PDA

View Full Version : TO ALL HUNGANGELS MEMBERS...I DO NOT EMAIL ANYONE PERSONALLY

Realgirls4me
07-20-2004, 02:58 AM
Mega is right. I have recieved at least five different e-mails in the last three weeks from someone professing to be Mega, with an e-mail address akin to Mega's anonym in here. Fortunately, or unfortunately, I have a very old system, and complimentary old browser, which wouldn't allow me to open any of them here at home, so I have no idea what they contained. I tried opening them at a local library and also a Kinko's which yielded similar results when their filters blocked the opening of them. I don't know what would possess or provoke someone to do something like this, or what their motives are, but I find it shameful for someone to impersonate another poster.
I should have suspected something not just because of the lower case text leading to his/her password, but also when he/she refused to send me snippets of these files/documents, which I had requested after the first missive was sent.

Whoever is doing this, it is high time you take a good look at yourself in the mirror. You, dude. Why do you need to go there ?

NYCe
07-20-2004, 05:48 AM
No. No. No. It's not someone pretending to be mega, it's a virus. It sends out infected files from sites and it spoofs e-mail addresses that it gets from boards and search engines. It's not on the hungangels server, it nots on the aol server, for some reason we're seeing a lot of traffic from china and russia that are infected and sending out these bullshit e-mails.

We've been the victim of this shit too, people have been getting e-mails from info@hungangels.com and that is not a valid e-mail addy. I've personally gotten spoofed e-mails from seanchai, Joanna Jet, Allanah, etc and once I've checked the headers It's pretty simple to see that it's not coming from where or whom it appears to be coming from.

Just to be safe, DO NOT OPEN ANY E-MAIL CONTAINING AN ATTACHMENT FROM ANYONE YOU DON'T KNOW you'll save yourself plenty of heartache and trouble. And if you get an e-mail with a zip or compressed file and it contains a "password", delete that e-mail. We've been seeing an explosion of those e-mails in the past week.

longman
07-20-2004, 08:32 AM
The virus tries to spread by attacking the address book of the infected PC.
It attaches a copy of itself & emails every person in the hosts address book.

Email is very easy to spoof the from & reply address.
NYCe are you using the Norton Spam Gateway?
It really helps by removing like 99% of infected files before it even gets to users inbox.

NYCe
07-20-2004, 08:38 AM
We're using a procmail + spamassassin 1 2 punch right now.
Its working very well so far.

longman
07-20-2004, 08:43 AM
Procmail is great I started to use it like 3 years ago & assasin like a year ago. They really do work well together. There doesn't seem to be a way to stop the spam/virus, just the tools to help contain them.

:lol:

TeeLover
07-20-2004, 10:50 AM
WHAT THE HELL DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH T-GIRLS?!!!

Only kidding - only kidding. This same thing was floating large a couple of months ago as well. Usually "from" service providers for e-mail accounts or websites that people may have. The other popular one recently is the PayPal - give us your info garbage. Just checking the header will show you good info and like said the attachment with the "password" or "fix" is a dead give away.

SpamAssasin is great, ain't it?

jimmic
07-23-2004, 01:16 PM
Ya I was getting bombarded with mail from Sanchi [spelling names was never my forte] turns out a virus was faking his email adddress and sending out shit. I even got a mail from myself today?

looks like email might be coming to a natural end if everytime u turn on the computer their are hundreds of junk mails waiting...

p.s. fern is soooo hoooooot :lol:

popperluv
07-23-2004, 07:52 PM
Hey Mega I sent you an email so dont think its a virus and delete it. :D

pulseman
07-24-2004, 07:54 PM
Important post, definitely, but jimmic....thanks for the pic. wow.