Page 56 of 85 FirstFirst ... 646515253545556575859606166 ... LastLast
    filghy2 Silver Poster

Default Re: Donald Trump Presidency-Day One

Unlike in his past business ventures, Trump seems to have repaid his Russian backers with interest this time. Putin could hardly have asked for more from this trip. Even Fox News criticised Trump's sycophancy to Putin.

The question is whether this will cause the Republicans to finally wake up and recognise the need to do something, or will they continue to sit on their hands and do nothing but tut-tut. Surely they can no longer pretend that Trump is just using unconventional means to pursue the same foreign policy goals they support. My money is on more tut-tutting - I think Trump must have their cojones in a big jar in his office.

Stavros must be on holidays or otherwise indisposed. Normally we would have had at least 1/2 a dozen posts on Trump's trip.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    Last edited by filghy2; 07-17-2018 at 09:29 AM.

Rookie Poster

why do we need a big Army bombs nuke American surrender to a Foe with with out a Shot fired NEVER IN THE HISTORY OF AMERICA HAS THIS HAPPENED

Gold Poster

would - wouldn't

same difference eh?

Senior Member Silver Poster

Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia
    Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia
    Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia
    Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia Russia

2 out of 2 members liked this post.
    Last edited by buttslinger; 07-19-2018 at 05:28 AM. Reason: Excuse my Grammer, there should be more RUSSIAs in the spaces.
    World Class Asshole

Silver Poster

supposedly trump has invited putin to the whitehouse- possibly to clear up this whole "would/wouldn't" thing

Silver Poster

love this story: cohen (trump's former lawyer) has a recording of trump discussing payments to "a playboy model" whom he had an affair with. trump's current lawyer (giuliani, the guy that married his cousin and fucked up the deuce) confirmed that trump had discussed payments.

gotta give it up to corruption, though. despite all this, these guys will still stand by their man. i wonder what the everyday citizen that's a trump supporter gains from all this though that keeps him going or does ignoring facts just become the daily business?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/20/u...rump-tape.html

Senior Member Platinum Poster

If you want to worry about something, worry about the erosion of the rule of law, and a fundamental shift that could undermine the very basis of democracy, and not just in the US.

To add to the cavalier manner in which the President tells lies, often obvious, verifiable lies, and the indifference to foreign intervention in the US election, we now have the icing, those who think that if the Russians did intervene then it was a good thing.

A voter called in to C-Spa to register her thanks to the Russians, as apparently Hillary Clinton was such a threat to the USA it may have needed the help of a foreign government.

“I'll try not to sound too awful, but I want to thank the Russians for interfering with our election to stop Hillary Clinton from becoming president,” a caller from Connecticut said.
    http://thehill.com/policy/internatio...n-from-winning

Responding to a social media tweet "“If Trump & co. just pivoted to ‘Aren’t you glad Russia helped us defeat Hillary Clinton?’ would there be any serious blowback from his base?”, Mckay Coppins received these replies-

“No,” said Cassandra Fairbanks, a writer at the right-wing news and conspiracy website Gateway Pundit (and a former Sputnik employee). “I mean, I would be cool with it. Im already there. If russia was involved we should thank them.”

“No,” responded another self-identified Trump voter. “Hillary is a greater threat to our Republic.”
    https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...russia/565592/

I am not even sure it would be ok to shrug shoulders and say 'yeah but they are right wing nut jobs' because the basic principle is that Americans appeal to Americans to vote, and should not be so desperate -for money, support of any kind- as to recruit a foreign government. But if it is the case that Americans have turned against themselves to the extent that they consider Hillary Clinton the greater threat, does this not expose a cleavage in American society that may not be repaired?

In the UK, the EU Referendum was won by the Leave campaigns that broke the law, while last night on Channel 4 News it emerged that one of the campaign groups, LeaveEU was funded largely by a man, Aaron Banks, whose claim to be a multi-millionaire may not be as strong as he claims, and whose claim he had a 'boozy lunch' with the Russian Ambassador masks numerous visit to Russia Banks has not admitted to, possibly leading to more information on Russian involvement in the Referendum. Banks is a close friend of Nigel Farage.

Law breaking, and indifference to political institutions that hold people accountable for their actions are undermining democracy as we know it. When Banks appeared at a Select Committee to discuss his role in the Referendum he treated it as a joke and half-way through got up to leave saying he had a lunch appointment more important than giving evidence to Parliament. Dominic Cummings, who was a principal organiser of the other -mostly Conservative Party run- Vote Leave, has refused to appear before any Parliamentary committee, while Alexander Nix of Cambridge Analytica also refused at least two requests before appearing, and dismissing a lot of what the Committee asked as if it were irrelevant.

