PDA

View Full Version : Air Amercia Losing Listeners (NY Post)

White_Male_Canada
08-03-2006, 06:44 PM
LEFTY NET OFF WLIB

By JOHN MAINELLI

August 3, 2006 --
RADIO

THE liberal Air America radio network is going to be harder to hear in New York.

Next month, it is switching stations - to a weaker AM station, WWRL (1600 AM).

Al Franken and his lefty colleagues are leaving WLIB (1190 AM) apparently because they couldn't come up with enough cash for the owners, former Manhattan Borough President Percy Sutton and his son, Pierre...http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/lefty_net_off_wlib_entertainment_john_mainelli.htm

08-04-2006, 04:46 AM
They'd have done well in the 1960's and 70's but seriously, America is sick of their persnickety bullshit.

I listened to that station one day here in SoCal.

It was like listening to 2 cackling hens in the check-out line at the supermarket.

Felicia Katt
08-05-2006, 05:05 AM
From the New York Radio guide
WLIB Classification B and Power, 10,000W .
WWRL Classification B Power 25,000W

those are for day time. Its true that for night broadcasts, WWRL has less power. Presently, the 6-9pm slot there is held by Larry Elder, who is hard to listen to under perfect transmitting conditions :)

FK

Nowhereboy
08-05-2006, 09:35 AM
From the New York Radio guide
WLIB Classification B and Power, 10,000W .
WWRL Classification B Power 25,000W

those are for day time. Its true that for night broadcasts, WWRL has less power. Presently, the 6-9pm slot there is held by Larry Elder, who is hard to listen to under perfect transmitting conditions :)

FK

Thank you for posting that information Felicia.

As is said of the journalism business, "never let the facts get in the way of a good story".

Incidentally, some months ago, when this story first was reported, I believe it was also reported at that time that WLIB was going to switch to a progressive talk show format with more of an emphasis on New York, or local, voices.

White_Male_Canada
08-05-2006, 06:28 PM
Biggest pockets of neo-marxist talk radio - Seattle, AAR affiliate KPTK-AM , fell from a previously respectable 2.8 share to a bottom-feeding 1.7 among all listeners 12 and older. That had KPTK tied for 23rd place overall.

Up against baseball on rival KOMO- AM, the increasingly left- leaning KIRO- AM also fell, from 4.3 to a 3.9.

In Portland, KPOJ- AM, which had been Air America's biggest nationwide success story, also took a dive: it dropped from 4.1 to a 3.5 share.

Conservative and other talk formats had better luck in the Rose City, with KXL and KEX-AM both up slightly and far ahead of Franken & Co. Until now, KPOJ's ratings had held fairly steady and it was considered a model for liberal radio's potential future national success.

Denver's KKZN-AM had also provided a previous pocket of libtalk support, but that proved to be short- lived. The station finished the spring ratings book with a mere 1.3 share, leaving it near the bottom in the overall market.

Air America has signed off in Atlanta, with few immediate prospects for finding a new home.

Air America Radio's acting CEO has been ordered to either cut millions from the bloated network's budget or condemn the left- wing talk radio experiment to the ash heap of history, the Radio Equalizer has exclusively learned.

Taking marching orders from RealNetworks CEO Rob Glaser, who also oversees and often funds Air America parent Piquant LLC, interim head Jim Wiggett is in a surprisingly tough position.

2006 Arbitron ratings, reported in greater detail by the invaluable Radio Equalizer blog, show Air America registering a weak 1.0 share in Los Angeles, an even tinier share in Chicago, and a catastrophic drop in New York City, where flagship station WLIB hemorrhaged nearly half its listenership over the last ratings period, falling from a mediocre 1.4 to a pathetic 0.8 share.

