PDA

View Full Version : Catch 22

Plaything
03-30-2015, 03:20 PM
“His heart cracked, and he fell in love. He wondered if she would marry him.

“Tu sei pazzo,” she told him with a pleasant laugh.

“Why am I crazy?” he asked.

“Perché non posso sposare.”

“Why can’t you get married?”

“Because I am not a virgin,” she answered.

“What has that got to do with it?”

“Who will marry me? No one wants a girl who is not a virgin.”

“I will. I’ll marry you.”

“Ma non posso sposarti.”

“Why can’t you marry me?”

“Perché sei pazzo.”

“Why am I crazy?”

“Perché vuoi sposarmi.”

Yossarian wrinkled his forehead with quizzical amusement. “You won’t marry me because I’m crazy, and you say I’m crazy because I want to marry you? Is that right?”

“Si.”

“Tu sei pazz’!” he told her loudly.

“Perché?” she shouted back at him indignantly, her unavoidable round breasts rising and falling in a saucy huff beneath the pink chemise as she sat up in bed indignantly. “Why am I crazy?”

“Because you won’t marry me.”

“Stupido!” she shouted back at him, and smacked him loudly and flamboyantly on the chest with the back of her hand. “Non posso sposarti! Non capisci? Non posso sposarti.”

“Oh, sure, I understand. And why can’t you marry me?”

“Perché sei pazzo!”

“And why am I crazy?”

“Perché vuoi sposarmi.”

“Because I want to marry you. Carina, ti amo,” he explained, and he drew her gently back down to the pillow. “Ti amo molto.”

“Tu sei pazzo,” she murmured in reply, flattered.

“Perché?”

“Because you say you love me. How can you love a girl who is not a virgin?”

“Because I can’t marry you.”

She bolted right up again in a threatening rage. “Why can’t you marry me?” she demanded, ready to clout him again if he gave an uncomplimentary reply. “Just because I am not a virgin?”

“No, no, darling. Because you’re crazy.”
― Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Jericho
03-30-2015, 09:28 PM
Chaser/Admirer

Plaything
03-31-2015, 12:37 AM
Certainly.

But isn't it, actudally, the whole fuckin' nine yards...

And, completely unrelated, but I have said this before.

Genius Avatar.

Plaything
07-09-2015, 12:40 AM
“His heart cracked, and he fell in love. He wondered if she would marry him.

“Tu sei pazzo,” she told him with a pleasant laugh.

“Why am I crazy?” he asked.

“Perché non posso sposare.”

“Why can’t you get married?”

“Because I am not a virgin,” she answered.

“What has that got to do with it?”

“Who will marry me? No one wants a girl who is not a virgin.”

“I will. I’ll marry you.”

“Ma non posso sposarti.”

“Why can’t you marry me?”

“Perché sei pazzo.”

“Why am I crazy?”

“Perché vuoi sposarmi.”

Yossarian wrinkled his forehead with quizzical amusement. “You won’t marry me because I’m crazy, and you say I’m crazy because I want to marry you? Is that right?”

“Si.”

“Tu sei pazz’!” he told her loudly.

“Perché?” she shouted back at him indignantly, her unavoidable round breasts rising and falling in a saucy huff beneath the pink chemise as she sat up in bed indignantly. “Why am I crazy?”

“Because you won’t marry me.”

“Stupido!” she shouted back at him, and smacked him loudly and flamboyantly on the chest with the back of her hand. “Non posso sposarti! Non capisci? Non posso sposarti.”

“Oh, sure, I understand. And why can’t you marry me?”

“Perché sei pazzo!”

“And why am I crazy?”

“Perché vuoi sposarmi.”

“Because I want to marry you. Carina, ti amo,” he explained, and he drew her gently back down to the pillow. “Ti amo molto.”

“Tu sei pazzo,” she murmured in reply, flattered.

“Perché?”

“Because you say you love me. How can you love a girl who is not a virgin?”

“Because I can’t marry you.”

She bolted right up again in a threatening rage. “Why can’t you marry me?” she demanded, ready to clout him again if he gave an uncomplimentary reply. “Just because I am not a virgin?”

“No, no, darling. Because you’re crazy.”
― Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Bump

'The truth will set you free'

I'm not so sure.

Right now, about a whole lot of impossible things.

K.I.S.S.

I miss 'simple' and as ever, am all too capable of 'stupid'

Don't you sometimes wish you could unpick the fabric of time.

In 100 years none of this will matter.

But it matters now.

ScottyBabe
07-09-2015, 01:56 AM
One of my all time favourite books. I remember howling with laughter reading it. The part when we found out that Major Major was actually called Major Major Major Major had me in stitches!

I went on to read Heller's next book, Something Happened, and it was, conversely, the least enjoyable book I've ever read (haha).

Plaything
07-09-2015, 05:05 PM
One of my all time favourite books. I remember howling with laughter reading it. The part when we found out that Major Major was actually called Major Major Major Major had me in stitches!

