PDA

View Full Version : The Ban Hammer Doesn't Swing Often ... but when it does.

GroobySteven
10-06-2015, 11:34 AM
This a polite reminder of the rules. I don't like banning people and prefer to give them either ample warning or enough room to hang themselves first. Some people get 'slapped wrist' bans, some longer.

If you think I (or the other mods) can be pedantic when making the decision, then yes you're right. This forum is free (the advertisers pay the way for you) and represents part of my company. If someone thinks it's cool to blow the horn for piracy and mock those who produce the content, then they're going to get kicked. If someone mis-genders, then they're out. If someone is just an utter tool, it will probably take a bit longer and then they're gone also.

Do I doubt that most of these people come back in under a different moniker? Not a bit, I know whom most of them are but as they've had their name and post count removed, it's up to them to see if they can behave.

This is nothing new, people have been getting banned from this forum long before we owned it - and for a forum to run well, it's got to have a level of respect and rules. If you have an issue with it, there are other forums out there, some of them that maybe we don't own.

In the interest of transparency and to show why some people may be missing.

Rallycola - Had a two week ban for mis-gendering - which was extended to 3 month for PM'ing said girl with taunts and threats.
Instrumental - lifetime ban for advocating piracy and generally just looking to piss off producers like myself.

A brief word about piracy, or viewing content that you didn't pay for.
We all have done it in some form or other, from taping records or the radio, to watching something on a tube site or torrenting a movie. We can mitigate it to ourselves however we wish, but the fact is, if you're taking it for free without the consent of the owner, it's theft. There is a lot of talk about how can it be theft if it's in digital form, blah, blah, which is how some prefer to mitigate it to themselves but they're dead wrong.
So although we know, that we're all doing it to some extent, to argue on this site that you are in the right to legally (or morally) steal from producers (whose revenue it is, supports this site) then you are going to get banned. I'm not interested in a dialogue with you on the rights or wrongs of how you feel. We have a small company, whose staff relies on the salaries we pay, and a lot of TS models who enjoy a share of the budget we spend on content every year - the profit margin on our content is very slim, and gets slimmer when people decide to post it for free. So anyone who has any love of this type of material, needs to be aware of that.

If you're accessing content that was stolen and re-posted from us, and I have absolute proof you are a serial offender, then we're going to look at recovering those costs from you.

Jericho
10-06-2015, 05:55 PM
Rallycola - Had a two week ban for mis-gendering - which was extended to 3 month for PM'ing said girl with taunts and threats.

Rally, really?
I know he likes the sound of his own voice, but that seems a bit out of character.
Meh, what do I know! :shrug

GroobySteven
10-06-2015, 06:50 PM
Rally, really?
I know he likes the sound of his own voice, but that seems a bit out of character.
Meh, what do I know! :shrug

Yeah it's unfortunate as he does bring a lot in - and adds a lot - and the throw away mis-gendering would have been a light slap but then PM'ing and saying basically 'he knows he'll get banned but he's going to say it like it is' pretty much speaks for itself.

legault
10-06-2015, 09:09 PM
jamie french seems to get away with a lot of stuff here

flabbybody
10-06-2015, 09:15 PM
No doubt Prince and Taylor Swift would love to take your message to their fans with a few changed sentences to make it appropriate for their area of creative endeavors (as long as they gave credit to original authorship)
The digital world has created digital thieves. I can't think of a single person I know under 30 who has their own Netflix password. For them stealing original content is a world away from putting a bottle of Grey Goose under their jacket and walking out without paying.
Keep fighting the fight Steven

broncofan
10-06-2015, 09:23 PM
. For them stealing original content is a world away from putting a bottle of Grey Goose under their jacket and walking out without paying.

And yet, not being that many years past thirty myself, it seems so goddamn obvious that the two are analogous that I can't understand the stupid contortions people engage in to deny it. #yesI'mpanderingbutit'sstilltrue

christianxxx
10-06-2015, 09:53 PM

she is part of the company that owns and operates this board. everyone should know that by now.

nysprod
10-06-2015, 10:12 PM
Last year rallycola claimed he was a college professor, then recently he said he was a doctor...goofy biatch lol

GroobySteven
10-06-2015, 11:29 PM

... and had a number of warnings and bans over the years.

