PDA

View Full Version : why are there so many latin/spanish/hispanic transsexuals? THE ANSWER

natina
05-19-2015, 03:44 AM
The male suicides: how social perfectionism kill

Why Men Kill Themselves Far More Often Than Women

Social perfectionism could be at work

"In every country in the world, male suicides outnumber female," writes Will Storr in Mosaic. And not by a little bit: In the world's most suicidal countries, the male suicide rate is often six or eight times the female rate (Quartz has a pretty staggering graphic here). "The mystery is why? What is it about being male that leads to this?" For Rory O'Connor, president of the International Academy of Suicide Research, part of the answer is what he calls "social perfectionism." It seems our definition of what a man is is "stuck in the 1950s," Storr writes—breadwinner, protector, stoic. And the absence or loss of that is devastating to men. “We’ve found this relationship between social perfectionism and suicidality in all populations where we’ve done the work,” says O'Connor, “including among the disadvantaged and the affluent.”

Some of the factors that O'Connor thinks are at work in a really complicated puzzle:
• The sense that manhood can be lost: "When a woman becomes unemployed, it’s painful, but she doesn’t feel like she’s lost her sense of identity or femininity," says a clinical psychologist. "When a man loses his work he feels he’s not a man.” Echoes a psychologist: "A man who can’t provide for the family is somehow not a man anymore."
• The man as an island: "The first rule is that you must be a fighter and a winner," says the clinical psychologist. "The second is you must be a provider and a protector; the third is you must retain mastery and control at all times." While this can benefit men generally in society, it isolates them further in their dark hours. "Although women might think about suicide very seriously,” says a Cambridge psych prof, “because of their social connectedness, they may also think, ‘My God, what will my kids do?’ So there’s forbearance from completing the act.”
• Men are less likely to flinch: While more women attempt suicide, Stoll writes that in Western society, more men actually succeed.
The full piece is worth a read.

• The sense that manhood can be lost: "When a woman becomes unemployed, it’s painful, but she doesn’t feel like she’s lost her sense of identity or femininity," says a clinical psychologist. "When a man loses his work he feels he’s not a man.” Echoes a psychologist: "A man who can’t provide for the family is somehow not a man anymore."
• The man as an island: "The first rule is that you must be a fighter and a winner," says the clinical psychologist. "The second is you must be a provider and a protector; the third is you must retain mastery and control at all times." While this can benefit men generally in society, it isolates them further in their dark hours. "Although women might think about suicide very seriously,” says a Cambridge psych prof, “because of their social connectedness, they may also think, ‘My God, what will my kids do?’ So there’s forbearance from completing the act.”
• Men are less likely to flinch: While more women attempt suicide, Stoll writes that in Western society, more men actually succeed. Some of this is due to method: Men often turn toward guns or hanging, while women often use pills. "You can’t act unless you also develop a fearlessness of death," says a Florida State prof, who says that men aren't as likely to "flinch."
The full piece is worth a read. (Meanwhile, the key to the US' "Suicide Belt" could be thin air.)

http://www.newser.com/story/206778/why-men-kill-themselves-far-more-often-than-women.html?utm_source=part&utm_medium=united&utm_campaign=rss_topnews

The male suicides: how social perfectionism kills

In every country in the world, male suicides outnumber female. Will Storr asks why.

http://mosaicscience.com/story/male-suicide

natina
05-19-2015, 04:08 AM
Social perfectionism could be THE REASON. the sense of manhood can be lost if you are not a provider are a bread winner.

broncofan
05-20-2015, 03:16 AM
It's an interesting series of articles on why men may be more likely to commit suicide when they experience failures than women are; based on feelings of emasculation and a consequent loss of identity etc. But why does that explain the number of latin and hispanic transsexuals?

maxpower
05-20-2015, 04:18 AM
But why does that explain the number of latin and hispanic transsexuals?

The answer? It doesn't. It has nothing to do with it whatsoever.

natina
05-20-2015, 05:57 AM
you said it right here in your own words "based on feelings of emasculation and a consequent loss of identity etc."

man role vs. women role

It's an interesting series of articles on why men may be more likely to commit suicide when they experience failures than women are; based on feelings of emasculation and a consequent loss of identity etc. But why does that explain the number of latin and hispanic transsexuals?

broncofan
05-20-2015, 06:12 AM
you said it right here in your own words "based on feelings of emasculation and a consequent loss of identity etc."

man role vs. women role
There are two problems I see. Many mtf transsexuals report having symptoms of gender dysphoria as children. Though nothing is universal, many mtf transsexuals feel their biological sex did not match their gender identity from a very early age (even in those who do not transition until much later). There's no evidence adult men decide to become transsexuals simply because they are emasculated by a perceived failure. It's also important to note there are also female to male transsexuals, so being emasculated by life events would have no bearing on their desire to transition.

Second, I have no idea why this would have a greater effect on people of latin or hispanic background than others (except that maybe you think they are more frequently emasculated by life events and therefore more likely to transition). I don't buy any of that.

natina
05-20-2015, 07:35 AM
most if not all Latin countries or poor and if that ties into your sense of manhood then there is one of your answers.

who said that all of them or most of them felt like a woman since birth. that is your conclusion and I don't buy it.

There are two problems I see. Many mtf transsexuals report having symptoms of gender dysphoria as children. Though nothing is universal, many mtf transsexuals feel their biological sex did not match their gender identity from a very early age (even in those who do not transition until much later). There's no evidence adult men decide to become transsexuals simply because they are emasculated by a perceived failure. It's also important to note there are also female to male transsexuals, so being emasculated by life events would have no bearing on their desire to transition.

Second, I have no idea why this would have a greater effect on people of latin or hispanic background than others (except that maybe you think they are more frequently emasculated by life events and therefore more likely to transition). I don't buy any of that.