I went on to read Heller's next book, Something Happened, and it was, conversely, the least enjoyable book I've ever read (haha).

I think, perhaps, my favourite of all time.

For me it is the brilliance of the central 'Catch 22' conceit: how beautifully realised Yossarian is; and the slow reveal of a young life cut short in the icy bowel of a wounded bomber.

Hilarious and heart-breaking in equal measure.

And I agree. The rest of Mr Heller's work. Not so much.

Still, if a one trick pony. It was a hell of a trick..

brummie
07-09-2015, 05:59 PM
Dont remind me of that book. I was forced to read it for an A level exam. (No not that type of a level. The other type is more pleasurable)
The most over hyped book ever. Even worse than 50 shades of grey.

Plaything
07-09-2015, 06:32 PM
'Forced' to read anything takes the edge off.

Got to disagree about whether it is any good.

But totally subjective, we are neither of us right.

Neither of us wrong.

Again.

Beauty. Eye of the beholder.

As is borne out every day in these forums.

qwerty81
07-09-2015, 08:43 PM
i didnt like the book the first time i read it in high school... i appreciated the satire of the soul crushing bureaucracy much better once i joined the military...

EZWind
07-10-2015, 01:00 AM
The most over hyped book ever. Even worse than 50 shades of grey.

....not so sure about that....read it a coupla times over the years....it gives me many belly laughs
....the movie, not so much......LOVE Alan Arkin, tho

Plaything
07-10-2015, 09:08 AM
....not so sure about that....read it a coupla times over the years....it gives me many belly laughs
....the movie, not so much......LOVE Alan Arkin, tho

The casting in the movie was great. But the storytelling a little thin. Too many layers in the book to really capture on film.

Stavros
07-10-2015, 10:21 AM
There is an interesting discussion of Catch-22 in City of Words, a study of post-war American fiction that was published by the late Tony Tanner in 1971. One of his arguments is that Americans have been obsessed with systems and how the individual fits into them, be it the political system with its layers of control from the Federal government down to the local County; or religion, or conspiracy theories; and in particular the way in which language as a system shapes the style of contemporary fiction. Systems are dominant in this case with the military which creates a completely enfolded system in which everything can be accounted for so that when Yossarian is in hospital a nurse tells him his leg belongs not to him, but to the US Government. As Tanner puts it, Yossarian in the War finds himself 'in the middle of a confusion dressed up as a system'. Fundamental to this predicament is the one which Tanner sees in a lot of American fiction, which concerns how individuals fit into society, posing the dilemma: too much autonomy involves loss of world, while too little leads to loss of self.

Catch-22 works because of its dark humour, because it has sharply-drawn characters, and because even though most of us have never been in the military, let alone a military at war, we relate to the individual in a rule-based society which can stifle personal expression or try to censor it, edit it, or push it in the direction others want it to go. I think in Heller's case it was the one book he had in him, like Ken Kesey's One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, but was followed by dreary books that never matched the quality of the first.

ScottyBabe
07-10-2015, 01:19 PM
I feel like the book doesn't lend itself well to the big screen. The sheer bamboozlement that's felt by Yossarian in his conversations with different people is difficult to get across when it's not written. The concept of Catch-22 is beautifully simple, but also bizarrely complex at the same time. Heller's gift was showing the humour in what is an otherwise horrid and dark subject.

It's in my top three books, that's for sure!

Plaything
07-10-2015, 03:34 PM
I have a military background. And have served operationally.

In a far away desolate and desert country, we climbed and patrolled an unforgiving, and hostile, mountainous terrain with a number of donkeys carrying water.

Nothing else.

As Airborne Pathfinders we took pride in carrying our own essential munitions and supplies.

During the day the donkeys were silent, irrascible and, you guessed it, as stubborn as mules - regularly taking a bite out of any trooper stupid enough to get within snapping distance: at night, as we lay hushed in ambush position, you couldn't shut them up.

However in temperatures reaching 40 to 50 degree celcius, the additional water seemed providential.

When, eventually, I enquired about re-filling some of my soldier's water bottles, I was informed that the water, carried by the donkeys, was 'for the donkeys'.

Evidently somebody further up the chain of command was a fan of Mr Heller.

Laphroaig
07-11-2015, 10:05 AM
I read a lot of books but being honest, Catch 22, is one of the few that I just couldn't finish.

Not the most overhyped book though, that award goes to The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams...

EZWind
07-11-2015, 05:06 PM
I read a lot of books but being honest, Catch 22, is one of the few that I just couldn't finish.

Not the most overhyped book though, that award goes to The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams...

...I'll second that sentiment....and the same goes for that movie, which is one of the few that I just couldn't finish.

brummie
07-11-2015, 07:58 PM
I agree ok book and crap film but brilliant on the radio or in a theatre