The police are now involved in the UK case just as Robert Mueller is investigating claims in the US. The danger is that law breaking and lies become a norm where once they were unacceptable at any level. Once that line has been crossed, the glue that holds our institutions together begins to melt, and they fall apart. This is a slow-burn crisis, and as we have yet to feel the full force of Brexit or the insane tariff war the USA is waging -for reasons of 'National Security' we cannot know the consequences, but would you rather live in a country which respects the rule of law or not? Where politicians do not lie, or tell as many as they like?

Or is this just a blip in recorded time, and when there is a change of government we will 'return to normal'? Or will half of the USA now accept a Democrat President at all?

Senior Member Silver Poster

I forget the name of the guy on TV who said that Trump is like the guy in the car who says "You can look anywhere you want to, Officer, as long as it's not the trunk" Everything he says screams collusion. Anyone who says "there was no collusion" a thousand times can make a reasonable person conclude that there was indeed collusion. No colusion, though.

I hope Mueller exposes not only Trump but Putin as well. Those fuckin' Russians stole my Mom's IRS return one year. They say all that trouble Putin is costing the West costs him peanuts in comparison. NASA spent 2 billion for a pen that writes in space, the Russians use a pencil. Champagne taste beer-bottle budget. In fact I heard they sell beer in the soft drink section of the Moscow Safeway. Putin is one of the richest men in the world.

Last edited by buttslinger; 07-22-2018 at 01:04 AM. Reason: grammer
    World Class Asshole

filghy2 Silver Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    If you want to worry about something, worry about the erosion of the rule of law, and a fundamental shift that could undermine the very basis of democracy, and not just in the US.
    I agree there are plenty of grounds for pessimism, and we've seen it happen in some other countries whose leaders Trump so admires, albeit ones where democracy and the rule of law were less well-entrenched. I guess the saving grace is that these people are not very competent, so eventually they are bound to screw something up so badly that they can't lie their way out of it. There's a fair chance something like that will happen before the 2020 election.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post

A voter called in to C-Spa to register her thanks to the Russians, as apparently Hillary Clinton was such a threat to the USA it may have needed the help of a foreign government.

“I'll try not to sound too awful, but I want to thank the Russians for interfering with our election to stop Hillary Clinton from becoming president,” a caller from Connecticut said.
    http://thehill.com/policy/internatio...n-from-winning

Responding to a social media tweet "“If Trump & co. just pivoted to ‘Aren’t you glad Russia helped us defeat Hillary Clinton?’ would there be any serious blowback from his base?”, Mckay Coppins received these replies-

“No,” said Cassandra Fairbanks, a writer at the right-wing news and conspiracy website Gateway Pundit (and a former Sputnik employee). “I mean, I would be cool with it. Im already there. If russia was involved we should thank them.”

“No,” responded another self-identified Trump voter. “Hillary is a greater threat to our Republic.”
    https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...russia/565592/
    As a spiritual person, i see a spiritual issue here. It can boil down to a simple issue of positive thinking vs negative thinking. Long ago, a man named Jesus, weighed in on this issue, in very strong terms. He commanded us " to love one another". There are many who think, that Jesus's teachings, are for the purpose of, 'getting a good seat in the afterlife'. However I have come to see that his teachings, pave the way for a happier daily life, and also leads to have success, and other good things in this life. At this point enemies of the US now understand that planting negative energy in the US public dialogue, is more efficient than sending bombers. Unfortunately, there are also Americans, who benefit greatly from this, as well. There are super wealthy persons, and major corporate interests, who understand that the government is the major force to hold them accountable for their actions. And the do pay substantial taxes, in many cases. So it is in their interest to fund attacks on government, and to vilify democrats, who understand, that consumer demand is the major driver of the economy. Therefore working to benefit the most people, helps everyone. So Jesus speaking about, helping "the least of them", is an avenue for American prosperity. However 'fundamentalist christian movement', is centered more around the worship, and 'letter of the law' aspects of christianity. That is, finding something that you don't like, or don't understand, and finding a Bible passage that condemns it. However Jesus himself came into a society that had lots of specific rules. His message was that sometimes, the letter of laws, can lose the spirit of the law. Thus he said that Love, is what fulfills the spirit of 'God's laws'.

Actually the woman's conduct, who is quoted here, can be better understood, if one understands the concept of Satan, or the devil. Most people think of some specific looking creature, for that concept. Those are merely personifications, of the human ability to choose destruction over creation, or over positive creativity. This force resides within us all, as the choice to choose destructive paths. So I can say, "the devil made her say that", and that is the truth. However stating that, that simply, belies a complex chain of events. And at this stage of the game, we need better understanding. God can also be destructive. But his destruction here on earth is seen as largely, what man has chosen to put in the laws of the universe, (part of God). God is Love, and God is Law, God is Truth, etc. But I say that belief in God, is an overrated quality. It is really about understanding the principles 'he' stands for.

Last edited by yodajazz; 07-22-2018 at 06:57 AM.