PDA

View Full Version : in search of.......

xxMelania4uxx
08-08-2006, 07:02 AM
Hey every1 i want a puppy, i havent decided what type breed, color, nothing lol, but i was wondering if any1 had any info on breeders or a good place 2 buy 1.... what i have in mind is a little Toy dog, but i always like big dog. Any Suggestions?

GlenAz
08-08-2006, 10:15 AM
If you are looking for a AKC regogized breed, I would go to a breed information site and do some research to make sure the dog's temperment is a good fit for your lifestyle. All too often people get dogs they think are cute and don't stop to consider whether that breed of dog would would fit in with their living situation/lifestyle. I know a lot of people who have learned that lesson the hard way. People get Aussi Sheepdogs (for example) and then wonder why the dog destroys everything in their apt. while they were away (that breed is high energy and highly intelligent, they need a job to do!).

Once you have narrowed down the kind of dog you would like, I would google that breed's national or local club. You can find breed specific clubs for most AKC breeds out there and they are usually happy to pass on the names of good breeders in your area. These are usually high quality breeders meaning that they check bloodlines for desease and gentitic defects that can be prominent in that breed ensuring youa healthy dog. Remember, anyone can get a male and female dog and become a breeder, some are better than others and some are REALLLY BAD!. Best to do some homework and get recomendations to rule out the latter. This will help ensure you don't end up being one of the poor souls I meet occasionally that paid $1,8000 for a dog that ended getting cancer at three years old or some other crippling desease.

As someone that does Great Pyrenees rescue I would hate to end this post without mentioning the benefits of adopting via a rescue organization. Depending on the breed of dog you are looking for, you can find some great looking dogs for far less expense than if you bought from a breeder. There are usually not puppies, some have heath problems to one degree or another, but many others are great looking, healthy dogs that simply were purchased by people that did not understand the needs of that specific breed or had to give them up due to life altering circumstances (divorce, loss of income, relocation, etc). We have had beautuful Pyrs come in to rescue that came from respected breeders for unknown reasons (dog was healthy, good looking, and had no personality flaws we could find). A great resource for rescue dogs would be http://www.petfinder.com . You can search for available dogs by breed, in your area and beyond. Terrific resource if you are looking for a specific breed or a mixed breed.

Hope this long winded post helps you in your search.

Jamie Michelle
08-08-2006, 10:27 AM
Hey every1 i want a puppy, i havent decided what type breed, color, nothing lol, but i was wondering if any1 had any info on breeders or a good place 2 buy 1.... what i have in mind is a little Toy dog, but i always like big dog. Any Suggestions?

My recommendation is to get a black Labrador Retriever.

Labrador Retriever:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labrador_Retriever

ChicagoDave
08-08-2006, 12:45 PM
Rhodesian Ridgeback

http://www.ridgebackrescue.org/

youll fall in love with a Ridgie

xxMelania4uxx
08-08-2006, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the info....it really helped, i'm going 2 get a Small puppy , a toy dog. Not sure which 1 yet....... Any Suggestions?

GlenAz
08-08-2006, 08:53 PM
Here's a link to Animal Planet's Toy Group breed listing; http://animal.discovery.com/guides/dogs/selector/toy.html

Happy Hunting,

apocarm
08-09-2006, 03:26 AM
I love my Min Pin

ohiodude
08-09-2006, 04:58 AM
get a Shiba Inu

http://www.dog.com/breed/docgrafx/shibainu.jpg

xxMelania4uxx
08-09-2006, 05:00 AM
I love my Min Pin

OOOO Hes Soooo cute!! what breed is he??? OMG
:D
u know i might look in2 a maltese never thought of it...ty

xxMelania4uxx
08-09-2006, 05:01 AM
get a Shiba Inu

http://www.dog.com/breed/docgrafx/shibainu.jpg

OOO hes cute 2 How big do they get?

ohiodude
08-09-2006, 05:07 AM
they get to be about 20lbs-30lbs i think. Have their own personality, can be considered 'aloof' but really they like time by themselves and when their ready they'll want to play.

twowaybro
08-09-2006, 07:44 AM
Well now 4 a nice city girl like urself i would recommend a Basenji...totally remarkable dog...clean and super smart. I have two. The following is a good description:

Basenjis are about the same size as a Fox Terrier. They are about 15 to 18 inches tall and weigh 20 to 25 pounds. This breed is as close to being a cat as you can get, while still being a dog. They are known to clean themselves like a house cat. Additionally, Basenjis lack “doggy odor” and make good pets for those with allergies. Basenjis come in a variety of colors, including Black & White, Red & White, Tricolor (Black/White/Tan), and Brindled. Their coats are very short, fine and slick (shiny). As their nickname implies, Basenjis do not bark, but they do make noises. It is very common for basenjis, when happy to yodel at their master (like when you come home from work and they greet you).

Basenjis make wonderful house pets because of their size, cleanliness, smooth coat and lack of barking.

Check Brines Kennel...they have a litter of pups ready now. $300.00

www.brineskennel.com

8) 8)

AllanahStarrNYC
08-09-2006, 08:03 AM
i am partial to small dogs- dogs under 10 pounds mostly.

i have three dogs- a maltese, a silky terrier, and a miniature greyhound

they each are very different in looks as well as personality

i am really partial to silkty terriers though- mine is about 5 pounds and she is soooooooooooooooo cute! this is not her- but what they look like as puppies

apocarm
08-09-2006, 08:40 AM
My dog is a Miniature Pinscher. He's not AKC registered because he was a stray, so he might be a little Heinz 57. Not sure though.

He's a bit bigger than most Min Pins get, but I know they have greyhound in the bloodline somewhere. He's not yappy at all, but he's really energetic. I have 3 acres for him to play on and he still gets away from me.

