PDA

View Full Version : Caution: after this message this laptop will self destruct..

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
07-28-2006, 11:02 PM
http://gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2006/07/CIMG3042-1200.jpg

What the fuck is going on over at Dell?!?

Details are scarce, but it's clearly a Dell machine, and the battery compartment is now just so much cinder. The battery's in an even worse state.

The report follows an incident last month in which a Dell laptop caught fire in Japan. At the time, Dell said it was investigating the cause of the blaze, and it's certainly going to want to take a look at this latest case too, which appears to be just the latest of quite a few such incendiary events.

Dell documents leaked last week suggest the company has reports of dozens of lit-up laptops on fire

Quinn
07-28-2006, 11:17 PM
I read this the other day and wasn’t surprised in the least. Dell's laptops are so inexpensive because the parts are substandard and Dell cuts corners with the architecture. Unfortunately, I know what I’m talking about from personal experience. A little over two years ago, I bought three of them (one for my wife, one for her niece, and one for myself). The laptops belonging to my wife and I have both gone south due to a range of serious defects. The one I bought for my niece is having serious problems and is on its way out as well. NEVER EVER BUY DELL LAPTOPS………… I went back to using IBM/Lenovo ThinkPads. You pay more for them, but they are definitely worth it. Sometimes it’s just a matter of literally getting what you pay for.

-Quinn

hungluvr
07-29-2006, 02:39 AM
The Battery vendors are the ones to blame if anyone. Dells parts are not cheaper or lower quality than any other large PC vendor, in fact alot of them are the exact same parts made by the same companies for HP, IBM, Apple and the list goes on. Dell also uses an industry standard battery (Lithium-Ion in this case). Its easy to point the finger at Dell because they are the largest PC vendor in the world but a simple Google search will point you to Apple, HP, Fujitsu-Siemens and others having the same problems.

I've been managing a very large corporate IT support center for quite a few years, and of the brands we support (HP, IBM, Dell) the Dells are by far the highest quality with the least amount of issues.

JRon
07-29-2006, 03:30 AM
"Dude your getting a Dell!" - from the old Dell commercials.

I use a Dell laptop, and I personally love it. They may blow up, but their customer service is phenomenal. I thought I had a hardware problem, chatted online with a representative, and the next morning a technician came to my house to replace my motherboard. turned out, it didn't even need to be replaced, and the tech found out for me that it was a simple software issue.

But yeah, I will give up good parts in exchange for great service.

fhsjazztrumpet2
07-29-2006, 04:07 AM
I have no complaints about my Toshiba laptop, and this was the first Toshiba product I've ever had. Over two years old now, and not a single problem that couldn't be handled quickly with their accesible tech support.

Quinn
07-29-2006, 04:10 AM
The Battery vendors are the ones to blame if anyone. Dells parts are not cheaper or lower quality than any other large PC vendor, in fact alot of them are the exact same parts made by the same companies for HP, IBM, Apple and the list goes on. Dell also uses an industry standard battery (Lithium-Ion in this case). Its easy to point the finger at Dell because they are the largest PC vendor in the world but a simple Google search will point you to Apple, HP, Fujitsu-Siemens and others having the same problems.

I've been managing a very large corporate IT support center for quite a few years, and of the brands we support (HP, IBM, Dell) the Dells are by far the highest quality with the least amount of issues.

Maybe you need to do a little more research into this. Among IT professionals, Dell laptops are widely known to have problems with heat dissipation – a reflection of the fact that the company cuts corners when it comes to architecture. Let's take a look as this:

1. Of the two widely published incidents, only one was attributed to a battery. The other, was attributed to a chip.

http://news.com.com/Dells+exploding+computer+and+other+image+problems/2100-1005_3-6092059.html

2. Evidence has surfaced that the problem is both more widespread than Dell would like to be known and often occurs independent of the battery. An excerpt from a July 21st, 2006 article reads as follows:

Dell's December 2005 battery recall followed the recording of dozens of incidents over a two-year period of overheating notebooks, many resulting in melted or burned computers, it has been alleged this week as the company continues to investigate the case of a laptop that burst into flames in Japan.

The incidents are detailed in a series of documents leaked to US trade paper CRN by a source said to be close to the computer vendor. According to the paper, the records list examples of machines with melted or charred casings. Signs of overheating were not always visible near the battery. However, many appear in places associated with high temperatures during the operation of any laptop.

3. For Dell, covering up problems rather than effectively addressing them is part of the issue. One well known industry analyst put it thusly:

Accusing Dell of "an arrogant disregard for the customer" as well as "questionable business practices," he said the problem was exacerbated by "what appears to be a growing tendency at Dell to cover up problems and not correct them."

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-515833.html

Like I said previously, I bought three of the things. They all ran hot as hell, and they all had problems. Two of them are dead, and the third soon will be. It's my own fault for disregarding known issues for purposes of frugality. You get what you pay for.

To those who own a Dell laptop, I honestly wish you the best of luck – particularly at the end of the two year mark. To those contemplating the purchase of a laptop, my advice would be to avoid Dell.

