Page 1 of 85 1234561151 ... LastLast
    Gold Poster

Default Donald Trump Presidency-Day One

So what happens if he wins? It's looking like a real prospect. Will things be not as bad as the most pessimistic fear they'll be? Will they be worse? Will it lead to apocalypse? Or utopia, if you're a fan? In this thread, you can give a summary of what you think a Trump presidency will be, from the perspective of an American or a non-American. Will our Democracy survive? Will the Republican party survive? Will it be resurgent after the fact or an irreparably damaged party?

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Senior Member Veteran Poster

Default Re: Donald Trump Presidency-Day One

If Trump does win:

I think our democracy will survive.

I don't think it will lead to an apocalypse. But America won't become the utopia again that him and his supporters think it will be either. I can see members of his own party in Congress as well as Democrats fighting him any chance they get when it comes to some of his proposals. So expect 4 more years of gridlock.

As for what will happen on the international stage, who knows? We have to wait and see who would Trump surround himself when it comes to key cabinet positions and most importantly what his doctrine will be when it comes to foreign policy. For the world's sake, lets just hope it doesn't revolve around some kind of isolationism.

If Trump does win, I don't think the Republican Party will ever be the same. I think the primary showed you that Republican voters were fed up with the status quo and were ready for something new. So they're not going to want to go back to that.

But I think the same can be said for the Democratic party one as well. Who will emerge to become the new "it" candidate in wake of Hillary's defeat and what direction will they want to take the party in. Because a Trump victory will signify that people were truly fed up with political correctness, the Left's perceived weakness on Radical Islam, and illegal immigration. That they were fed up with being labeled a racist, sexist, anti-LGBT community gun-loving xenophobe because they dared question any aspect of those aforementioned groups of people. In other words, that "deplorable" remark will wind up coming back to bite Hillary and the Democrats in the ass.

I know one thing is for sure. Regardless of who wins, you're looking at a country that is going to be divided more than ever because one of the two most polarizing candidates in history is now the President of the United States. The amount of resentment and animosity towards to what people will consider the "other side" is only going to get worse. All you have to do is look to reaction of those who opposed Colin Kapernick's stance against police brutality and the actions of some the protesters in Charlotte.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.
    Last edited by blackchubby38; 09-26-2016 at 05:53 AM.

I think it's worth pointing out that Trump is currently polling 7% of the African American vote. Among college educated women and Hispanics his numbers are almost as bad.
    Among white males, Trump's only strong demographic group, he's trailing Romney's 2012 totals. In the state by state electoral college contest, there is simply no path for Trump reaching the magic 270.

Folks this ain't BREXIT. There will be shocking result that will throw financial markets into turmoil. Clinton's no Churchill but her victory will mean the world will muddle along without weekly geo-political disasters.

The OP asks about day 1 of a Trump Presidency. My response is why stress ourselves thinking about it.

If we jot down everything he promised, looks like a very busy day

"Repeal every single Obama executive order." (He has also pledged more specifically to "eliminate every unconstitutional executive order.")
    "Repeal Obamacare." (On Trump's campaign website, he's less bullish, promising only to "ask Congress" on day one to repeal Obamacare immediately.)
    "End the war on coal."
    "Begin swiftly removing criminal illegal immigrants from this country." (More specifically, Trump has promised to do this in his "first hour" in office, "day one, before the wall, before anything.")
    "Begin working on an impenetrable, physical, tall, powerful, beautiful, southern border wall."
    Meet with Homeland Security officials and generals to begin securing the southern border.
    "Notify all countries that refuse to take back dangerous illegal immigrants who have committed crimes in this country that they will lose access to our visa programs if they continue to do so."
    Convene his top generals and inform them they have 30 days to come up with a plan to stop ISIS.
    Fix the Department of Veterans Affairs.
    Call the heads of major companies who are moving operations oversea to inform them that they'll face 35 percent tariffs.
    "Contact countries and say…'Folks, we love protecting you, we want to continue to protect you but you're not living up to the bargain'…They're not paying what they're supposed to be paying—which is very little, by the way."
    "Defend the unborn."
    "Withdraw from TPP."
    "Start taking care of our…military."
    Suspend Syrian refugee resettlement.
    "Notify our NAFTA partners of my intention to renegotiate the deal."
    "Designate China as a currency manipulator."
    "Direct every agency in government to begin identifying all wasteful job-killing regulations, and they are going to be removed."
    "Get rid of gun-free zones [in] schools" and "military bases"—which would require repealing a 25-year-old federal law. ("My first day, it gets signed, okay? My first day. There's no more gun-free zones.")
    "Ask Congress to pass 'Kate's Law'—named for Kate Steinle—to ensure that criminal aliens convicted of illegal reentry receive strong mandatory minimum sentences."
    Learn the difference between Hezbollah and Hamas.

