PDA

View Full Version : Favorite transgender movie

Dudedude12345
07-31-2015, 07:15 AM
Mine is "The Crying Game"

I like the character Dill, she's so innocent and beautiful and I enjoyed the scene when Dill got naked. Jaye Davidson deserved that Oscar nomination. I felt so bad for Dill when she had to talk to that guy through 3" of glass at the end

JenniferParisHusband
07-31-2015, 07:30 AM
I've always been partial to "Bugis Street." I like the Asian ladies, and the post-op character who talks about missing her cock is just gorgeous. A bit slower than The Crying Game, but if you like art-house movies, it's pretty good.

Stavros
07-31-2015, 10:52 AM
Two films I think stand out -

Boys Don't Cry (Kiberley Peirce, 1999) is about the real life case of Brandon Teena and without prejudice to the facts has some outstanding performances from Hilary Swank, Chloe Sevigny and Peter Sarsgard.

Ma vie en rose (Alain Berliner, 1997) is French film about growing up transgendered so has no sex, but is sensitive and beautifully done.

I saw Shadey (Philip Savile, 1985) a few times but not for some years now and cannot recall all of it, but it is about a young man who has telepathic powers and is in search of SRS which he achieves in the end in the most unexpected manner....stars the fine actor Anthony Sher. Not sure if it works as drama, does not seem to be available on DVD in the UK.

Mascara (Patrick Conrad 1987) is a feeble film about a serial killer and as far as I know has never been transferred to DVD. It is of interest because it stars Eva Robins and Romy Haag, in their day two of the best known European transexuals; Eva Robins may have been the first transexual to have a career in films -as an actor- and is also stunningly beautiful.

The Crying Game is poor on every level, the plot device of the British soldier kidnapped by the IRA doesn't ring true -as far as I can ascertain, only one soldier was ever kidnapped throughout the troubles -Captain Robert Nairac and he was working undercover in intelligence. The scene where Fergus discover's Dill's 'secret' and rushes into the toiler to vomit is bizarre, as most men would not behave like that but a lot would give Dill a savage beating, maybe to the point of death. Script is terrible.

If people need help, there are some internet databases, one is from 1999 the other from 2001

http://www.bcholmes.org/tg/tgmovies.html

http://www.ifge.org/movies/long_list.htm

RallyCola
07-31-2015, 02:22 PM
The Crying Game has a special place in my memory because of the timing...when I saw it for the first time, I was just beginning to understand that I was enamored with transwomen just as much as ggirls. I will agree with Stavros though...it was not a great movie. Without the so-called twist, it has nothing new to offer. Repentance? Acceptance? Vengence? Love? These are all themes done far better in other flicks.

One movie that does not get much attention, partly because it is a made-for-tv movie that, is Solider's Girl. Lee Pace plays Calpernia Adams and Troy Garity plays the army dude that falls for her but then is ultimately killed by his own unit because they are homophobic. I do enjoy this movie because it makes an honest attempt to focus on the burgeoning relationship of a transwoman and a man, instead of making it a gimmick.

darkrose2000
07-31-2015, 02:55 PM
There were also:

20 Centimeters
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0421528/

This one was fun as well:
Kinky Boots
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0434124/

And this one, which I was not able to find it anywhere...I would like to watch it:
Princesa
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0281094/

RallyCola
07-31-2015, 03:04 PM
Princesa is not a great movie but as it is about a transwoman in the game, who tries for normalcy, who then goes back into the game, I do find a sense of realism that many other movies about transwomen don't feature. Ultimately, and this may be controversial, she is the reason she can't have normalcy, not Gianni. It is not an issue of blame...it is an issue of self-acceptance. In this moment, the movie accurately portrays the struggle of many transwomen...the conflict between the woman they are and the woman they want to be.

I rented the DVD over 12 years ago from Netflix so it might be available there if the quality of the clip below is not what you are after.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nilvict35eo

JenniferParisHusband
07-31-2015, 06:10 PM
Forgot about Princesa. Ingrid de Souza is gorgeous, and really a talented actress. Good call.

maxpower
07-31-2015, 06:45 PM
I'll second Rally's vote for Soldier's Girl. A well done movie, based on Calpernia Addams' book about her experiences.

Dudedude12345
07-31-2015, 07:30 PM
[QUOTE=Stavros;1621938]Two films I think stand out -

Boys Don't Cry (Kiberley Peirce, 1999) is about the real life case of Brandon Teena and without prejudice to the facts has some outstanding performances from Hilary Swank, Chloe Sevigny and Peter Sarsgard.