That’s smaller than the all-Caribbean format the network replaced when it first launched in New York and nowhere near the ratings of conservative heavyweights like Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity in the city. Air America’s Gotham numbers are so dismal that WLIB is booting the network off the station later this summer, industry publication Mediaweek has just announced

http:/radioequalizer.com/http:/atlanta.creativeloafing.com/http:www.humanevents.com

tsluver247
08-07-2006, 12:09 AM
How do you explain the falling ratings at Fox News Channel? Sounds like people are starting to leave the neo-con propaganda machine.

White_Male_Canada
08-07-2006, 12:22 AM
How do you explain the falling ratings at Fox News Channel? Sounds like people are starting to leave the neo-con propaganda machine.

Losing ratings? Compared to who or what ? Ratings ebb and flow. But Fox has left cnn in the dust for years.

CABLE NEWS RACE
MON., MAY 22, 2006
VIEWERS

FNC O'REILLY 2,105,000
FNC HANNITY/COLMES 1,666,000
FNC GRETA 1,494,000
FNC HUME 1,341,000
FNC SHEP SMITH 1,215,000
cnn KING 885,000
cnn DOBBS 702,000
cnn BLITZER 592,000
cnn COOPER 590,000
cnn ZAHN 527,000
cnnhn GRACE 487,000
msnbc HARDBALL 471,000
msnbc OLBERMANN 406,000 <- this is the sissy throwing fits at O`reilly :lol:

Nielsen Media Research reported that Fox News' overall prime-time lineup dropped 17% last month compared with a year ago ( CNN plummeted by 38%). httpww.latimes.com/entertainment/la-et-channel8may08,1,5034990.story

tsluver247
08-07-2006, 12:26 AM

Nielsen Media Research reported that Fox News' overall prime-time lineup dropped 17% last month compared with a year ago

You proved my point. Thank you.

chefmike
08-07-2006, 12:35 AM
Olbermann has proven O'Reilly to be a total fool(it wasn't hard), it reminds one of the way you make a total fool of yourself on this forum, white canadian cracker...

White_Male_Canada
08-07-2006, 12:50 AM

Nielsen Media Research reported that Fox News' overall prime-time lineup dropped 17% last month compared with a year ago

Communist news network,aka cnn dropped by 38% in the same time.

If that proves that Fox is the big loser then you`re as delusional as the other neo-marxists I get a kick out of. :P

tsluver247
08-07-2006, 01:13 AM

If that proves that Fox is the big loser then you`re as delusional as the other neo-marxists I get a kick out of. :P

It proves the Fox has lost viewership. Plain and simple. What is so hard to understand?

White_Male_Canada
08-07-2006, 01:19 AM

It proves the Fox has lost viewership. Plain and simple. What is so hard to understand?

You imply it is falling behind the left-wing cnn.

Fox is somewhere in the top 5 on cable. cnn is somewhere in the bottom 30 or 40. Don`t qoute me on that. I`m working off memory and it`s not worth proving the obvious by going to fetch the numbers.

tsluver247
08-07-2006, 01:31 AM

You imply it is falling behind the left-wing cnn.

Fox is somewhere in the top 5 on cable. cnn is somewhere in the bottom 30 or 40. Don`t qoute me on that. I`m working off memory and it`s not worth proving the obvious by going to fetch the numbers.

I never mentioned CNN and never implied it. All I said that the neo-con propaganda AKA Fox News has lost viewership, you even said it yourself. What is so hard to understand?

tsluver247
08-07-2006, 01:59 AM
From Fox News (http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2006Jul06/0,4670,CableNielsens,00.html)

I see Sponge Bob Square pants and Larry King Live on CNN, but I do not see a Fox News Channel anywhere in the top 5 or the top 15. Wrong again!

Felicia Katt
08-07-2006, 08:59 AM
From Mediabistro.com

6-29-06 -- The latest ratings have come out. From a year ago to right now, MSNBC's ratings are up 12 percent overall, 13 percent among viewers 25 to 54, Keith Olbernmann's ratings are up 37 percent and the Oreilly Factor ratings are down 20 percent.

FK