3 out of 3 members liked this post.
    Avatar is not representative of the available product - contents may differ

Support the arsehole

Avatar is not representative of the available product - contents may differ

Senior Member Silver Poster

As I stated once before, If Trump wins, we would also win a Republican Senate, House, and Supreme Court.
    That may not be enough to guarantee a Hitleresque deportation of wetbacks, or a HUGE Wall that rivals Normandy Beach, but it is more than enough power to reverse every advance the LGBTQ community has gained under Obama.
    Hillary has her DEPLORABLES, and the Republicans have theirs.
    I sure hope everybody takes their hand off their dick long enough to Vote for the real United Stated of America and send Trump crying back to Sean Hannity for comfort.
    God, I hate those pricks.

2 out of 3 members liked this post.
    World Class Asshole

Senior Member Platinum Poster

I don't think Trump will win the Presidency, and either way Congress holds the keys to power in the US at the moment, as it has demonstrated through its deliberate, even spiteful obstruction of policies proposed by the Obama Presidency, its over-ride of the Presidential veto on the prosecution of Saudi Arabians by US Citizens, and the Senate's refusal to accept the President's nominee for the Supreme Court.

Historically, the endurance of the US political system has been shaped by pragmatism and compromise between the parties in Congress and the Presidency. Even a man as ideological and divisive as Ronald Reagan in his second term was more of a pragmatist than an ideologue, and his compromise on nuclear capability with the USSR at the time was viewed by some as a key moment in the end of the Cold War, but a betrayal of conservative principles, and a weakening of American power by those around him who went on to create the 'Neo-Conservative' agenda outlined in the Project for a New American Century.

Reagan is Trump's political idol, and one expects that after all the braying, the abuse, the insults and the threats, a President Trump would have to compromise to get any of his policies through Congress, but what we do not yet know is which party will dominate the Senate and the House, and that is where the future of policy-making lies. I also wonder if, as we have discussed before, it is not just the Republican Party that appears to have lost its way -the party remains divided between pragmatists, evangelical Christians, TEA Party radicals and Trump who has no affiliation to any of them- I sense that the Democrats are also in danger of failing to articulate a policy agenda for the 21st century where technology and communications are vital to jobs and the economy. But this is also true of our parties in the UK and Europe, making this an era of uncertainty, though we have been through such phases before.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

What I find both shocking, disappointing and depressing is Donald’s showing in the poles. Shocking, because I wouldn’t have guessed that so many people are amenable to such displays of bigotry, racism, misogyny and ignorance. Disappointing because these people must themselves harbor a great deal of ill will toward their fellow beings and depressing because the indication is that the result of this election is by no means settled.

It is true, that Donald will have to get his agenda items through the House and the Senate. But it is by no means clear he has any real commitment to any of the grandiose (if base) promises he’s been making. His real goal (it seems to me) is merely to become president - period. It’ll prove to himself (for a short while) that he is a great historical figure; a genius to be love and admired - not the spoiled little rich kid who, in his darker moments, he knows himself to be. If he does have any real commitment to the promises he made, then we can expect that he would push any number of the items Martin mentioned in post #4 above, and at least some of them would be supported by a majority of Republicans. Health care would be gutted, planned parenthood unfunded (if not dismantled), environmental regulations would be weakened or go unenforced, the Supreme Court would for a long time afterward be a protector of the privileged and champion of the mob against the civil rights of the individual, and should he cut our revenue our debt would climb once again as it does whenever the Republicans take charge. These are just the domestic issues. I can’t begin to guess what international quagmires he’d get us involved in.

