PDA

View Full Version : Apologies for the downtime folks!

Russ
04-14-2015, 05:33 AM
Very sorry that the upgrade took so long... I've done this plenty of times before, but whoa, this is one big forum with a lot of attachments.

It had to re-process almost 800,000 attachments and over 1,500,000 posts which caused a good few issues during the upgrade.

I'm still in the process of re-enabling some add-ons and doing a little more styling to streamline things a little so you'll be seeing some smaller changes over the next couple of days, after I've got some much-needed sleep!

Apologies again for the delays!

Steve-Oh
04-14-2015, 06:21 AM
Looks good.
Nice clean & updated.
Good job!

JenniferParisHusband
04-14-2015, 07:00 AM
Looks good, I just wish the subscribed thread icon was a little bigger, so I could skip to the ones I mostly look at. But I guess I'll get used to it.

flabbybody
04-14-2015, 08:23 AM
no need to apologize Russ. Change is inevitable. When they roll out a new platform at work everyone gets pissed at the IT guys and they're the ones with the most stress. Of course the older folks are the crankiest because we would prefer things stay the same forever.

fab
04-14-2015, 08:38 AM
Excellent work & thanks, Russ. I'm sure everyone appreciates your work on the upgrade, I sure do & thanks again.

Vladimir Putin
04-14-2015, 08:52 AM
Very sorry that the upgrade took so long... I've done this plenty of times before, but whoa, this is one big forum with a lot of attachments.

It had to re-process almost 800,000 attachments and over 1,500,000 posts which caused a good few issues during the upgrade.

I'm still in the process of re-enabling some add-ons and doing a little more styling to streamline things a little so you'll be seeing some smaller changes over the next couple of days, after I've got some much-needed sleep!

Apologies again for the delays!

Will the YouTube links work again? How about the like/dislike buttons?

youngblood61
04-14-2015, 02:31 PM
It's all good Russ.

darkrose2000
04-14-2015, 03:01 PM
Everything is fine.

I like the new look :)

THEbottom
04-14-2015, 08:06 PM
Pictures don't enlarge anymore when clicked on ???? That's better ?????

Jimmy W
04-15-2015, 02:26 AM
I have an honest, not trying to be a dick, question: Why change the site? What does the update accomplish for those like me who peruse, post, comment and engage a few times a month? I ask because other non sexual sites I am perfectly comfortable navigating have done the same and I can't see any benefit and in fact have stopped visiting because I don't want to learn new their rules ...if I have to learn how a new website works I will take the opportunity to find one better. I would really love to know the thought process. BTW I have no opinion on the new HA layout because I haven't taken it for a test run. My question is of a very non-specific nature.

Russ
04-15-2015, 02:45 AM
There are many reasons why forum software needs upgrades - primary amongst them being security issues (old software can contain vulnerabilities) and also improvements in speed and useability, especially on a huge forum like this. It optimizes a lot of the backend functions such as searches, server queries etc.

I've tried to keep the look of this pretty similar to the previous forum is terms of layout, colours etc so that the change isn't too much of a culture shock, but hey, everywhere on the internet from little ol' HA right up to Amazon and Facebook change over time. Gotta grow with it.

It also brings with it a host of improvements that you can choose to ignore or utilize - for example, image uploading is improved, posts are auto-saved as you write them, there's an activity ticker (something I'm already using a lot!) and very importantly these days, in the next day we'll have a fully functioning mobile version of the site which should make browsing HA on your phone much more a pleasure than a chore!

I'm still adding features back in, and looking into the other issues (image enlarging, YouTube embeds etc) by the way, they will be fixed!

gaysian71
04-15-2015, 02:50 AM
Hey Russ,
no need to appologize for the downtime. Migrations can be a bitch sometimes. If every sever migration I did went totally smooth, my clients would think I was God like.

I have only viewed the new site with my phone. But it looks and works great! Like all migrations, I'm sure you will be doing some tweaking to the site. But it looks pretty damn good for the first day.

Ts RedVeX
04-15-2015, 03:43 AM
Whoever is responsible for this must have been fired from M$ just before it came up with windows 8's GUI

sukumvit boy
04-15-2015, 03:55 AM
Nice job Russ , Thank You!

