PDA

View Full Version : Thailand to recognize 'third gender' in new constitution: panel

nysprod
01-17-2015, 10:23 PM
Thailand to recognize 'third gender' in new constitution: panel
Thu, Jan 15 2015

By Amy Sawitta Lefevre

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand's constitution will include the term "third gender" for the first time, a member of a panel drafting a new charter said on Thursday, in a move to empower transgender and gay communities and ensure them fairer legal treatment.

Thailand has a large gay community, but remains largely conservative, although homosexual, transgender and transsexual people play key roles in its entertainment industry.

Thai law does not recognize same-sex unions, which keeps gay couples from taking joint bank loans and medical insurance, besides barring changes to gender categories on national identity papers.

The Constitution Drafting Committee, a group hand-picked by the military to prepare a new constitution after the previous one was scrapped following a May coup, began work this week.

Panel spokesman Kamnoon Sittisamarn said the new measure would ensure all sexual identities were protected under the constitution and treated equally by the law.

"We are putting the words 'third gender' in the constitution because Thai society has advanced," he told Reuters.

"There are not only men and women, we need to protect all sexes. We consider all sexes to be equal."

The panel will send details of the measure to the National Reform Council by April. It will need to be formally approved by the ruling junta, also known as the National Council for Peace and Order.

In 2012, a group of lawmakers and LGBT activists formed a committee to draft legislation recognizing same-sex couples that would, among other things, enable them to marry.

But discussion of the draft law was put on ice while Thailand struggled with political protests in 2013 and 2014.

Gay rights activists welcomed the decision to include the term "third gender" in the new constitution.

"It would treat all citizens equally and help to protect from discrimination in all areas including ease of doing business and also personal life," said prominent gay activist Natee Teerarojjanapongs.

The army seized power on May 22 to restore order after months of political infighting that killed nearly 30 people. It scrapped a 2007 constitution for an interim charter giving the military sweeping powers, and protection for the coupmakers.

christianxxx
01-18-2015, 03:13 AM
that's pretty fucking cool

Dahlia Babe Ailhad
01-18-2015, 03:44 AM
Hi nysprod,

This third gender thing should become a law (or a "human right") in all countries. It would end a lot of grief and make it all okay to be a trans in the mainstream society.
A lot less suicides will be taking place as a result. In time, less murders and assaults, too. All around trans-fairness should be a result if a large majority of the planet accepted transpeople as somewhat "normal" (for lack of a better word).

As i understand it, Thailand has, generally, always been more accepting of trans people.

I wonder how they (Thai people) feel about the female to male transmen.

Babe,
xoxo
http://www.merc.ca/vbulletin/images/smilies/lips.gif

nysprod
01-18-2015, 04:09 AM
Thailand has a large gay community, but remains largely conservative, although homosexual, transgender and transsexual people play key roles in its entertainment industry.

Of course I think this is great and it's a serious issue...but let's be real, this line is just funny lol

I wonder how they (Thai people) feel about the female to male transmen.

Not exactly sure, but from the report it would seem that M2F as well as F2M transgenders would be protected equally, no?

Dahlia Babe Ailhad
01-18-2015, 04:27 AM
Hi nysprod,

Yea, yea, i am sure all trans people would be protected by this new law - of course,

I am just wondering how Thai people consider transmen.
What i mean is, we all see the transwomen, right?...in Thai fashion shows, in Thai TV adverts (sometimes). The transwomen are so "out there" in the open and flaunting it all.
But the transmen?...i am not so sure how they are accepted in Thai society. Are they as accepted as the transwomen are?
Who would know this?

Babe,
xoxo
http://www.merc.ca/vbulletin/images/smilies/lips.gif

nysprod
01-18-2015, 05:00 AM
Really, I don't know about Thai attitudes regarding F2M transgenders...but I think we should remember that, while it's very important to have laws regarding equality (marriage, housing, employment etc), the feelings that people have can't be legislated or written into a constitution.

For example, due to recent incidents involving police and persons of color, despite all the laws on the books here in the U.S. race relations themselves are probably at a nadir at this time...people are quite polarized and whether that's going to change soon is something I can only hope for.

bimale69
01-18-2015, 05:41 AM
Really, I don't know about Thai attitudes regarding F2M transgenders...but I think we should remember that, while it's very important to have laws regarding equality (marriage, housing, employment etc), the feelings that people have can't be legislated or written into a constitution.

For example, due to recent incidents involving police and persons of color, despite all the laws on the books here in the U.S. race relations themselves are probably at a nadir at this time...people are quite polarized and whether that's going to change soon is something I can only hope for.

Not only that, there's still a lot of transphobic a-holes here in the USA, especially with the hateful response I witnessed on Facebook (the vile "go truck yourself" page on there, it was taken down once, and now back up, the asshole staff at FB wont take it down because somehow those idiots don't see hateful language on there).and other places.