melania the very best as you embark on this great adventure, and know that we stand ready to help in any ways which we can.
    Good luck and Godspeed,
    BO"
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/ba...-a7927461.html

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Gold Poster

It's almost as though Barack Obama anticipated the exact ways Trump would fail. Maybe he's not the only one but he listed very specific priorities of the President that Trump has already undermined.

Mueller is currently investigating an original draft of a letter written by Trump prior to firing Comey. I have not seen the draft, but it would be sound evidence of his mental state when he fired Comey. What Mueller comes back with in the obstruction of justice investigation and how Congress responds will determine whether our rule of law has been preserved, or is either temporarily or permanently suspended.

And of course, Trump's statement about the letter's length and complexity only shows that he did not understand that it was implicitly a statement of distrust. It's quite short and easy to summarize. Preserve equality of opportunity, don't undermine the current international order by abdicating our leadership role, and understand that you were elected for a term and have limits to your power and must have fidelity to the constitution, including the hard-won freedoms embedded in our amendments to it.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by broncofan View Post
    I have not seen the draft, but it would be sound evidence of his mental state when he fired Comey. What Mueller comes back with in the obstruction of justice investigation and how Congress responds will determine whether our rule of law has been preserved, or is either temporarily or permanently suspended.
    White House Counsel told him not to publish the letter, portions of it were redacted, and eventually Rosenstein wrote the final draft with fabricated reasons that were not Trump's. When the draft is eventually made public we will see specifically what Trump's tirade was. This news is apparently two days old, but I still don't see why this by itself should not sink him. I'm not going to state arguments again on this bc it's redundant but...

Anyway, for those who have not read about it. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/01/u...ng-letter.html

I don't know a lot about the DACA or 'dreamers' policy on illegal immigrants that was introduced by the Obama administration and flagged for removal by the President yesterday. Neither does he. One wonders what, other than his bank accounts and the tax codes he does know. Maybe that is why the Attorney General announced the change in policy, and his President passed the buck to Congress...

The blame-averse president told a confidante over the past few days that he realized that he had gotten himself into a politically untenable position. As late as one hour before the decision was to be announced, administration officials privately expressed concern that Mr. Trump might not fully grasp the details of the steps he was about to take, and when he discovered their full impact, would change his mind, according to a person familiar with their thinking who was not authorized to comment on it and spoke on condition of anonymity
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/05/u...migration.html

ps Am I right in thinking the Politics & Religion section has been moved down the Table of Contents to second-from-bottom?

Verified account Silver Poster Ben in LA's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    ps Am I right in thinking the Politics & Religion section has been moved down the Table of Contents to second-from-bottom?
    Ive honestly never paid attention to that. I think it should be a bit higher as well.

Meanwhile on DACA, all trump is doing is pandering to his base. The sooner those people realize "the jobs immigrants took away from you" aren't coming back, the better.

filghy2 Silver Poster

The 'Dreamers' are exactly the kind of immigrants the US economy needs - young, well-educated and motivated https://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/20...gs&region=Body

This makes a nonsense of earlier talk about revamping the immigration system on economic lines (like Australia and Canada). It seems the real agenda is lower immigration by whatever means.

Verified account Silver Poster Ben in LA's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by filghy2 View Post
    The 'Dreamers' are exactly the kind of immigrants the US economy needs - young, well-educated and motivated https://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/20...Blogs®ion=Body

This makes a nonsense of earlier talk about revamping the immigration system on economic lines (like Australia and Canada). It seems the real agenda is lower immigration by whatever means.
    "Make America [predominately] white again" because "immigrants are stealing our jobs" (but not the outsourcing and/or mechanization of industry.

It's time Americans for you to dig deep into your pockets and support your President by buying his Medallions, only $45 a shot.

He needs your cash.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	medal7n-3-web.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	1027383

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.3474658

In connection with the release of his latest book ,"Spies Like Us" John le Carre (David Cornwell) has been asked about his views with regard to the 'Russian connection' and Donald Trump. He recommends one should 'follow the money' and consider the time honored Russian tactic of "kompromat"
    http://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/25/bo...?smid=tw-share

Sorry for my error above, his latest book is "A legacy of Spies"