Yasmin Lee Fan
04-15-2015, 04:08 AM
You guys had me worried. I had to go through 4 password changes before I finally got on here. Glad you're back. Don't know what I think about the changes yet. The only changeless thing is change.

Yasmin Lee Fan
04-15-2015, 04:38 AM
I did a couple of posts. It's easier to upload pics, but there is no preview post box .

Yasmin Lee Fan
04-15-2015, 04:48 AM
My bad. You have to use the Go Advanced box.

malc
04-15-2015, 05:30 AM
Thanks for updating this page!

:)

CORVETTEDUDE
04-15-2015, 06:25 AM
Wow...aren't we gettin' fancy!! Looks nice! Please don't litter!!

alpha2117
04-15-2015, 06:32 AM
Thanks for the work. Right now I hate it but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Maybe someone knows the answer to this. I'm getting a whole string of ads down the side for vids (not a problem in and of itself) and any pics are often obscured - and i cant see the whole pic. I cant scroll across. Anyone know how to fix that.

alpha2117
04-15-2015, 06:40 AM
Dont worry found a scroll bar at the bottom of the post.

It's not particularly user fridndly if there are multiple pics in one post and you have to go to the bottom and scroll sideways and then look back up the page to try to see if the pic is now visible properly. It would be better is it either autosized with the option to make bigger or the side scrolling was separate to the post itself.

It's all a lot of work and I apprecate people doing it but look and feel wise it's actually a lot more clunky now.

GroobySteven
04-15-2015, 10:00 AM
Dont worry found a scroll bar at the bottom of the post.

It's not particularly user fridndly if there are multiple pics in one post and you have to go to the bottom and scroll sideways and then look back up the page to try to see if the pic is now visible properly. It would be better is it either autosized with the option to make bigger or the side scrolling was separate to the post itself.

It's all a lot of work and I apprecate people doing it but look and feel wise it's actually a lot more clunky now.

No idea what you are talking about - do you have a sample post where this happens?

Jimmy W
04-15-2015, 02:01 PM
Nice work. So far it's all been very easy to use.

alpha2117
04-15-2015, 05:21 PM
No idea what you are talking about - do you have a sample post where this happens?

It happens in any thread where the pic is larger width wise than the space on the screen. The pics dont auto size what happens is a scrollbar appears at the bottom of the post where you can scroll left right - of course if there are multiple pics you cant see how far to scroll which makes it clunky.

Pretty much any thread with pics in it has examples. This one for example. Jessi Martinez & Sofia Obregon is a good example.

http://www.hungangels.com/vboard/showthread.php?10289-TG-on-TG/page126

Like I said it's all a lot of work and I'm not trying to bitch about it - just pointing out that this particular change makes it less user friendly. It might be something that is easily fixed by having the pics auto size to the width available - if not then it's not a disaster. It's just one of those things that is kind of annoying but which isn't the end of the world.

krissy4u
04-15-2015, 05:26 PM
Wow... load times are so much faster. Nice work y'all :).

Russ
04-15-2015, 05:36 PM
It happens in any thread where the pic is larger width wise than the space on the screen. The pics dont auto size what happens is a scrollbar appears at the bottom of the post where you can scroll left right - of course if there are multiple pics you cant see how far to scroll which makes it clunky.

Pretty much any thread with pics in it has examples. This one for example. Jessi Martinez & Sofia Obregon is a good example.

Thanks for the info, that helps. It's an issue on smaller screens that I'll get fixed asap.

GroobySteven
04-15-2015, 05:38 PM

Like I said it's all a lot of work and I'm not trying to bitch about it - just pointing out that this particular change makes it less user friendly. It might be something that is easily fixed by having the pics auto size to the width available - if not then it's not a disaster. It's just one of those things that is kind of annoying but which isn't the end of the world.