Tapatio
10-06-2015, 11:51 PM
Last year rallycola claimed he was a college professor, then recently he said he was a doctor...goofy biatch lol

He could possibly be both. I don't know enough about what he said to see if his statements are incongruous. I know you don't like him much... Carry on.

Piracy is a problem- thanks for taking a stand, Steven. Law and technology have yet to catch up, and that's where society at large needs to step in.

Fucking Millenial bullshit. It's time to stop putting up with it.

DeadGirl-Productions
10-07-2015, 01:35 AM

Eh, I feel may age these days... I only come around here to promote stuff, throw my two cents in every once in great while. That's about it. Notice this account says Deadgirl Productions... the Jamie French account is still banned from ages ago, and I don't really care to have it un-banned.

gugaxamot
10-07-2015, 02:29 AM
Don't listen to h8rs Jamie.

DeadGirl-Productions
10-07-2015, 03:16 AM
Don't listen to h8rs Jamie.
Dude, I can barely hear anything at all... 20 years in rock bands will do that to ya.

sukumvit boy
10-07-2015, 03:29 AM
This whole ' mis gendering' thing is new to me. :confused:
Although it's certainly just plane rude to refer to someone by something other than what you know is their chosen gender identity.

scroller
10-07-2015, 05:56 AM
Appreciate the transparency on why people are getting banned, that was not always done in the past.

GroobySteven
10-07-2015, 01:23 PM
Appreciate the transparency on why people are getting banned, that was not always done in the past.

It depends on who they are & banned for what. If it was a legit member who posted, then it was usually explained IN the thread that got them kicked or obvious. No need to create a separate thread for it. If it's someone who has been here for only a little while and a trouble maker, then why give them the satisfaction - just kick them and move on.

hippifried
10-07-2015, 03:57 PM
Piracy is a problem- thanks for taking a stand, Steven. Law and technology have yet to catch up, and that's where society at large needs to step in.

Technology might have a chance of catching up, but the law Is reactionary by its very nature & can't possibly catch up. Copyright laws were written to protect ink on paper, basicly. Media changes. Copying used to be hard work. With the advent of the internet, anything can be copied & disseminated around the world at the speed of light. So now what? I have to wonder if the laws are enforcible anymore. Internet's been around... What? 30 years or more now? Nothing seems to be working so far. It'd be a shame if creative people lost their protections. Just seeme to me that it's the thought processes & tactics that need to catch up. I don't work in the industry, so I'm not sure exactly how. Convincing society in general that free is wrong will be a daunting task at best. Probably harder from this particular niche. Hopefully, calm deliberation will win out as it should.

P.S. What the hell is "mis-gendering"? Geezle! I resurrect from the dead to find the dictionary rewritten...

maxpower
10-07-2015, 04:18 PM
P.S. What the hell is "mis-gendering"? Geezle! I resurrect from the dead to find the dictionary rewritten...

Referring to a transwoman using male pronouns, or a male name...things along those lines.

CORVETTEDUDE
10-08-2015, 04:43 AM
I'm just here for the interesting articles!! :geek:

dreamon
10-08-2015, 06:10 AM
No doubt Prince and Taylor Swift would love to take your message to their fans with a few changed sentences to make it appropriate for their area of creative endeavors (as long as they gave credit to original authorship)
The digital world has created digital thieves. I can't think of a single person I know under 30 who has their own Netflix password. For them stealing original content is a world away from putting a bottle of Grey Goose under their jacket and walking out without paying.
Keep fighting the fight Steven

Netflix actually allows a certain amount of sharing of accounts. They have guidelines for it.

GroobySteven
10-08-2015, 11:32 AM
Netflix actually allows a certain amount of sharing of accounts. They have guidelines for it.

They allow a PAID account to be shared between family members. That's quite different.

dreamon
10-09-2015, 06:53 AM
They allow a PAID account to be shared between family members. That's quite different.

Well, yeah. I just felt that it should be clarified. There's a difference between that and what we're discussing here.