It gives me no relief to think that some of his promises will find opposition, even with Republicans. The best case scenario, should he be elected, is that he loses interest in the job and effectively hands it over to Mike Pence, the evangelical governor of Indiana who supported the Tea Party, is against all manner of gay rights, doesn’t believe the scientific consensus on global climate change, is against Medicare, leads the ‘No-Amnesty’ immigration reform movement, opposed stem-cell research, denies the theory of evolution, is against the FDA regulation of tobacco, is against sex education, says condoms offer a ‘very poor protection against sexually transmitted diseases’, wants to privatize social security, and who defunded planned parenthood in his home State. I could go on about Mike Pence, but like the State of Indiana itself, he is just too fucking depressing to contemplate for any period of time.

If anybody reading this actually believes in God, please pray the American electorate doesn’t inflict these two assholes an already troubled world. If you’re an American citizen and you find the possibility of a Trump presidency even half as troubling as I do, make sure your vote counts against him.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Senior Member Veteran Poster

I think there is practical reason for Trump's showing in the polls. Both parties' conventions were in held in early to the middle of July. There was no way that Hillary was going to be able to maintain that lead she had coming out of the DNC for what was essentially 4.5 months. So that gave Trump plenty of time to get his campaign in order and whittle down that lead. Hillary's own missteps are also to blame. As well as Democrats losing their enthusiasm for her.

Having said that, I'm not shocked that this happening. Yes there are that many people who are amenable to racism, bigotry, misogyny, and ignorance. They believe that political correctness has gone too far (something I actually agree with at times), that this country is under attack from both foreign and domestic threats, and that peoples' feelings are being taken into consideration before keeping it safe. That both parties have sold this country out in the exchange for Hispanic voters and the economic well being of other countries.

But at the same time, some of the people that will vote for Trump have genuine concerns about where this country is headed/has been headed and the impact it will have on their everyday life. They feel just has disenfranchised has many Democratic voters do, but for different reasons. That's why I feel that "deplorable" remark was a huge mistake on Clinton's part. Instead of just writing off the Trump voters I mentioned in my previous paragraph, she should have been trying to convince the ones with an open mind to vote for her.

I think right now there only way those voters are going to be swayed is if someone from the Republican party with some real gravitas comes out and says that Trump is not the right man for the job. Hate to say it, but he would have to be someone like Dick Cheney.

There is a definitely worry of the unknown when it comes to Trump. As well as a worry of putting someone like Mike Pence in position where he is a heartbeat away from the Presidency. Those two factors are the only reasons why I would consider voting for Hillary Clinton.

Last edited by blackchubby38; 10-01-2016 at 04:32 AM.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

"That's why I feel that "deplorable" remark was a huge mistake on Clinton's part. Instead of just writing off the Trump voters I mentioned in my previous paragraph, she should have been trying to convince the ones with an open mind to vote for her."

-I must agree with blackchubby38, as it showed Hillary Clinton allowing Trump to shape the debate. In my view Clinton's best tactic should be to either ignore Trump's hysterical comments, or dismiss them but simultaneously focus on policy instead. So far I have not heard one contribution from either candidate on what their policies on education are. There is nothing on this on the Trump website. I feel Trump is most vulnerable on policy because his 'positions' as they are called on the website, are not thought through and resemble sound-bites. Moreover, having to respond to policy incoherence would underline just how incompetent this man is, even if you don't agree with the Clinton strategy to create jobs by expanding Federal programmes and the staff needed to implement them. But it is at least a policy that can be debated.