Page 11 of 85 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415162161 ... LastLast
    Gold Poster

Default Re: Donald Trump Presidency-Day One

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...ce-now/520509/

Some strong hints from Schiff that he has direct evidence of collusion between Russia and Trump associates. A rebuke of Nunes, the chair of the house intelligence committee who shared information with Trump that he thought supported the claim that Trump was wiretapped by Obama. It didn't provide that support but it was out of bounds for him to share that information with Trump and not with the intelligence committee. It's also not clear whether the information he made public was classified which would undermine his claim to being concerned about agency leaks. Anyhow, bad behavior from the Republican Nunes, and striking confidence from Schiff, although we'll find out soon enough what he's basing it on.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Gold Poster

This doesn't really go here but I couldn't figure out where to put it. I recommend this article.

https://www.theatlantic.com/internat...m_source=atltw

In Putin's response to these Russian protests, you see echoes of Trump's response to protests in the U.S. Actually, it's the other way around, but I am more familiar with Trump's false claims of paid protesters and all sorts of defamatory assertions about his opponents. Obviously the situation is worse in Russia, as Navalny, the organizer of the protests had to reach his audience through youtube as all of the media in Russia is state controlled.

Many protesters were arrested and various people fighting Putin's corruption have now been thrown in jail on trumped up charges. Ioffe seems encouraged that people turned out to protest throughout Russia and not just in Moscow. But when going out in the street to express opposition is an act of courage and in Russia it is, you know you have a long way to go before your country has stable institutions and a democratic government.

Even though we are miles away from ever getting this bad, the Republicans have a lot to answer for in providing cover and defense for the completely amoral Putin regime. Those who pretend that opposition to Russia is really a second-coming of McCarthyism really aren't paying attention to the people who die mysteriously, to the extraordinary corruption, and the complete blackout on all legitimate forms of media.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

filghy2 Silver Poster

It's interesting that Republican supporters views on Putin changed very sharply with the ascendancy of Trump last year
    http://www.vox.com/2016/9/9/12865678...lls-republican What does that say about these people?

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

That they have zero intellectual integrity. They can't even be honest with themselves, let alone honest with those with whom they argue.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Gold Poster

We can't make mistakes. Go ahead Ken.
    I'm Chuck.

Silver Poster

i was in austria for a few months, and this guy told me "your fear only salts the meat". i'm still trying to use it in a sentence and apply it to my everyday vocabulary. like "that video proves trump can fuck anything up. really salts my meat" does that sound right?

stay tuned as i come up with the perfect "salts my meat" use

Silver Poster

Quote Originally Posted by bluesoul View Post
    stay tuned as i come up with the perfect "salts my meat" use
    when i first heard trump had removed steve bannon from his national security post, i was very excited. but then i learned that he will still maintain the highest security clearance in the west wing and he'll still be advising the new (but actually former) national security advisor and i got pissed again.

really salts my meat

Eurotrash! Platinum Poster Jericho's Avatar

That GIF Salts My Fucking Meat....Puts me right off, it does!

I hate being bipolar...It's fucking ace!

Gold Poster

Jon Ossoff, a Democrat who ran in the special election in the sixth district of Georgia failed to win outright with a majority and so there will be a runoff between him and Handel. He did a lot better in each county than Hillary did on November 8, and it was a small moral victory for Democrats though not the big victory we hoped for. He also had to contend with Trump attacking him two or three times on twitter. Ossoff has lived in the district his entire life but shortly before the election moved two minutes outside the district to live with his girlfriend who is in medical school. This is enough for Republicans to call him a carpetbagger.

Republicans also seem to be mathematically challenged. I've heard a number of Republicans say that he was not able to garner a majority even with 11 Republican candidates. Dilution of the Republican field would explain why someone could win a plurality but it is not easier to win a majority simply because the rival party has many candidates. In fact, one of the reasons a majority is required is to prevent someone from winning simply because his opponents cannibalize each other's votes. So Republicans get an F in math as well as science.

Gold Poster

http://thehill.com/policy/internatio...demarks-report

The Trump corruption scandal is something a lot of people have begun to just shrug their shoulders over. For instance, when he congratulates Erdogan for consolidating power it's not clear whether he's doing it bc he has business there or bc he admires autocrats. Despite people's collective indifference there is at least one emoluments suit wending its way through the federal courts.

The case for corruption regarding China is very strong. Ivanka recently received trademarks in China for Trump business, something Donald had tried to obtain for ten years and failed until recently. It occurred just as Donald began to have cozier relations with the Chinese. This looks exactly like Trump's concessions to China on currency manipulation and the One China policy have led to a business benefit. I still am not certain what the judicial sanction would be for violating the emoluments clause...it can be like a restraining order or injunction but the President, unless he's removed from office still has to conduct foreign policy. Does it attack the property interest one obtained through corruption?