Thanks - this is what we need, definite issues. Those are all resized on my monitor/browser and no scroll bars. Anyone else? Going to have Russ take a look at might ask some questions.

dontarte
04-15-2015, 08:21 PM
Yes, the necessary scrolling of nearly all images is mighty irritating, especially one-handed, lol: it's the width of the ads/links on the right-hand side. Never a prob previously. An ability to widen the screen shot, hiding the r-h links would help hugely.
Thanks and keep up the excellent work on this amazing site.

Laphroaig
04-15-2015, 10:32 PM
Thanks - this is what we need, definite issues. Those are all resized on my monitor/browser and no scroll bars. Anyone else? Going to have Russ take a look at might ask some questions.

It might be a browser issue, i get the scroll bars on pictures when using Firefox, but using Opera resizes them no problem. Haven't tried Internet Explorer on my PC, but IE on my phone (Nokia 735) works fine as well.

knighthawk
04-16-2015, 12:32 AM

Apologies again for the delays!The New Upgrade looks Awesome :)

alpha2117
04-16-2015, 12:35 AM
I use Firefox so yes you are right it could be that.

GroobySteven
04-16-2015, 01:14 AM
Yes, the necessary scrolling of nearly all images is mighty irritating, especially one-handed, lol: it's the width of the ads/links on the right-hand side. Never a prob previously. An ability to widen the screen shot, hiding the r-h links would help hugely.
Thanks and keep up the excellent work on this amazing site.

Width of ads is IDENTICAL to last time.

GroobySteven
04-16-2015, 01:14 AM
I use Firefox so yes you are right it could be that.

Using latest Firefox here and not experiencing same issue.

Russ
04-16-2015, 01:57 AM
I believe it's actually to do with your screen size - if you're using a smaller monitor or resolution the large images will scroll outside of the size adjusted main panel.

The solution to this is probably to change the image display method - rather than showing all the images in full size, it would be better to show them as thumbnails which can then be click to see the full-size image. Fair few advantages to this including much faster loading times on threads with a lot of photos, slideshow style view with next/prev buttons and of course no scrolling bars for large images. Here's an example:
http://groobyforum.com/showthread.php?5421-The-all-new-Shemale-XXX-MEGA-THREAD!!

No doubt some people will think that this method is "fucking terrible, I'm outta here, fuck this", but I can live with that.

Jimmy W
04-16-2015, 03:37 AM
I was OK with the new site until I tried to start a new thread. How the fuck does one add pics? I went to the advanced and clicked the paperclip icon and stumbled onto the part where you get to select pics to upload and did upload but it didn't work? Now I have a new thread out there that makes no sense without the pictures to accompany it.

GroobySteven
04-16-2015, 10:26 AM
I was OK with the new site until I tried to start a new thread. How the fuck does one add pics? I went to the advanced and clicked the paperclip icon and stumbled onto the part where you get to select pics to upload and did upload but it didn't work? Now I have a new thread out there that makes no sense without the pictures to accompany it.

Created a walkthru for it.
http://www.hungangels.com/vboard/showthread.php?92909-How-to-Add-Images-on-the-New-Site

AshlynCreamher
04-16-2015, 02:27 PM
Any chance you guys could enable HTML and CSS for posters?

youngblood61
04-16-2015, 02:38 PM
Haven't had a problem. Have already posted some pics.

GroobySteven
04-16-2015, 02:41 PM
Any chance you guys could enable HTML and CSS for posters?

Why would you need that?

AshlynCreamher
04-16-2015, 02:52 PM
Why would you need that?

Why wouldn't I?

GroobySteven
04-16-2015, 02:54 PM
Why wouldn't I?
Exactly.

AshlynCreamher
04-16-2015, 03:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOUq4Z6R7xI

Well, at-least this new update is more video friendly :)

I simply adore the new look Mr. Grooby

maxpower
04-16-2015, 06:01 PM
Will we be able to see who likes/dislikes our posts, like before?

Laphroaig
04-16-2015, 07:16 PM
Using latest Firefox here and not experiencing same issue.

That's weird, I'm on the latest version of Firefox as well and am still getting the scroll bars. On the same laptop (standard 15.6" 1366 x 768 screen) both Internet Explorer and Opera work perfectly.

Can I ask what screen size/resolution you are using?

I'll just use Opera now. I've been thinking about changing from Firefox for a while anyway.

