PDA

View Full Version : Republican state senator joins Democratic Party

chefmike
08-05-2006, 09:27 PM
Republican state senator joins Democratic Party

TIM TALLEY
Associated Press Writer
OKLAHOMA CITY — Republican state Sen. Nancy Riley, complaining there is no room in her party for moderates, switched to the Democratic Party Thursday and threw a new obstacle at GOP hopes of taking control of the Senate for the first time in state history.

Riley, flanked by a half dozen Democratic Senate leaders, announced her change in party allegiance while criticizing Senate Republicans for what she said was their "lack of compassion for people" and for ignoring her and other political moderates.

"The moderate Republican has been pushed aside for the extreme right wing," Riley said. Riley, a member of the Senate's GOP leadership team who holds the title of minority whip, said she has received no support among Republicans in the state Senate.

"The treatment I received in the last legislative session was abhorrent," she said, adding that her focus in the Senate has been "on families, children and the average Oklahoman."

"I was totally disregarded," Riley said. "The moderate Republican no longer has a voice."

the rest of this article here-

http://ap.ardmoreite.com/pstories/state/ok/20060803/77090196.shtml

tsluver247
08-07-2006, 12:04 AM
I commend for the switch. I know how she feels. I once consider myself a moderate Republican when the Republican party talked about fiscal conservatism and smaller government, but that has been proved false. Since Republican controlled the House, Senate, and Executive branch, our federal deficit has grown tremendously, our government has expanded, and cut taxes for the rich while continuing to pay for two wars (that is not been very fiscal responsible).

specialk
08-07-2006, 03:29 AM
I commend for the switch. I know how she feels. I once consider myself a moderate Republican when the Republican party talked about fiscal conservatism and smaller government, but that has been proved false. Since Republican controlled the House, Senate, and Executive branch, our federal deficit has grown tremendously, our government has expanded, and cut taxes for the rich while continuing to pay for two wars (that is not been very fiscal responsible).

Hell I'll go one better TSlover.........It's a formula for the Repugs. Reagan tripled the deficit in his 8 yrs, with the biggest defense build up in peacetime history. Bush's daddy had no choice in '90 but to pass the biggest tax increase in the countries history. (read my lips, no new taxes was his '88 campaign theme). So, we all know what happened to his 2nd term :lol: :lol: The only thing worse than a tax and spend Democrat, is a tax cut and spend Repug. Leave it to the next guy to fix!