-Quinn

hungluvr
07-29-2006, 04:31 AM

Maybe you need to do a little more research into this. Among IT professionals, Dell laptops are widely known to have problems with heat dissipation – a reflection of the fact that the company cuts corners when it comes to architecture.

I know hundreds of IT professionals and I dont think I have ever heard this compalint.

[ Let's take a look as this:

1. Of the two widely published incidents, only one was attributed to a battery. The other, was attributed to a chip.

Where is this stated? Also the batteries have chips installed in them that are made by Battery vendors.

[http://news.com.com/Dells+exploding+computer+and+other+image+problems/2100-1005_3-6092059.html

2. Evidence has surfaced that the problem is both more widespread than Dell would like to be known and often occurs independent of the battery. An excerpt from a July 21st, 2006 article reads as follows:

Dell's December 2005 battery recall followed the recording of dozens of incidents over a two-year period of overheating notebooks, many resulting in melted or burned computers, it has been alleged this week as the company continues to investigate the case of a laptop that burst into flames in Japan.

The incidents are detailed in a series of documents leaked to US trade paper CRN by a source said to be close to the computer vendor. According to the paper, the records list examples of machines with melted or charred casings. Signs of overheating were not always visible near the battery. However, many appear in places associated with high temperatures during the operation of any laptop.

3. For Dell, covering up problems rather than effectively addressing them is part of the issue. One well known industry analyst put it thusly:

Accusing Dell of "an arrogant disregard for the customer" as well as "questionable business practices," he said the problem was exacerbated by "what appears to be a growing tendency at Dell to cover up problems and not correct them."

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-515833.html

Like I said previously, I bought three of the things. They all ran hot as hell, and they all had problems. Two of them are dead, and the third soon will be. It's my own fault for disregarding known issues for purposes of frugality. You get what you pay for.

To those who own a Dell laptop, I honestly wish you the best of luck – particularly at the end of the two year mark. To those contemplating the purchase of a laptop, my advice would be to avoid Dell.

-Quinn

I have worked with literaly thousands of Dell laptops over tha last 5 years and I have never had one overheat, burn or blow up on me. I guess we have different experiences but I don't see the blame being on Dell because a battery vendor built and supplied faulty battery cells to PC vendors. Again do a google search and you find complaints of Apple HP and Fujitsu systems having the same problem. But again Dell is an easy target because they are the largest at what they do.

Quinn
07-29-2006, 05:14 AM
I know hundreds of IT professionals and I dont think I have ever heard this compalint.

Prior to my change of careers, I also used to work in IT. I’ve held multiple positions with global corporations based out of Manhattan and London. Among others, my titles have included Worldwide Senior Network Engineer (for a company with offices in 120 countries) and Chief Technology Officer (for a slightly smaller company). Working at those levels, issues with certain companies, their products, and their services become known over time (avoid IBM consultants, etc.). Among those I dealt with, it was known that Dell laptops had a problem with heat management, which is a reflection of poor architecture. Keep in mind, I’m not talking about laptops exploding. I’m talking about laptops running really hot and, over time, having other problems as a result – particularly if they are heavily used.

Where is this stated? Also the batteries have chips installed in them that are made by Battery vendors.

Concerning the aforementioned Pennsylvania incident, the article stated the following:

Dell said that it found no pattern of battery failure and that the Pennsylvania incident publicized by the Inquirer Web site was caused by a chip problem and not batteries.

Confirming the fact that the problem is not merely a battery driven issue, the second article stated the following:

I have worked with literaly thousands of Dell laptops over tha last 5 years and I have never had one overheat, burn or blow up on me. I guess we have different experiences but I don't see the blame being on Dell because a battery vendor built and supplied faulty battery cells to PC vendors. Again do a google search and you find complaints of Apple HP and Fujitsu systems having the same problem. But again Dell is an easy target because they are the largest at what they do.

Not one of the three Dell laptops that I purchased overheated, burned, or blew up either. However, all three did experience problems after being extensively used for about two years. Once again, look at the 2nd excerpt that I posted earlier. The problem goes well beyond a simple battery issue. The machines run too hot, which eventually causes other problems.

-Quinn

houstonshemalefan
07-29-2006, 06:11 AM
Interesting stuff. I have had my Dell laptop for 4.5 years and it still works great.

I just bought a new one because I wanted a faster/bigger drive and so far so good, *knocks on wood*

Quinn
07-29-2006, 06:49 AM
Interesting stuff. I have had my Dell laptop for 4.5 years and it still works great.

I just bought a new one because I wanted a faster/bigger drive and so far so good, *knocks on wood*

My buisness patner bought two (one for his father and one for himself) the exact same time that I bought mine. He hasn't had any problems either. It's like anything. Sometimes you get lucky, and sometimes you don't (particularly in my case). The best you can do is hedge your bets and hope for the best. Hopefully, both you and my business partner will continue to have good luck with your systems.

-Quinn