I love my Min Pin

OOOO Hes Soooo cute!! what breed is he??? OMG
:D
u know i might look in2 a maltese never thought of it...ty

xxMelania4uxx
08-10-2006, 01:11 AM
Ooooo i thnk the Basenji is really cute!

Alanah- OMG i love those little doggies, My Best friend Had 1 OoOo I love the little doggie look ...lol, How old is she or he? oh my

you see i have a Chihuahua Named Dior, i love him so much, but i cant take him places hes not evil but he just be going crazy, for example well b walking and if he see's a group of people he just RUN, for no reason. I b so Embarrassed lol

Quinn
08-10-2006, 01:39 AM
Chihuahuas are cute, but damn can they get hyper. The crazy old professor who lives down the hall from me has an unusually large one named “Pink Lady” (no, he isn’t gay). Anyway, Pink Lady is very cute and appears to be very friendly – until you stick your hand out to pet her. I’ve actually seen her leap high into the air in order to get at someone’s fingers. She has bitten at least three people in our building that I know of. Believe it or not, no one has ever sued, and the Board of Directors – of which I’m VP – won’t ask him to get rid of it because I keep blocking them from doing so. Why? Seeing Pink Lady bite our porter was one of the funniest things that I have ever seen in my life.

-Quinn

xxMelania4uxx
08-10-2006, 01:57 AM
LOL Quinn- Chihuahuas are very funny acting, Dior doesnt bite i dont know why hes VERY shy, i think cause i use 2 baby him( well thats what my mom said) for like his first year i just babied him so Much, and i think hes bored & lonely thats why i wanna get him a friend. :-) and since lately ive been traveling.

Chica
08-10-2006, 09:29 AM
http://i2.tinypic.com/24614hz.jpg

My jack russel, crossed with a staffordshire bull terrier and also albino, bit of a mouthful lol

2 of the worst dogs in the UK, combined into 1 to make one of the nicest dogs i know

mine was a stray, and when we picked him up from the shelter, he was the only dog scared in the cage, the others were all desperate to get out, so he came with us... he hasnt intentionally bit anyone and wierdly he doesn't sleep in his bed, or on my bed, usually under my quilt, nice to have in the winter for my cold feet :P ive had 3 jack russels, all been lovely, but they are big enough to look after themselves, and small enough to live with

DJ_Asia
08-10-2006, 11:59 AM
Sadly as i read this thread nowhere is there a mention of responsibility to a dog and yourself.
Go check out the local shelters packed with unwanted dogs,many of whom are there because their former owners bought them because they were"cute" or "adorable",with little attention paid to disposition,exercise needs and behavioural tendencies.

When choosing a breed,learn the patterns and choose a dog that fits YOUR lifestyle.For instance Terriers tend to be high energy dogs that require quite a bit of exercise.If your life doesnt allow for alot of walks etc,these dogs will need to vent this pent up energy...thus your chewed up shoes,furniture,carpet,remotes,cellphone,massive holes in the flower beds etc...etc...and suddenly you have another "bad" dog in the shelter,when in actuallity it is a case of a irresponsible and ignorant dog owner,not a bad dog.

Please do your research and be fair to yourself and your new dog.They can be such tremendous friends and sources of affection and happiness.Good luck.

Fitz1600
08-10-2006, 02:38 PM
How can you go wrong with this breed....so cute and cuddly!

xxMelania4uxx
08-10-2006, 09:37 PM
Chica- WOW! the 2 breeds i never would of thought combined in2 1... but
he issoo cute. My Best friend had a Jack russel and She was Very smart. the only thing she use chase after Squirrels in the street, She was cute now that i think of it.

Dj Asia- Well i have thought about animal shelters and etc.. but i really didnt want the breeds they had & also there dogs mostly aren't House trained, and thats one thing i hate! An accident here and there is ok, but 2 clean up after a dog isn't what im looking for.

P.S i want a puppy and shetlers usually dont have them and if they do they go like " Hot Cakes"

romeo
08-10-2006, 11:29 PM
Hehe !! that Silky Terrier is really cute Allanah :)

Chica
08-11-2006, 01:27 AM
lol he's a great dog, got him from the shelter when he was 2, and he's 6 now and has been great, apart from killing my budgie :( but i think he was brought up as a retrieving dog since he also killed some mice and birds outside too, but at my local shelter there are some puppies, and yeah they do go pretty fast, but i got a 12 week old jack russell, completely housetrained and everything, got on well with my dog in the pic, but had to give him away due to a death in the family which was a shame :(

DJ_Asia
08-11-2006, 07:11 AM
Chica- WOW! the 2 breeds i never would of thought combined in2 1... but
he issoo cute. My Best friend had a Jack russel and She was Very smart. the only thing she use chase after Squirrels in the street, She was cute now that i think of it.

Dj Asia- Well i have thought about animal shelters and etc.. but i really didnt want the breeds they had & also there dogs mostly aren't House trained, and thats one thing i hate! An accident here and there is ok, but 2 clean up after a dog isn't what im looking for.

P.S i want a puppy and shetlers usually dont have them and if they do they go like " Hot Cakes"

Actually I wasnt suggesting you get a dog from a shelter,thats a roll of the dice at best,I tried it once and brought home a retriever mix who was fine until 1 night i went to the restroom and when I tried to go back to bed she tried to attack me...even after I turned on the lights....

My point was to try to get a dog that suits your life and lifestyle so that your dog wont end up in a shelter from a lack of attention,exercise etc...
Each breed is unique and require different types of care.I prefer mastiffs cuZ they are big and prefer to lay around the house sit in your lap and watch tv,and of course a 150 lb dog is a deterent to any would be villains too.