Russ
04-16-2015, 07:44 PM
Will we be able to see who likes/dislikes our posts, like before?

Yes, I'll get that sorted. I didn't realize it was enabled before the upgrade.

Russ
04-16-2015, 07:46 PM
That's weird, I'm on the latest version of Firefox as well and am still getting the scroll bars. On the same laptop (standard 15.6" 1366 x 768 screen) both Internet Explorer and Opera work perfectly.

Can I ask what screen size/resolution you are using?

I'll just use Opera now. I've been thinking about changing from Firefox for a while anyway.

I'm going to be moving it all to thumbnails tomorrow anyway so you can stick on Firefox if you want to. The thumbs will ensure no scrolling on large photos and faster page loads.

Just waiting for them all to re-process, been going for about 2 hours so far and it's done ~15,000 out of 750,000 images. Looks like this computer will be staying on all night!

kiaman
04-18-2015, 12:09 AM
Thank you for all your hard work. The new look kind of blindsided me, but I like it.

AshlynCreamher
04-23-2015, 02:06 PM
How can I view my post rating's???

rodinuk
04-23-2015, 02:17 PM
still pending I believe ...

I see that, but what he and I were referring to was a feature on the old version called "Post Ratings." It was on the left side of the User CP under the link for "Attachments." We could see a list of the last 50 ratings we received, which member gave the rating, which post was rated, and whether it was a good or bad rating. That's what we're looking for.

I'm not sure we're going to put that feature back. Will see if it's simple enough to do - otherwise skip it.

Jericho
04-23-2015, 10:13 PM
How can I view my post rating's???

http://www.hungangels.com/vboard/profile.php?do=helpfulans

Laphroaig
04-23-2015, 10:54 PM
http://www.hungangels.com/vboard/profile.php?do=helpfulans

That works but how the hell did you do it? Without using your link I can't find it anywhere in the settings.

Plaything
04-24-2015, 12:17 AM
That works but how the hell did you do it? Without using your link I can't find it anywhere in the settings.

Ahhah...always useful to see where the little rays of no-shine emanate from.

Russ
04-24-2015, 02:04 AM
Cheers Jericho, hadn't got round to hunting that down yet.

I've added a link in the sidebar of your settings page so it can be found again easily in future and grudges can commence again...

ssell10
04-25-2015, 05:04 PM
Is there any way to make the pics larger while viewing in a thread. They're a lot smaller than they used to be

fred41
04-25-2015, 11:03 PM
Hey Russ, you're doing a helluva nice job. I have to say - I really love some of the changes. It's a cleaner (for want of a better word) experience. Like most older folks, I was probably a teensy bit grumpy when the site first upgraded...but it didn't last very long when I looked at what actually changed.
Thumbs up to you...keep up the good work and get yourself a cold beer...you've earned it.

Russ
04-27-2015, 12:48 AM
Cheers fred41, much appreciated! :)

Is there any way to make the pics larger while viewing in a thread. They're a lot smaller than they used to be
Click on the thumbnail, then click on the image that loads in the slideshow box if you want to see the original full-size image.

maxpower
04-27-2015, 01:10 AM
I'm wondering if you're going to fix all the old youtube embeds, or if you've decided to just forego that. They show up as lines of code ([ame]...), except when they have been quoted in another post, for some reason.

Russ
04-28-2015, 02:27 AM
Rebuilding all the posts now maxpower to fix the old AME tags that are no longer relevant.

Used your Bob Mould video as a test post - such a good song, album, band... career!

Wendy Summers
04-28-2015, 02:33 AM
Why would you need that?

So I can make a style sheet that makes it look like a glitterbomb went off in each of my posts?

#see?reason

maxpower
04-28-2015, 04:14 AM
Rebuilding all the posts now maxpower to fix the old AME tags that are no longer relevant.

Used your Bob Mould video as a test post - such a good song, album, band... career!

Thanks, Russ. I appreciate all the work you have put into the new site. You're right about Mould, he's awesome. I got to see him live when Workbook first came out many years ago. Wish I had been able to see Sugar live, but never did. Cheers!