QUOTE]

Chloe Sevigny appeared in a TV series about her being a transgender contract killer called Hit & Miss

One other thing: Brandon Teenas mom wasn't accepting of his gender change

fred41
07-31-2015, 07:53 PM

QUOTE]

Chloe Sevigny appeared in a TV series about her being a transgender contract killer called Hit & Miss

Loved "Hit & Miss"..http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2232345/

think it's still on Netflix. Wish they would renew it.

Dudedude12345
07-31-2015, 08:07 PM
Its okay to mention TV series too

RallyCola
07-31-2015, 08:13 PM
i really hope that people aren't enamored with orange is the new black. my wife has been binge re-watching it lately and it reminds me of how poor the writing and story is.

fred41
07-31-2015, 08:31 PM
i really hope that people aren't enamored with orange is the new black. my wife has been binge re-watching it lately and it reminds me of how poor the writing and story is.
if she likes that, she might also like the Australian show "Wentworth Prison"...it's grittier (I think it's based on the old prisoner in Cell Block H show...but no transsexuals that I can remember, at least not in the first two seasons I watched)

Dudedude12345
07-31-2015, 08:38 PM
I have never gotten Netflix

Dahak
07-31-2015, 10:43 PM
Gun Hill Road864084

Stavros
08-01-2015, 08:44 AM

QUOTE]

Thank you for the reference, had never heard of Hit and Miss before, will track it down.

bimale69
08-02-2015, 12:01 AM
Soldier's Girl.

maxpower
08-02-2015, 04:32 AM
I enjoyed a movie on Netflix recently called Boy Meets Girl. It's about a young trans woman in a small Southern town who is trying to figure out her own sexuality and where she wants to go in her life. She starts an affair with another girl that she meets, but also comes to realize she loves her best male friend, who has to deal with his feelings for her after getting jealous of her fling with the girl. The subject is treated with sensitivity and humor, and Michelle Hendley, the trans actress who plays the lead, is quite good.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3007302/

Star Angel 86
08-02-2015, 11:36 AM
Princesa is not a great movie but as it is about a transwoman in the game, who tries for normalcy, who then goes back into the game, I do find a sense of realism that many other movies about transwomen don't feature. Ultimately, and this may be controversial, she is the reason she can't have normalcy, not Gianni. It is not an issue of blame...it is an issue of self-acceptance. In this moment, the movie accurately portrays the struggle of many transwomen...the conflict between the woman they are and the woman they want to be.

I rented the DVD over 12 years ago from Netflix so it might be available there if the quality of the clip below is not what you are after.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nilvict35eo

Princesa is by far and away my favorite Transgender Movie I watched years ago on cable at my then crib in Los Feliz, Ca, I believe it was on Sundance or it could have been on IFC. I purchased it years later from Amazon.com.

Good_Guy_Crocodile
08-02-2015, 11:55 AM
"Beautiful Boxer" is definitely my favorite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuZIL4zD1tE

Or find me another movie about transexuality where the protagonist KO's someone with a spinning kick to the face :D

RallyCola
08-02-2015, 02:01 PM
thus far...no one has mentioned the Amazon series Transparent. Remember, it/Tambor won a couple of golden globes.

The one thing that is key to this show above all is that it is trying to show that Maura's transition is not novel...it is based in a life of anxiety and struggle with her assigned gender. Also, the show tries to be an open world concept (to apply a video game analogy if you will.) Most sitcoms, even when they have dramatic moments are a series of vignettes strung together where this show is trying to demonstrate that all the discrete moments it details culminate in Maura's transition. It is an effectively written show that has benefited tremendously from very timely production. Tambor is not a convincing woman at all, which just lends to the story they are trying to tell.

Dudedude12345
08-02-2015, 09:14 PM
Nobody ever said Dallas Buyers Club

RallyCola
08-02-2015, 09:40 PM
Nobody ever said Dallas Buyers Club

Hmm...i guess that has to be included but I don't see it as a transgender movie.

As it is inspired by a story of a mysogynistic homophobe who thinks only gays get aids and it is only desperation for self-preservation and financial gain that drives Woodruff to befriend Rayon as a means to an end, it is a good character study, but it would have been the same movie if Leto just played a gay guy instead of a transgender person. It is ultimately more about the changes in Woodruff over time and not really transgender issues.

LovinThaTSLadiez
08-02-2015, 10:19 PM
Princesa is by far and away my favorite Transgender Movie I watched years ago on cable at my then crib in Los Feliz, Ca, I believe it was on Sundance or it could have been on IFC. I purchased it years later from Amazon.com.

I just bought it too. It seems like it would be good. I want to watch it as soon as I get it.

tao1kiku
08-03-2015, 03:11 AM
Screaming Queens: The Riot at Compton's Cafeteria
Documentary about transgender women and drag queens who fought police harassment at Compton's Cafeteria in San Francisco's Tenderloin in 1966, three years before the famous riot at Stonewall Inn bar in NYC.